Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest FsFlyer

Would buying a SSD drive boost FSX performence ?

Guest FsFlyer

HiWould buying a SSD drive boost FSX performence ??

The FPS rate remains unchanged.Since I installed my FSX on a good SSD, the sim runs more fluid and smooth. The textures are always immediately sharp. There are no blurried textures any more. I highly recommend a good SSD for the FSX. :(

Anyone done tests?
I use a 160 GB Intel X-25M SSD for my FS drive. FSX loads in ~20 sec vs 3 min from a 10,000 RPM 300Gb WD Velociraptor with the exact same configuration mirrored on it. I also note that I almost never see stutters when turning on the ground or in close proximity to dense autogen scenery.FPS are largely unaffected.Was it worth it? I think so.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

On my computer the SSD resulted in a bit quicker loading times. That's it and that's all. I don't notice any difference while flying. Nothing at all.

Guest ziporama

SSDs will have much faster read times over the antiquated, dare I say, so passe' spin type storage device circa 2009 :) From what I read, SSDs makes quite the difference overall on the system, especially system boot time and when loading lots of data, so scenery and textures will load quite a bit better on an SSD drive. Think of the benefits of old ramdisks of way back when (except now if the power goes out, the data doesn't go poof). Keep in mind though that there are limits to bandwidth available depending on the interfaces you have. It appears the bottleneck is not so much the drive, it's the interface capacity. SSD manufacturers are working hard on boosting the interface speed as the devices are capable of sustained transfers that can max out current pipes. You should still realize significant difference overall in I/O over a regular hard disk.I have that on my definite buy list when prices get a bit more reasonable, as my Barracuda drive does quite nicely at the moment with its large cache and capacity.Cheers

Recently I had the chance to test a ssd drive for FSX.The loading times where quicker, but no difference in fps or fluidness.When looking at my disk led it lights up when loading FSX and then once every X seconds when flying.The 32mb cache drives are, imho, fast enough for FSX.Perhaps when faster boards will be released in the future it will make a difference.

I also luv my SSD. The biggest benefit for me is that after all these years I don't have to listen to a (analog) HD cranking away. I won't ever go back. jja

I said the SSD doesn't do much for FSX, apart from starting up quicker, but that doesn't mean I don't like it: I also will not ever buy a regular hard disk again. I got Windows 7 on my SSD and also (dual boot) on my 'old' SpinPoint. W7 on the SSD is QUICK, responsive, a joy to work with: whenever I start the old system up, I am surprised at how long it takes before I can enter my password en before the desktop appears. Okay, it's all about seconds, not minutes, but the SDD feels fresh and quick so... if my old HD has to be replaced, I will get a SSD instead! Even though they are smaller and cost more. My hard disk days are over.

I beauty of an SSD is never having to defrag FSX again and not suffer any FSX performance degradation due to file fragmentation. It used to take me up to 3/4 of an hour to do a full "Name" defrag on my FGX partition. I agree that there is no perceived performance gain over a Velociraptor but you won't get performance degradation due to fragmentation over time with an SSD.Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I'll add to the choir. I have seen no FSX performance improvement on replacing 2x150 GB Raptors with 1x 256 GB SSD. Only load times have reduced. However, one additional advantage worth highlighting is that power consumption and heat are way down, so that system fan noise is substantially reduced.Overall, is it worth upgrading? In a word: No.At least, not at current retail prices.Cheers,Noel.

Thanks for the replys, I agree, at current prices, Not a deal.

Only load times have reduced.
Since FSX constantly loads scenery throughout a flight, that's not a bad thing!I'm using two 80GB X-25 G2(s) in Raid 0 which provides extremely high sequential/random read speeds and almost zero latency. I don't really notice scenery loads anymore except in extreme cases (e.g., complex airport load) I'll get a blip, sort of like a microstutter, but not really as it happens only once. As a prior poster put it, very fluid.Is it worth it? Probably not on value terms at current prices (I upgraded from a pretty good hard drive arrangement though).

Since FSX constantly loads scenery throughout a flight, that's not a bad thing!
True, but on my computer having an SSD makes no difference during flights, so... somehow the loading of scenery etc. during a flight doesn't take advantage of hte SSD... I was hoping it would, but it didn't. To me personally this is some sort of proof that defragging doesn't help either (with regular HD's: SSD don't need defragging at all): I never had any benefit from defragging, which would make files more easily accesible for FSX. Well, an SSD makes files 100% accesible all the time, but still no real difference...

Thanks for the replys, I agree, at current prices, Not a deal.
I once upon a time paid $1k for a 5mb (megabyte) hard drive so by those standards SSD's are a steal. :( jja

True, but on my computer having an SSD makes no difference during flights
I agree, until you get a system that can run at 4ghz and above. That's when an SSD will shine in FSX. Micron has a SATA 3 SSD coming out that wil scream but FSX and the graphics system will need to be fast enough to process all that data coming in.jja