Sign in to follow this  
windycloud

Get rid of all the broken files

Get rid of them once and for all, completely. otherwise AVSIM library will forever be seen as broken and soon be forgotten by most simmers.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Get rid of them once and for all, completely. otherwise AVSIM library will forever be seen as broken and soon be forgotten by most simmers.
Geez ..... not even a "please" ???

I think I won't be falling into your "most" category, I am a bite of a oddball, I guess. Please post a named list of who "most simmers" are so I can decide whether to become a conformist or not. :(Speaking for myself of course; I am grateful for the enormous effort that the AVSIM staff has expended towards recovery from the 'hack', and as I see it, the glass is much more than half full, and filling more all the time. I could not think of asking for more than that from people who owe me nothing and give anyway. :( Best regards,Mel

I think I won't be falling into your "most" category, I am a bite of a oddball, I guess. Please post a named list of who "most simmers" are so I can decide whether to become a conformist or not. :( Speaking for myself of course; I am grateful for the enormous effort that the AVSIM staff has expended towards recovery from the 'hack', and as I see it, the glass is much more than half full, and filling more all the time. I could not think of asking for more than that from people who owe me nothing and give anyway. :( Best regards,Mel
Well put Mel -If the OP had just done a liitle searching before he "ranted", he would have discovered that the Library Managers intend to purge all "missing files" from the listings in a week or so. Before that happens they have asked all uploaders to check the listings and re-upload anything of theirs which is now missing.I too look forward to the day when the library listings are 100% accurate - but as my dear, departed mother was prone to say -- "Patience is a Virtue".

Is it possible to have a big red flag or a color coded label on each file (e.g. in search results) that doesn't exist? Please add this feature if you don't intend on purging the missing entries.

As has been stated, they eventually plan on getting rid of the missing files. They need to contact the authors of the missing files first if they do come across missing files, and with so many files that exist, that won't be easy.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Is there any news on this purge? I still regularly encounter broken files.
So far we are trying to replace the broken entries, which is a superhuman effort. If we delete all the missing files we would then not know what is missing and would not be able to contact the author and request a re-upload. We figure that AVSIM members would be happier if we can get the files re-uploaded as opposed to simply deleting all the corrupt entries and then forgetting about them. We have manged to recover a lot of files, and will continue to do so. We are deleting those entries that, for whatever reason, can not be recovered. All this is taking a long time and we will be engaged in this effort for a while yet.

Hi Guys,I would just like to echo the comments of mebull really . In a perfect world ,everything would have been sorted the day after the hack, but it ain't.The work the Library managers have put in for the love of the hobby ,and that alone , is absolutely tremendous.Avsim will always be my first port of call for all things flight-sim related.Much respect to you all. :( Stuart

Yeah, I don't see what the problem is either. You can find the same stuff on flighsim most of time. Besides, the best part about Avsim is, you can drop by, have a look at the forums, post, and then do your shopping at the library and go flying! :( You can't let go of that can you!I always check Avsim first, if it's missing then I'll look elsewhere... I also think not deleting them is a good idea.And you can always ask the other members, there is always a response.To all who put in hard work and brought Avsim back to us, thanks guys for your effort and keep up the good work! :(

I always check Avsim first, if it's missing then I'll look elsewhere...
That, my friend, in aviation is called a Standard Operating Procedure! :( I think that's what most people in the flightsim community do.Hey, BTW, a heads up to the library managers: I know it's not my "field of action" as a reviewer, but if there's anything I can help with, just let me know.

Guest lgvpilot1
So far we are trying to replace the broken entries, which is a superhuman effort.
I can quite believe it !Today I tried to download eight separate files , I got one :( IF that is a measure of your task, then I don't now whether to wish you the best of luck , or give you my condolences

I can quite believe it !Today I tried to download eight separate files , I got one :( IF that is a measure of your task, then I don't now whether to wish you the best of luck , or give you my condolences
Wishing us the best of luck is fine, no need for condolences.
...........Hey, BTW, a heads up to the library managers: I know it's not my "field of action" as a reviewer, but if there's anything I can help with, just let me know.
Thanks! If anything comes up, we'd be sure to let you know.