Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FLEX1978

FEDEX MLW

I'm having another read through the FEDEX MD11 FCOM and looking at there landing weight restrictions3 For landings at gross weights above 363,500 to 374,500 lbs., a Flaps 50

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm having another read through the FEDEX MD11 FCOM and looking at there landing weight restrictions3 For landings at gross weights above 363,500 to 374,500 lbs., a Flaps 50

yup its definately noise. Hey could you look up the MLW with the center gear retracted?

yup its definately noise. Hey could you look up the MLW with the center gear retracted?
Thanks for the reply, I'm aware that it's a noise issue, I've never seen that kind of weight restriction on any other type so curios as the why the MD11 is different?Maximum Weight (lbs.) with Center Gear Retracted TAXI - START OF TAKEOFF - IN-FLIGHT (LANDING FLAPS) - LANDING - ZERO FUELMD-11 448,000 445,000 403,000 400,000 370,000Anyone know how I can screenshot a page from a document and put it in my posts?CheersRob

Anyone know how I can screenshot a page from a document and put it in my posts?
I just hit "Print screen" and use Photoshop to crop it. You could also do it with paint.Hit print screenOpen your image program of choicePress CTRL+N for a new image (not needed to do in paint)Press CTRL+V to pasteDraw a box around what you want to save with the marquee toolGo to image>cropSave as jpg, gif, png etc... Gif is a decent format I find for file size being low, therefore making it very web friendly

If you use Vista or W7 there's a utility called Snipping Tool that lets you crop your screenshot without using photoshop / paint. Its available at Start->All Programs->Accessories->Snipping tool. Very useful to create a hotkey for it if you take alot of screenshots

I would not have said 1,500 lbs reduction was huge.
Hi Paul,MLW for the MD11F is 481,000 lbs & with APU running it's 373,000 lbs thats a bit more then 1,500 lbs RegardsRob

I can't say for sure, as I've never dispatched an MD-11 (and the DC-10-30F's I did dispatch didn't have any such limitation), but... if the manual explicitly states that it's a Stage III thing, then we can make a guess or two.Like all heavy jets, the DC-10's APU is fairly loud, and obviously, Stage III rules are all about cumulative noise exposure and max dB. My guess is that to offset the added APU noise, the engines must be at a lower N1 (or EPR) in order to remain under the dB limit. Once this lower power setting has been established, based upon a known configuration (gear down, flaps 50, for instance), one could determine the maximum gross weight that can be carried. The result is a greatly reduced MLW.I spent a little bit of time working at the Memphis airport, and I don't recall the MD-11's being terribly loud or anything. Certainly nothing like the 727's. Similarly, in all of my time working at Emery, and for all the World Airways and Gemini MD-11's I worked, I never recall thinking that the APU was any louder than other jets. It's hard to imagine that its loud enough to cause certification problems with Stage III.***Off-topic ramble follows***For what it's worth, the loudest APU's I've ever heard were on the Jungle Jets (Emb-145). I used to wear both "yellow squishy's" and "Earmuffs" on the ramp, and it was STILL uncomfortable to stand next to those things. It was ridiculous. And for a bit of trivia, the loudest engines i've ever heard are on the Lockheed Electra. I had to work one on the ramp in Atlanta, and I was out on the #3 engine manning the airstart hose. With three engines turning, standing under the wing was almost unbearable. I grew up on an Air Force base, and I've worked at too many airports to list, so I have an appreciation of loud things. But that Electra took the cake.

Interesting ramble, Nick. What about the renown Cessna fighter known as the tweety bird (T-33)! I grimace when I see one of those taxing my way on the ramp. Worst high pitch I ever heard. Air and Space magazine had a nice article on these recently (fine magazine, highly recommended).

Great post nick thanks, I spent most of my childhood living in Airforce bases in Germany,Africa & Oman, lots of good memories:)Paul, I'm not sure so I use Flap 50 when above 363,000lbs Regards

Interesting ramble, Nick. What about the renown Cessna fighter known as the tweety bird (T-33)! I grimace when I see one of those taxing my way on the ramp. Worst high pitch I ever heard. Air and Space magazine had a nice article on these recently (fine magazine, highly recommended).
Hey Dan,Not sure about the T-33, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen one of those. Did you mean the T-37?You're right, they're certainly famous for that high pitched scream. But I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one, that Electra at idle was far louder than anything I've heard except for fighters in AB, (and maybe the EA-6B).Incidentally, the last Tweet class just graduated last year, I think it was at Vance. They had a cool class patch to honor the heritage of the jet. I don't have a link handy, but you can search the forum at Baseops.net for a look.

Oops, yeah that T-37. I've been getting numbers jumbled a lot lately. Fighters in AB always reminds me of my stint in Viet Nam working as a communications techie in a big metal building near the end of the runway at Tan Son Nhut and everytime an F-4 would hit AB for takeoff it was like being inside a drum that just got hit with a big drumstick. Boom! Pretty impressive. I'm pretty sure I got this nomenclature correct... the Phantom. Ah! What a monster, my first Thunderbird show was with those big smokey loud fast son of a guns. Wow. Lots of testosterone.

Oops, yeah that T-37. I've been getting numbers jumbled a lot lately. Fighters in AB always reminds me of my stint in Viet Nam working as a communications techie in a big metal building near the end of the runway at Tan Son Nhut and everytime an F-4 would hit AB for takeoff it was like being inside a drum that just got hit with a big drumstick. Boom! Pretty impressive. I'm pretty sure I got this nomenclature correct... the Phantom. Ah! What a monster, my first Thunderbird show was with those big smokey loud fast son of a guns. Wow. Lots of testosterone.
Sorry to the OP for the threadjack!Dan, no worries! Once upon a time I was closed traffic at Wrigh-Patterson AFB in a Warrior, and the tower controller advised me that a C-26 (Metroliner) was on final for the parallel runway. The crew politely corrected her that they were a C-21 (Learjet). The next time around, a C-141 checked in, and she told them that they were #2 behind a C-23 (Sherpa). The crew politely reminded her again that they were still a C-21. After that, she just just started calling the traffic as a "learjet".One of the few pictures I have of my dad is of him on the ladder of his F-4, getting ready for his fini-flight. We had F-4's out here at Wright-Patt for many years while I was growing up. Besides the AB as you mentioned, I remember the distinct note of the intake ramps moving and changing the intake note as they raced around the pattern. How I miss that sound! F-16's replaced the F-4's here about 1990'ish, and those gave way to the C-141 and now the C-5. Each of them have such a distinct sound, I can ID them sight unseen. Good times, indeed!

Sorry to the OP for the threadjack!Dan, no worries! Once upon a time I was closed traffic at Wrigh-Patterson AFB in a Warrior, and the tower controller advised me that a C-26 (Metroliner) was on final for the parallel runway. The crew politely corrected her that they were a C-21 (Learjet). The next time around, a C-141 checked in, and she told them that they were #2 behind a C-23 (Sherpa). The crew politely reminded her again that they were still a C-21. After that, she just just started calling the traffic as a "learjet".One of the few pictures I have of my dad is of him on the ladder of his F-4, getting ready for his fini-flight. We had F-4's out here at Wright-Patt for many years while I was growing up. Besides the AB as you mentioned, I remember the distinct note of the intake ramps moving and changing the intake note as they raced around the pattern. How I miss that sound! F-16's replaced the F-4's here about 1990'ish, and those gave way to the C-141 and now the C-5. Each of them have such a distinct sound, I can ID them sight unseen. Good times, indeed!
Yes sorry for bringing my old man up lol but if your father flew F4's he may be interested in this book, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-media/...lery/0552116157My dad wrote it when I was about 2 years old and he was flying F4's in the RAF growing up I remember pictures of the aircraft all over the house and the sound of those engines are amazing

Neither of these limitations are related to the MD-11. They are limited to the MD-10-10 with steel brakes only.
Allen, I've reread that section after your post and you are correct. It is the MD10-10-10 Whenever I read through the FCOM I need to be more carefull as they seem to have grouped both types together. I'm surprised thety didn't create a seperate FCOM for the MD10. The flightdecks are the same but there are large differences in other areas.TCAS_CLIMB you have mailCheersRob

The aircraft are grouped together because of their commonality. The MD-10 employs and ACF (Advanced Common Flightdeck) which allows pilots to be qualified in both aircraft. Even the checkists are the same for both aircraft. This also allows the manuals to be combined, however in most other manual's cases they are separated. In fact, the MD-10 is more technologically advanced than the MD-11 is in many cases.

Allan, could you give us an example of how the MD10 is more advanced than the MD11?

Allan, could you give us an example of how the MD10 is more advanced than the MD11?
Some of the MD10's have HUDS so thats one thing. There is a forum on the net where a lot of MD10 & MD11 Fedex pilots post and a lot of posts are about being type rated on both aircraft, they all seem very unhappy about having to fly both aircraft. The funny thing is most would prefer to fly the MD10.The A330/340 are more alike and they have separate FCOMS and any airline that fly's both require crews to operate both, sometimes even on the same block.

Some of the MD10's have HUDS so thats one thing. There is a forum on the net where a lot of MD10 & MD11 Fedex pilots post and a lot of posts are about being type rated on both aircraft, they all seem very unhappy about having to fly both aircraft. The funny thing is most would prefer to fly the MD10.The A330/340 are more alike and they have separate FCOMS and any airline that fly's both require crews to operate both, sometimes even on the same block.
I'm pretty sure i saw a video with a FEDEX MD11 with HUDS also.

I'm pretty sure i saw a video with a FEDEX MD11 with HUDS also.
You may be right, my info is from early last year and all the tests where being done on the MD10 aircraft, they planed to roll it out across the whole fleet so not surprising if it's made it's way on to the MD11. I'm pretty sure there is a payware MD10 with a hud out there somewhere.