Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Graphics corruption in FSX - (UPDATE: possible solution found!)

*******, one thing you should be cautious of when advocating rebuilding the shader caches multiple times, is the more you do it, the more the files will become fragmented, which may eventually cause other performance issues or stutters! So it will become especially important to defrag your HD if one does this.Tom

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

*******, one thing you should be cautious of when advocating rebuilding the shader caches multiple times, is the more you do it, the more the files will become fragmented, which may eventually cause other performance issues or stutters! So it will become especially important to defrag your HD if one does this.Tom
Good point there. (or just get an SSD and render the problem moot :( )

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

im so filled with optimism, its unreal. thanks ******* [spirtual and forum dude :(] and ryan, for the extreme amounts of time in research put in..I think You guys seriously don't find time to sleep! :(

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Ryan, please put the essentials of this thread in the knowledge base when you get a chance. Much Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ryan,On my system the corrupted video image in FSX also is reflected in a corrupted 3D video image in my Nvidia Control Panel. When I get the corrupted image in FSX, I am able to Alt/Enter and get back to Explorer which appears to be operating correctly. When I open the Nvidia Control Panel in 3D Settings, the Preview image is distorted and shortly after that my system hangs and has to be rebooted with the power button. Bill Bridges

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

It wont, the event viewer shows you the event that took place, it doesn't tells you 'why' it ocurred. But, FYI.. what happened is a 'mechanism' present in Vista and Win7 to 'prevent' applications hanging. its called TDR, the TDR (timeout detection and recovery) detects that the driver is not responding and 'restarts it' thats what you saw in event viewer a 'restart'Why it happened? it depends... do you have a BufferPool setting? if so whats the value? I suspect you have it set to 0 or a very low value (default), otherwise there is no need to the card to be 'overloaded' thats why BP=0 (altough great for performance) is BAD for stability... so its not a tweak for everyone.
hi *******,i'm not using any BufferPool setting or any other setting/tweak in the FSX cfg. filei did change the Texture Bandwith Mult= setting from the default 40 to 80. that's it. nothing else
It wont, the event viewer shows you the event that took place, it doesn't tells you 'why' it ocurred. But, FYI.. what happened is a 'mechanism' present in Vista and Win7 to 'prevent' applications hanging. its called TDR, the TDR (timeout detection and recovery) detects that the driver is not responding and 'restarts it' thats what you saw in event viewer a 'restart'that's what 's puzzling me ... the Event Viewr doesen't event show the Event. No event at all But, FYI.. what happened is a 'mechanism' present in Vista and Win7 to 'prevent' applications hanging. its called TDR, the TDR (timeout detection and recovery) detects that the driver is not responding and 'restarts it' thats what you saw in event viewer a 'restart'the "restart" is not listed in the Event Viewer as well. as mentioned in my previous post Nothing shows up in the Event Viewer in reference to any of this. I have to restart the computer manually.perhaps i'm missing something here? so i'm assumming that you don't think there's a problem with my GTX 285?thanks again for your help.happy flyin, Tim Wheeler

Ryan, please put the essentials of this thread in the knowledge base when you get a chance. Much Thanks.
I want to make sure this stuff is really the legit solution for sure before I immortalize it in the KB hehe.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Tim This problem has nothing to do with the black/disappearing textures issue discussed here.In my case, it had to do with the temperature of the card. Try going into the nVidia control panel and changing the fan settings. Start by making the fan run at 100% all the time. Then see if you still get the problem. If not, then you know you've found the cause. The next step is to fine-tune the fan settings to reduce the noise levels. You need to use the funny graph in the nVidia control panel to make the fan speed increase at a fast enough pace to avoid the problem recurring but without being at 100% all the time. It calls for trial and error but I've found that making it run at 100% from 40% GPU use onwards seems to work well.Tim
hi Tim,thanks for the info. i did not know that you could control the fan speed inside the Nvidia control panel. i thought a 3rd party tool was required for that. i will experiment with the fan speed setting as you suggested. however, i do have the disappearing texture issues both inside the PMDG 744X cockpit and on the exterior of the A/C during night, dusk, and dawn flying. i've even seen All 4 engines missing before. also, missing terrain, & sky textures. my last night flt. attempt from KSFO-EGLL, All of the Terminals was missing at EGLL when i landed.happy flyin, Tim Wheeler

After reading all of this posts, I just wanna get sure: Are those tips (especially HIGHMEMFIX) also recommended for a XP32bit system (512MB vc)?

Cheers
Wolfgang

1hxz6d.png

After reading all of this posts, I just wanna get sure: Are those tips (especially HIGHMEMFIX) also recommended for a XP32bit system (512MB vc)?
This issue really shouldn't be possible on a 32 bit XP system. It'll OOM before it ever gets to this point. I don't think this can hurt though, 512MB video memory is still HIGHMEM from the perspective of the engine from what we can tell. My FSX box here hilariously recommends a 32MB video card.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Hello,I tried these tweaks but I am not sure I'm missing something cause the results are not so encouraging.What I did was this.Applied the fsx.cfg tweaksremoved nhancerset aa and af to application controlled in the nvidia panel,forced vertical sync off and so on (all that has been recommended).It looks like I have a smoother sim but I also got bad blurs and flashing, corrupted textures and longer stutters. I tested all this at kord (fsdreamteam kord) with the f-18 and when I take off I see a few spikes coming from any/every direction, less stutters but longer.So for example if , before these tweaks,I had a micro 1 sec pause every 10 secs now I get a 5 sec pause every 2 minutes or so.I'm probably doing something wrong but I am not sure what ? :-(Vic Nucera

hi Tim,thanks for the info. i did not know that you could control the fan speed inside the Nvidia control panel. i thought a 3rd party tool was required for that. i will experiment with the fan speed setting as you suggested. however, i do have the disappearing texture issues both inside the PMDG 744X cockpit and on the exterior of the A/C during night, dusk, and dawn flying. i've even seen All 4 engines missing before. also, missing terrain, & sky textures. my last night flt. attempt from KSFO-EGLL, All of the Terminals was missing at EGLL when i landed.happy flyin, Tim Wheeler
updated; Tim,i do not have a fan speed control setting option in the Nvidia control panel. do i need a certain driver version & up for this? i'm currently using version...8.16.11.9107 dated 9/27/09 (according to the driver version info. in Dev. Mgr)happy flyin, Tim Wheeler

I'm probably doing something wrong but I am not sure what ? :-(
Maybe you did this all in one go :(
Applied the fsx.cfg tweaksremoved nhancerset aa and af to application controlled in the nvidia panel,forced vertical sync off and so on (all that has been recommended).
Try changing one thing at a time, if it looks worse remove it and try something else

Guest 413X3

MindYerBeak, try removing the fsx.cfg file, move it to the desktop, and let the sim rebuild. Also did you have it rebuild the shader files?