Sign in to follow this  
Puffmac

JS41 Startup Guide

Guest BestStarmetter

Simpy use a trial version of Tweak XPorStart>startup and then delete the shortcuts and you have to enter the registry....but system 32 is needed as far as I know by windows so dont stop the loading of it.

Hello Andrew,Although I have done as you instructed, after a few minutes, the propellers have been back to feathering state. Do I something incorrectly or is this normal?Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Fushi: If the blades are not on the start locks, they will feather as the oil pressure in the hub dome bleeds down, which takes a couple of minutes. You can either try the F1-F2 sequence described above to try to get the locks again, or you can unfeather one engine and start it before the pressure bleeds down then the other engine, but if you take to long to start an engine not on the locks you'll see the feathered condition again.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello Dan,Thank you very much for your kind instructions.I have carefully repeated the sequence F2 - UNFEATER - F1 as you said and set Start Locks.However, I'm sorry, this Start Locks situation cannot be saved.Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

However, I'm sorry, this Start Locks situation cannot be saved.
This is my mistake. It is necessary to load the Start Locks situation with the procedure described on the Pilot's Tutorial page 8, for example, after C172SP's MAGNETOS, BAT, ALT and Avionics switches were off. Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

I have had issues with the JS41 with the default C172 avionics switch off... best to leave the C172 in its standard set up, engine running... load the JS41, then shut it down in accordance with the AOM, then save that setup...Andrew:Wonderful and clear to follow guide! Excellent and well illustrated, and presented beautifully...May I make one comment though: You spell stabilize/stabilise (AE/BE) and not stabalise, as you wrote...Please excuse my correction, I work as an English tutor part time... :)Andrew

I have had issues with the JS41 with the default C172 avionics switch off... best to leave the C172 in its standard set up, engine running... load the JS41, then shut it down in accordance with the AOM, then save that setup...Andrew:Wonderful and clear to follow guide! Excellent and well illustrated, and presented beautifully...May I make one comment though: You spell stabilize/stabilise (AE/BE) and not stabalise, as you wrote...Please excuse my correction, I work as an English tutor part time... :)Andrew
Woops!Thanks for pointing that out! I did my best to check that there was no errors but this one slipped! I would correct it but in order to do that I would have to ask one of the moderators to replace the badly behaving panel with an edited one, since I can't edit the original post myself :(.

Captains,It seems that there are two ways at startup the Tutorial flight:1) According to this Startup Guide (Just after launch FSX, load 'PMDG BAe JS4100 Tutorial 1 at KHPN').2) According to the discription on page 8 of the Pilot's Tutorial.A little difference: the passengers in the cabin have disappeared in the second.Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

A little difference: the passengers in the cabin have disappeared in the second.
The passengers have appeared after input # of Pax on the interactive load sheet.Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Guest David7700

This is a great guide--thanks for taking the time to put it together--I've really been struggling with this. :( :( Two questions:1. Typically with ME aircraft, it is convention to start the right engine first--why do you specify the left? Is this r/w procedure for the J41?2. If I am sure to get the props on the locks when I first enter the a/c in a cold and dark state, will moving the power levers and condition levers through their full range of motion pull the props off the locks in this sim (I'm sure it does not in r/l)? It seems my props are locked, but then 'slip off' after I have gone through the full pre-flight where I have moved the condition and power levers through their full range of motion per the AOM.Great plane--as always with PMDG! Thanks, folks!

David: We always start the left first in our C414.. anyway, the convention in the JS41 is to allow the GPU crew behind right engine to pull out and away before starting right.The prop locks are mechanical, lacking engine power movement of the levers should not unlatch the locks. Once engine is powered, the props stay on the locks until you pull reverse pitch to allow their mechanical binding to swing free.PS: The most difficult IFR clearance I ever flew was from KRIC to KTEB one dark and stormy night, I took me 15 min to find all the legs on the low enroute! I'll never forget that flight.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest David7700

Thanks, Dan. Glad you didn't end up like the Johnstown 414 enroute to TEB.I always thought there was a convention to start the right engine first in twins because passengers load from the left (certainly if there is a quick turn, the right will be left running while the left is shut down). I see the reasoning on the J41. Interesting to know what you do in the 414.Safe landings! :)

Guest David7700

Spoke to my buddy who is a FO on the Dash-8 with Piedmont. They start the right engine first.Here is a J41 startup using right first:

A SAAB starting from the right: default.jpgAnd an ATR with left engine start: default.jpg

Thanks, Dan. Glad you didn't end up like the Johnstown 414 enroute to TEB.I always thought there was a convention to start the right engine first in twins because passengers load from the left (certainly if there is a quick turn, the right will be left running while the left is shut down). I see the reasoning on the J41. Interesting to know what you do in the 414.Safe landings! :)
I dont see a problem here. If doing a quick turn around, then leave the right engine running for power and kill the left engine so you dont kill the passengers. If doing a normal start with a GPU on the right hand side, start the left engine first so the GPU guys have a more comfortable time. If the GPU guys are on the left, then start the right engine first. In all cases, switch on brain first.

Just like to say thanks for the guide and finally got the engines started. I had wondered why I had never got the prop locks disengaged call out :(

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020