Sign in to follow this  
toriu

Resizing HD partition

I have FSX on the C partition of the hard drive and am running out of space. I was planning to create another partition for FSX but I'm afraid it could be a problem with all the my add-ons. I'm trying to avoid a reinstall. I have just noticed in the free program (easeus.com) has the option to resize a partition. So my question is can I just resize the C partition and leave FSX on C.Thankyou for any advise

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

I have FSX on the C partition of the hard drive and am running out of space. I was planning to create another partition for FSX but I'm afraid it could be a problem with all the my add-ons. I'm trying to avoid a reinstall. I have just noticed in the free program (easeus.com) has the option to resize a partition. So my question is can I just resize the C partition and leave FSX on C.Thankyou for any advise
Hi,I think fsx will not run so well if your hd is full or almost full.NickN suggests installing fsx in its own drive. As far as free programs are concerned I think easeus has some limitations. Can't remember right.You could have a look at paragon partition manager free tho.here

Guest fuqiraq

I have acronis disk director and true image. I have moved, copied, changed the drive letters many times. you can add resize them as well. I have never had something not work. After moving things I run o&o and surprisingly it doesnt even become defragmented. Acronis in my opinion is a must have for fsx. Consider it another addon. I have a hard drive that is put away wich is bootable and it has a complete back up of clean os and fsx. When I have a problem or just want to clean things up (btw, fsx is on its own drive seperate from os and on the back up all is on 1 drive)I can take fsx and addons and put them on their own drive change the letter and all is fine. I shelled out around 100 usd for both programs. It takes about an hour to complete the process.

If you have a lot of scenery, you could move the scenery folders to another partition and update the scenery.cfg file to point to the new location.Another and possibly better option would be to install a separate drive for FSX only

Bert

I have acronis disk director and true image. I have moved, copied, changed the drive letters many times. you can add resize them as well. I have never had something not work. After moving things I run o&o and surprisingly it doesnt even become defragmented. Acronis in my opinion is a must have for fsx. Consider it another addon. I have a hard drive that is put away wich is bootable and it has a complete back up of clean os and fsx. When I have a problem or just want to clean things up (btw, fsx is on its own drive seperate from os and on the back up all is on 1 drive)I can take fsx and addons and put them on their own drive change the letter and all is fine. I shelled out around 100 usd for both programs. It takes about an hour to complete the process.
So I have actually have Disk Director, and True Image as well as O&O. Right now I have FS on the same RAID array and partition as my OS. I also have an SSD I picked up in my travels just sitting here and was trying to figure out how I could utilize it without having to re-install FS. Would this work?Back everything up Copy my entire FS directory to the new SSDChange the drive letter of my Windows OS Partition Change the drive letter of the SSD to my old windows partition so the registry entries all matchI have nothing else but windows and FS installed so no other Registry Entries would be affected in the process.Is that possible? I have been reluctant to try LOL.Thanks in advance,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest fuqiraq

I know nothing about raid ect.. the first thing I would suggest is clone everything. that way you can revert to that if you lose all. you have to remember to make the drive with the os primary. it makes no difference what letter you chose or im my case I dont assign a letter. when I plug in the b/u disk it automaticly assigns "C". give it a try if you clone it you have nothing to lose.

Copy my entire FS directory to the new SSDIs that possible? I have been reluctant to try LOL.Thanks in advance,-Paul
I would just try this one step first.Maybe rename the directory on C: just to make sure there are no duplicates. Then start the new copy and see if anything misbehaves.

Bert

I would just try this one step first.Maybe rename the directory on C: just to make sure there are no duplicates. Then start the new copy and see if anything misbehaves.
Appreciate the feedback guys!-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Thanks guys. One more question. Is it necessary to reformat C and D if I just re-size both.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Thanks guys. One more question. Is it necessary to reformat C and D if I just re-size both.
No need to format if you resize a partition, I have done this many times. Provided you haven't fallen for the trap of inatalling FSX on the System drive (C: Partition) you can image it and restore it to another partition or use partition copying software. After doing this just change you new drive letter to your original FSX partition letter. I did this when I acquired my SSD and moved my FSX partition over to it. The trap is installing FSX on the C: drive where you would necessarily have to move the system as well as FSX. Future proofing is is better assured with FSX in its own partition.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest fuqiraq

keep in mind you probably will have to select a drive to take free space from. so when you resize or partion, I leave a bit of unpartioned space