Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FLEX1978

A ruined evening...

Ok it's not the end of the world but... I don't get to use FS much anymore, girlfriend was out tonight so had the rare chance to relax with a few beers and get a few hours in the MD11. What happened was the most chaotic sim experience I have had since I started simming.Flightplan was FAJS - HUEN on Vatsim. After spending a good hour in preflight I got my clearance to line up on 03L and advanced the thrust levers the same as hundred times before.After rotation I selected gear up and noticed all gear lights except the center gear were red, I cycled the gear a few times and then checked the Hydraulic page which was normal, looked outside and the gear was full down. So I'm thinking to myself I cant fly this thing for 4 hours to HUEN with the gear down, I ask ATC for a fix so I can hold and troubleshoot and he kindly vectors me to a VOR 15 miles from Johannesburg. Ten minutes later in the hold I decide that the gear is screwed I need to return to FAJS after dumping fuel, FMC says 11 minutes to dump to GW 490 but after 8 minuites I get a dump valve disagree and I cant get the GW any lower. By this time I have had enough so I request he vectors me back to the ILS03Despite pushing the gear horn warning Betty is screaming at me 'Landing gear, Landing gear all the way down, I elect for a full Autoland and on the rollout reverse thrust will not engage, Autopilot comes off but I still have 'Rollout' on the FMA and the machine is steering all over the place (autopilot is off) I somehow manage to get off the runway apologize to the Controller and Disconnect. So I check the failure menu and everything is normal, this aircraft is flawless 99.9% of the time so I dont know what happened?? Rant over I'm off out for a drink.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Don't drink and fly :(
haha! yep your right, but I wish it was the beer, didn't even have a chance to get into cruise and drink a few :(

I can't speak about the fuel dump system since I have very limited knowledge of it, but just curious if you were running FSPassengers during this whole event?Other than that, it sounds like you had a hiccup in windows or a memory dump. Possibly also a packet block issue with Vatsim? Not sure myself how that would work, meaning if you would even see what I mean, or if only info is sent to vatsim and not returned back.

I can't speak about the fuel dump system since I have very limited knowledge of it, but just curious if you were running FSPassengers during this whole event?Other than that, it sounds like you had a hiccup in windows or a memory dump. Possibly also a packet block issue with Vatsim? Not sure myself how that would work, meaning if you would even see what I mean, or if only info is sent to vatsim and not returned back.
Hi Dan,FSPassengers was running but I have always had failures switched off, guess I will have to put it down to one of those things..

Did you happen to see a little gremlin out on the wing?
Funny you should mention that Dan,,, While in passenger view the other night using DWF, I snapped this screenshot!tumblr_ktr94kibwj1qztxuuo1_500.jpg

Rob-I HAVE seen this before- and I'm having a tough time recalling what caused the problem- but it was something specific...I'm going to chat with the team and see if anyone else remembers...

I HAVE seen this before
You've seen that duck too? :( Phew, that's a relief, I thought I sniffed to much paint thinner as a child...(kidding of course ;-)

Thanks Robert, I should add the only thing that was out of the ordinary compared to all my other flights was I updated the Aircraft to the latest Nav database before loading the sim (it was about 4 months old). Don't see how that should make a difference but thought it was worth mentioning.Dan, love the pic! :(

Funny you should mention that Dan,,, While in passenger view the other night using DWF, I snapped this screenshot!tumblr_ktr94kibwj1qztxuuo1_500.jpg
ha ha ha.... :( / Leffe