Sign in to follow this  
Shayne

ouit of memory error

Hi everyone, over the last year I have got an out of memeory error about 3 ti,es while using FS9. I use it alot so I thought it was strange. Any suggestions on tracking whta it may be?? I usually run active sky,Flight Environment or Real Environment and I can't seem to pin it doen to any one particular thng except maybe active sky. Strtange thing is I just replaced my old 7900 GT 128MB89 card with a new BFG 9800GT 1g card and its actually no improvment, it evne has lower power requirments then the older card, thats a whole nother story. Any help would be great and thanks in advance.Shayne :( :(

I suggest you search for similar topics (there have been MANY) about this and try those suggestions first.

Hi everyone, over the last year I have got an out of memeory error about 3 ti,es while using FS9. I use it alot so I thought it was strange. Any suggestions on tracking whta it may be?? I usually run active sky,Flight Environment or Real Environment and I can't seem to pin it doen to any one particular thng except maybe active sky. Strtange thing is I just replaced my old 7900 GT 128MB89 card with a new BFG 9800GT 1g card and its actually no improvment, it evne has lower power requirments then the older card, thats a whole nother story. Any help would be great and thanks in advance.Shayne :( :(
Hi ShayneI have had this problem in the past and I think it depends a bit on the amount of RAM you have - putting it simply I think the RAM gets gradually clogged up with residual files while fs9 is running and eventually you run out of memory. This can be a particular problem if perhaps you move between a lot of scenery areas (especially with some of the more resource-heavy addon photosceneries and I guess some of the sky and environment addons also involve using a lot of files). Your RAM is then only emptied by restarting your computer. I doubled my RAM from 2 to 4GB a little while ago and so far have not had an out of memory error whereas previously with 2GB of RAM, they would happen relatively frequently.Hope this helpsBill

Hi ShayneI have had this problem in the past and I think it depends a bit on the amount of RAM you have - putting it simply I think the RAM gets gradually clogged up with residual files while fs9 is running and eventually you run out of memory. This can be a particular problem if perhaps you move between a lot of scenery areas (especially with some of the more resource-heavy addon photosceneries and I guess some of the sky and environment addons also involve using a lot of files). Your RAM is then only emptied by restarting your computer. I doubled my RAM from 2 to 4GB a little while ago and so far have not had an out of memory error whereas previously with 2GB of RAM, they would happen relatively frequently.Hope this helpsBill
Bill,Please do not take this the wrong way but that is so far from correct it is NOT EVEN FUNNY!!! Where are you pulling that misinformation from or are you just making it up as you go along? Please do some research before going and posting. Even if you are trying to help giving the wrong information or advice is worse than giving none. I am sure you were trying to help and I appreciate that but you are just wrong, obviously do not understand what an OOM error is, what causes it or what the resolutions are yet you just come along and advise someone to buy more memory which will do nothing for them but cost them money... It is not responsible to just throw things out there with no knowledge of what you are saying, even if your intentions are good and you are trying to help.OOM error's have been discussed to death and it has NOTHING to do with RAM clogging up. Just search for OOM or Out of MemorySeriously, I am not trying to be mean or rude but to just type something when you have absolutely no idea what you are saying is going to do more damage than good.My goodness people, would you give someone advice on how to repair an engine if you have never looked under the hood? Maybe you just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;)...Sorry to be rude again but it really irks me when people just throw #### against the wall to see if it sticks. -P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

As stated already, "Out of Memory Error" has absolutely, positively nothing to do with physical memory.See:http://forums.flightsim.com/fswiki/index.php/OOM_Errororhttp://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=OOM_ErrorI maintain both Wiki entries... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest kingfisher-blue

Hi, This happened to me once before, I don`t know if this is of any help but you can give it a try. Hope it helps. John http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;892610Method 2: Rebuild the Windows paging file1. Log on to the computer by using a user account that has Administrator permissions. 2. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. 3. In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then click Properties. 4. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings. 5. In the Performance Options dialog box, under Virtual memory, click Change. 6. In the Drive list, select the drive that contains the paging file that you want to rebuild. 7. Under Paging file size for selected drive, type 0 (zero) for Initial size (MB) and for Maximum size (MB), and then click Set. 8. Restart your computer. 9. Repeat steps 1 through 6. 10. In the Virtual Memory dialog box, under Paging file size for selected drive, click System managed size, and then click Set. 11. If you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes. Back to the topAdditional informationIf you have sufficient hard disk drive space and rebuilding the Windows paging file does not resolve this issue, some of the Windows files on your computer may be damaged. For more help with this issue, contact the computer manufacturer (OEM) or contact Microsoft Windows Product Support Services.

Hi,This happened to me once before, I don`t know if this is of any help but you can give it a try. Hope it helps.Johnhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;892610Method 2: Rebuild the Windows paging file1. Log on to the computer by using a user account that has Administrator permissions. 2. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. 3. In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then click Properties. 4. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings. 5. In the Performance Options dialog box, under Virtual memory, click Change. 6. In the Drive list, select the drive that contains the paging file that you want to rebuild. 7. Under Paging file size for selected drive, type 0 (zero) for Initial size (MB) and for Maximum size (MB), and then click Set. 8. Restart your computer. 9. Repeat steps 1 through 6. 10. In the Virtual Memory dialog box, under Paging file size for selected drive, click System managed size, and then click Set. 11. If you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes. Back to the topAdditional informationIf you have sufficient hard disk drive space and rebuilding the Windows paging file does not resolve this issue, some of the Windows files on your computer may be damaged. For more help with this issue, contact the computer manufacturer (OEM) or contact Microsoft Windows Product Support Services.
Again, more #### thrown against the wall... :( Did you even bother to read the posts above yours? Especially Bill's? :( This is the best though
For more help with this issue, contact the computer manufacturer (OEM) or contact Microsoft Windows Product Support Services.
:( Yeah, good luck with that, please report back and let us all know how it works out B)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

This post by Phil Taylor (former FSX developer) explains how VIRTUAL RAM is used.http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspxAs stated by Psolk VIRTUAL RAM has NOTHING to do with your phsyical RAM or your SWAP FILE. NILLA!Their is a 4GB VIRTAUL RAM limit on 32bit OS. 2GB to the OS and 2GB to programs.The best addon for FS9 I got was a 64bit OS!

The best addon for FS9 I got was a 64bit OS!
Hear Hear!!! :(

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Hear Hear!!! :(
Pretty much the only reliable solution. Switched to x64 a year ago and haven't looked back. Unless there are serious compatibility issues that you may have with other software/hardware - x64 is the way to go.

@------>PSOLK,Enough already with your stupid childish remarks. Your the only negative person on this topic.Its people like you which keeps helpful hints to a silence. Please keep the negative remarks to yourself.I don't care who the hell you are and I don't care how many post you spat out. (probaly all nonsense).Stop with the #### please. We all are here for sugestion not to be handed down with your non mature remarks sir.

Again, more #### thrown against the wall... :( Did you even bother to read the posts above yours? Especially Bill's? :( This is the best though :( Yeah, good luck with that, please report back and let us all know how it works out B)
So Microsoft is throwing #### against the wall too?

I hate to say it but the advice in that MS data base is way off the mark.If you read Phil Taylors post (and the MS data base he points to) you will see that running out of VM has nothing to do with your swap file.It is a 32bit OS limitation.Would they admit to that? I don't know....I think psolk is just venting that if you do not know what your talking about then say nothing. Better to say nothing than to spread mis information.This topic has been beat to death and the bottom line is you need to do one of two things. Use the 3GB switch or get a 64bit OS.

I think psolk is just venting that if you do not know what your talking about then say nothing. Better to say nothing than to spread mis information
Right, quite understandable. But to be ridiculed by his gesture just for giving an opinion is not deserved for anyone.T. Headlam