Sign in to follow this  
Sharrow

Aerosoft Flight Simulator 2012

See Mathijs Kok's post here. :( Clearly MS have dropped the ball on us all and personally I cannot think of anyone better to take up the challenge. Can you?

Konrad

As Aerosoft is a direct competitor addon-wise... I would think any company that doesn't publish addons would be a far better candidate. My opinion.Also... they will not be making a remake of either FS9 or FSX... for Microsoft has flat out refused to allow anyone to purchase FS. This means there will most definitely be compatibility issues. They also won't be calling it "Flight Simulator", unless they wanna get sued by MS.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

As Aerosoft is a direct competitor addon-wise... I would think any company that doesn't publish addons would be a far better candidate. My opinion.Also... they will not be making a remake of either FS9 or FSX... for Microsoft has flat out refused to allow anyone to purchase FS. This means there will most definitely be compatibility issues. They also won't be calling it "Flight Simulator", unless they wanna get sued by MS.
The exact opposite could be argued too - someone with both extensive experience in fs addon development and an even more extensive library of addons is the exact right choice. Clearly Aerosoft will take a route which will make it as easy as possible for them to get their own addons incorporated, by extension this will apply to all other addons as well. Sure, some work will need to be done but by no means will anyone have to rebuild any modern addon to make it compatible.Is the term "Flight Simulator" registered as a trademark by MS? This sounds way too generic a term to me. I also do not see any mention of "Flight Simulator" being mentioned as reserved on the back of the FSX box...?

Konrad

Sublogic's Flight Simulator.Microsoft's Flight Simulator.Microsoft sued Sublogic over the name... it was then called Sublogic's ATP.Microsoft retained "Flight Simulator".Now... what do you think?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I hope it works.JimCYWG

I think it's great to see Aerosoft are trying to make a new flight simulator program for the desktop PC. Aerosoft should be given a big pat on the back!Rhydian

The exact opposite could be argued too - someone with both extensive experience in fs addon development and an even more extensive library of addons is the exact right choice. Clearly Aerosoft will take a route which will make it as easy as possible for them to get their own addons incorporated, by extension this will apply to all other addons as well. Sure, some work will need to be done but by no means will anyone have to rebuild any modern addon to make it compatible.Is the term "Flight Simulator" registered as a trademark by MS? This sounds way too generic a term to me. I also do not see any mention of "Flight Simulator" being mentioned as reserved on the back of the FSX box...?
I suiggest we wait until Aerosoft actually delivers something before we get too excited. Also, I believe that Flight Simulator is a registered trademark of SubLogic Corporation licenced to Microsoft Corporation. Does Aerosoft want to take on Microsoft?EDITA quick check on http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm shows that Microsoft is the owner of the trademark Flight Simulator - Serial Number 74527208: Registration Number 1895742:Owner (REGISTRANT) Artwick, Bruce INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES c/o Bruce Artwick Organization, Ltd. 2004 Fox Drive Champaign ILLINOIS 61821(LAST LISTED OWNER) MICROSOFT CORPORATION CORPORATION BY ASSIGNMENT WASHINGTON ONE MICROSOFT WAY REDMOND WASHINGTON 98052

Guest Serte

I don't see any way that Aerosoft can reinvent the wheel with AFS2012 - I'm sure they're smart enough to develop the new product to work with their existing offerings of scenery, aircraft, etc. I'm just wondering if they can take their top-of-the-line add-ons and get them integrated into AFS2012 for a price that's slightly less south of a used Cub...

Flight Simulator trademark registration in USA noted. What would be the situation in the EU, just out of curiosity? Did a cursory search through some eu registries and there are 0 results...

I don't see any way that Aerosoft can reinvent the wheel with AFS2012 - I'm sure they're smart enough to develop the new product to work with their existing offerings of scenery, aircraft, etc. I'm just wondering if they can take their top-of-the-line add-ons and get them integrated into AFS2012 for a price that's slightly less south of a used Cub...
DX11 will go a long way in the re-inventing. As will proper multi core support. I would take just those two thanks.I am sure that they have done their sums over the last couple of months - this is potentially a 2 year six-figure+ investment.

Konrad

DX11 will go a long way in the re-inventing. As will proper multi core support
I take much dimmer view. DX11 and multi-core are irrelevant to the complexities and scale of developing a brand new flight simulation from scratch. There were others here on these forums proclaiming that they were working on a brand new flight simulation engine and we never heard from them again. We know what had happened to Fly! and this was a genuine large team effort, well funded at last in the beginning. We know what X-Plane achieved and did not achieve despite being in development for long years. So I am with mgh - way, way too early to get excited.

Might be a bit off topic but...I believe if there was less pirated Aerosoft products out there and more people would actually purchase their products, then the chances of a new Flight Sim might have been even higher. I am sure one of the issues that comes up when new projects are being considered is money/finance.Best regards, :(

Sorry to get slightly of topic...Microsoft has not completely pulled the plug, they are still developing a new flight simulation game, but its partly secret, that is why no one has heard from them. The good thing is people that know and some developers (i know n4gix definitely knows, he told me some info about the next flight simulator) know that the still have a chance, and maybe even thinking of a plan for the next FS. We also know that the next Flight Simulator will be distrusted digitally, and that may have a benefit because we will have a flight sim store with all add-ons in one easy place! Online will also be much better if they use Games for Windows - LIVE which is completely free. If Microsoft makes a good product, and they usually don't disappoint, plus they have over 30 yrs experience, then Aerosoft better watch out for Microsoft, unless they know they can seriously compete with what we have now, because later on, Microsoft might have something a lot better.... Check my sig for more info, read carefully! :( Also don't forget Phil Taylor also said Microsoft is working on a new flight simulation game in his personal blog, and the reason why ACES was closed because it is now incorporated into Microsoft Game Studios. Many ACES employees even get rehired!

Sorry to get slightly of topic...Microsoft has not completely pulled the plug, they are still developing a new flight simulation game, but its partly secret, that is why no one has heard from them.
About four months ago, MS pulled the plug on any and all interaction with outside parties. The advisory and developer newsgroups have been closed, and they've firmly shoved corks in all the bungholes to prevent further information escaping.At this juncture, we have no way of knowing what -if anything- is being done... Frankly, I have real doubts now about any future product from MS.As long as hardware is available and the operating system supports them, FS9 and FSX will remain viable flightsims for the next few decades, and anything else that is released will have to be carefully evaluated as to its merits as a replacement and/or alternative flightsimulator.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FS9 and FSX will remain viable flightsims for the next few decades
Decades? that's not a typo is it? I love FSX, so I hope you are right.Rhydian