Sign in to follow this  
Shayne

ouit of memory error

This topic has been beat to death and the bottom line is you need to do one of two things. Use the 3GB switch or get a 64bit OS.
Read the above quote peeps. These are the only two options that will result in a stable fix. Anything else will just be a stop-gap measure that will not work in the long run.When using the 3GB switch, please remember: USERVA = 4096-768 (reserved for the OS) - [gfx onboard memory]. So if you have a 1024Mb card, your USERVA value would be 4096 - 768 - 1024 = 2304 and so on. Setting this too high will cause excessive paging. Most of the time, FS9 needs only a tiny bit of virtual RAM more than is available, so don't worry about having a low USERVA with high-end cards.

@------>PSOLK,Enough already with your stupid childish remarks. Your the only negative person on this topic.Its people like you which keeps helpful hints to a silence. Please keep the negative remarks to yourself.I don't care who the hell you are and I don't care how many post you spat out. (probaly all nonsense).Stop with the #### please. We all are here for sugestion not to be handed down with your non mature remarks sir.
Thank you Tyrone - your reply goes a little way towards restoring my faith in humanity!And, of course, my apologies to Shayne, if, through being misinformed about this myself, I gave him misleading information, albeit sincerely.Bill

I must only say I understand Psolk completely and I get it why he reacted the way he did.This subject has been beaten to death on the forums and then again couple of times more to be sure it's really dead :( I myself have on many occasions preached about why and how it's happening. I have researched this thing into such detail I myself don't want to hear a thing about it any more...To summarize couple of facts:1) If memory build-up is occuring (application virtual size in Sysinternals' Process Explorer), there is scenery-wise very little you can do, and what you can do is very limited - don't even bother in another word.2) If 1) is happening, only more or less sure way to remedy the situation is 64bit OS, 4GB of RAM recommended, though 2GB will do just fine3) If you did get 64bit OS, don't forget to change fs9.exe to be able to use more than 2GB of virtual space (in that case it can use up to 4GB)FACTS:1) Virtual Size which fs9.exe occupies and the reason why OOMs are happening - nothing to do with your physical RAM - you could run 8GB of RAM and still be getting OOMs, same as with 1GB RAM2) Physical RAM helps with a general load of your system, if you have enough, you can disable pagefile, thus reducing diskwrites (I did it with 4GB and W7-x64, it's working beautifully)Personally I have seen VS of fs9.exe grow up to 3.1GB in worst case scenarios (many sceneries tested, especially those that OOMed in the 32bit OS without any mod) - this is why the /3GB mod in 32bit system is not a complete solution.Have fun.

I must only say I understand Psolk completely and I get it why he reacted the way he did.This subject has been beaten to death on the forums and then again couple of times more to be sure it's really dead :( I myself have on many occasions preached about why and how it's happening. I have researched this thing into such detail I myself don't want to hear a thing about it any more...To summarize couple of facts:1) If memory build-up is occuring (application virtual size in Sysinternals' Process Explorer), there is scenery-wise very little you can do, and what you can do is very limited - don't even bother in another word.2) If 1) is happening, only more or less sure way to remedy the situation is 64bit OS, 4GB of RAM recommended, though 2GB will do just fine3) If you did get 64bit OS, don't forget to change fs9.exe to be able to use more than 2GB of virtual space (in that case it can use up to 4GB)FACTS:1) Virtual Size which fs9.exe occupies and the reason why OOMs are happening - nothing to do with your physical RAM - you could run 8GB of RAM and still be getting OOMs, same as with 1GB RAM2) Physical RAM helps with a general load of your system, if you have enough, you can disable pagefile, thus reducing diskwrites (I did it with 4GB and W7-x64, it's working beautifully)Personally I have seen VS of fs9.exe grow up to 3.1GB in worst case scenarios (many sceneries tested, especially those that OOMed in the 32bit OS without any mod) - this is why the /3GB mod in 32bit system is not a complete solution.Have fun.
Thanks Word Not Allowed, Alstiff, Mackintosh, I am glad you guys know where I am coming from.Guys, I am sorry if you don't like it but I call it like I see it and when bluntness is deserved I use it... Post a topic that has been answered 100's of times repeatedly by experts and you deserve to be told to search. And if you think about it to start offering up computer advice when you don't know what you are saying (again, sorry to be blunt) is like someone else said worse than saying nothing at all. Back to my analogy would you try to help someone rebuild a transmission when the only experience you have is driving in a car? No, absolutely not! No matter how good your intentions! So why would someone who has no idea the solution to a problem or really an understanding of the problem itself even start offering advice on how to fix it? That is what causes endless issues that guys like me have been helping people fix for years, it causes people to go out and spend money for nothing and still be left with their original issue and it spreads misinformation like a virus. So excuse me for getting bent out of shape over it...I am sorry if I hurt your feelings or that you lost a little faith in humanity because of my posts (no matter how dramtic I find that) but I am not sorry for what I said... Like Word Not Allowed and Alstiff and Mackintosh and others, I fought this for years, researched it out the ying yang, going back to when it first emerged with the original LVL-D 767 YEARS ago; worked with developers to help identify the root cause (I am the reason for the last UTUSA patch after convincing them there was an issue) I have typed up summaries of this over and over as have others so forgive me if I get bent out of shape when someone can't take the time to search or someone offers absolutely bogus advice that can do more harm than good when some of us have spent dozens of dozens of hours, researching, typing up solutions and helping other simmers...Thanks for the support guys, those of us who have been here for years helping others through this time and time again no how frustrating it is to see the same question pop up a few times a month...PS. just search my name and go back for years if you doubt what I say or all the nonsense I have spat out. And btw, if you want to challenge me, YES MICROSOFT WAS THROWING #### against the wall too. In fact is was many of us who had to explain to MS after the release of FSX that they had released a 32 bit app that could not stay within the constraints of a 32 bit OS. Hence, SP1 which made FSX LARGEADDRESSAWARE... G-D, Microsoft just patched a bug this week that has been around for 25 years since 3.1!!!! So don't go throwing MS around as your reference....

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I would hate to see a fellow flight simmer follow that MS data base advice. Then invest 6 hours in a trans atlantic flight thinking they have solved their OOM error problem only to have that BOING! As they start their decent into the destination airport (yes we have all had it happen).

I hate to say it but the advice in that MS data base is way off the mark.If you read Phil Taylors post (and the MS data base he points to) you will see that running out of VM has nothing to do with your swap file.It is a 32bit OS limitation.Would they admit to that? I don't know....I think psolk is just venting that if you do not know what your talking about then say nothing. Better to say nothing than to spread mis information.This topic has been beat to death and the bottom line is you need to do one of two things. Use the 3GB switch or get a 64bit OS.
If you read Phil Taylor's blog you will find he says: "In the "Out of Memory" case, 2 things can be happening to cause this issue:1)the app is running out of contiguous blocks in the 2G process address space2)the app is running out of virtual address space period[/font]"http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspxThe MSDN advice deals with the first point which is caused by a corrupt or over-fragmented paging file

Well said PSolk, don't let the few get to you. Hope you keep doing what you're doing and helping us all out.

If you read Phil Taylor's blog you will find he says:<!--fonto:--><span style="font-family:"><!--/fonto--> "In the "Out of Memory" case, 2 things can be happening to cause this issue:1)the app is running out of contiguous blocks in the 2G process address space2)the app is running out of virtual address space period[/font]"http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspxThe MSDN advice deals with the first point which is caused by a corrupt or over-fragmented paging file
And I have yet to meet a fellow flight simmer who fixed his OOM error problems by fixing a corrupt over fragmented page file.As said MANY TIMES ALREADY it is a 32bit OS limitation.....nothing to do with swap files or ram.

And I have yet to meet a fellow flight simmer who fixed his OOM error problems by fixing a corrupt over fragmented page file.As said MANY TIMES ALREADY it is a 32bit OS limitation.....nothing to do with swap files or ram.
Exactly! Let's please not get into a debate that has already been settled and conclusively answered numerous times. Do you know how many times I rebuilt my pagefile over the years thanks to that stupid article!!! LOLThanks Red! Must be a Jersey thing, we see eye to eye ;) LOL... I am right across 195 a little north of KBLM on the shore...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Well said PSolk, don't let the few get to you. Hope you keep doing what you're doing and helping us all out.
Sir, No one question about his helpfulness its just about his reply to a certain replier. So lets square that up. We are not children here so why be skolded like one. Heck I'm thirty eight years old and been here for years, Transition from Microwings, and I'll be damned if someone put me down in a reply. That #### won't happened because i don't ask for it.One nearly lost his trust in humanity b/c of his reply. I guess we won't hear to much from him in fear of being put down with a reply from Mr. PSOLK.If little things in the flight sim world gets to you(PSOLK) then maybe you should relax a little more.Why not lead a person to certain links and not say a word. Let them do research on their own.Everyday someone for the first time enjoy what we are experiencing in the flightsim world.Many don't know the knowledge like some do because their new to the hobby.Others are willing to learn, why put em down. T. Headlam

Sir, No one question about his helpfulness its just about his reply to a certain replier. So lets square that up. We are not children here so why be skolded like one. Heck I'm thirty eight years old and been here for years, Transition from Microwings, and I'll be damned if someone put me down in a reply. That #### won't happened because i don't ask for it.One nearly lost his trust in humanity b/c of his reply. I guess we won't hear to much from him in fear of being put down with a reply from Mr. PSOLK.If little things in the flight sim world gets to you(PSOLK) then maybe you should relax a little more.Why not lead a person to certain links and not say a word. Let them do research on their own.Everyday someone for the first time enjoy what we are experiencing in the flightsim world.Many don't know the knowledge like some do because their new to the hobby.Others are willing to learn, why put em down. T. Headlam
Then let that certain replier PM me or alert a MOD!Who are you, the forum police and protection force now? Come on. I didn't hear anyone ask for your assistance which you have been so forthcoming with. I could care less how old you are, no one here needs a babysitter and if they have a problem with me they can PM me and speak to me about it privately and directly. If I offended anyone and they informed me of such in a PM I am sure I would apologize for hurting someone's feelings. Most who have been here for any amount of time know I am not a bad guy regardless of the picture you are trying to paint. You though.... Your ONLY REASON for trolling into this thread was to try and scold me and dissect the way I treat others and make me look like a bad guy. You had no other contribution, nothing to say, you came in just to defend other users and try to pick some sort of fight with me? We are all big boys here, no one needs your protection. If anyone has an issue with one of my posts they can inform a MOD, that is why THEY are here. No one needs you forum policing thank you very much. In fact there is a button that says report that anyone can click at anytime. And to be honest the mods are probably sick and tired of seeing these threads and people not using the search function they provided us as well...Now if someone lost their trust in humanity because of a forum post they should really seek some serious help as the real world is going to bring them to their knees... Trust me, others have said much worse to me in these forums and you take it like a man, let it roll off your shoulders and move on to the next post. As for anyone else who has an issue with me let them speak to me directly, no one needs you intervening and patrolling the forums protecting them from big bad meanies like me. If you are so worried about people getting help, then spend more time helping them and less time worrying about me. I personally hope this topic can closed now, the answer has been provided, links given and the user can find a plethora of useful information by searching....Cheers though, hope we can squash this and let bygones be bygones. I have no desire to get into a "forum fight" :( Especially not on Super Bowl Sunday LOL!!! :( -Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Cheers though, hope we can squash this and let bygones be bygones. I have no desire to get into a "forum fight" Especially not on Super Bowl Sunday LOL!!! Damn paul the nasty things I said before fully reading your post. Just mad my Broncos is not there.Its just the New Yorker in me. :(

Listen don't #### start nothin you can't #### end.I'm not looking for your #### helpWhat the ###### your looking for Thank you points.I am no #### police and if you bring it i will .XXg you This New Yorker will drive over the #### GWB and see you ####.Bring that Blunt #### to me, You #### Clown.I Know you and keep it further I will expose you. You most have to get .#ng. Won't lose ######ing track of you you #### clown.You the #### are you MOSES ####"My 2009 Aspen drinks your Jersey Gas, It drinks it up". Daniel Day.
wow...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Forgive!, Last time I felt this way, is During the big vigorous fight between FLY!2 and MSFS.Sorry. This is not normal conditions for me. Pardon.