Sign in to follow this  
jcalder

What do PMDG Pilots do in real life?

I live in Holland and I'm a 30 year old geography teacher and writer.And yes, I spend too much time in my virtual aircraft.

My parents live in Boscombe Down, my mother spent most of her working life at A&AEE as it was then know. I did a year's 'work experience' there and managed to wangle myself a trip in the Basset once. Also got taken for a spin by the AAC at Middle Wallop in a Gazelle as a 'thank you' for some work I did for them - that was fun :( Shame you missed out on an Optica trip, but then I can understand the windy bit ;-)
Small world Gavin, I also had a 'hedge-hop' flight in a Gazelle courtesy of AAC (bliddy scary) and I worked on the Merlins they had in the wind tunnel at Boscome Down - at least I believe it was for there lol.John Ellison

Hey all,Middle aged senior HVAC design engineer currently heading straight into the Wall. Living in Toronto, Canada with my wife and cat but born and raised in Stockholm, Sweden. I would love to have a less demanding job to have more time to do what I love namely fiddling around with my computers at home and fly. We work to live not the other way around...

Policeman, but frustrated airline pilot!
That makes two of us with the same job and same frustration, though I get to do a bit of flying on the road. I work highway Patrol, so I get to drive what you call the Vauxhall Monaro. In Australia, it comes in a four door version called a Holden Commodore SS. Six litre V8, gets up and goes very well!Martin Buzzell

Martin Buzzell

You want me to do what!!!

Email me

That makes two of us with the same job and same frustration, though I get to do a bit of flying on the road. I work highway Patrol, so I get to drive what you call the Vauxhall Monaro. In Australia, it comes in a four door version called a Holden Commodore SS. Six litre V8, gets up and goes very well!Martin Buzzell
I'm also from aus, I do have to admit that the nsw police have in my neck of the woods in the Sutherland shire fully marked in metallic green is an awesome looking car. Being on my red p's I've been lucky not to make any stuff-ups and still have my licence :)

I've been simming since FS98. I used to fly quite a lot on my sim until I became a CFI in Florida. Now, instead of saying "PROFILE" and "NAV", I spend my days saying "watch your heading" and "watch your altitude". I still enjoy the occasional flight on my sim when I get a chance though.Nice thread.Paul

Know the Holden Commodore. Was lucky enough to spend a day with the NSW Police a few years ago whilst on holiday there.Highway patrol sounds like a buzz. jI'm just a regular street Bobby :(

I've been simming since FS98. I used to fly quite a lot on my sim until I became a CFI in Florida. Now, instead of saying "PROFILE" and "NAV", I spend my days saying "watch your heading" and "watch your altitude". I still enjoy the occasional flight on my sim when I get a chance though.Nice thread.Paul
Hi Paul,Do you ever use FS for flight training purposes? When I did my private my CFI wouldn't let me touch it, but for my IFR rating my CFII pt it to good use many times (and I agree it is more suited to IFR than VFR flight).Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Paul,Do you ever use FS for flight training purposes? When I did my private my CFI wouldn't let me touch it, but for my IFR rating my CFII pt it to good use many times (and I agree it is more suited to IFR than VFR flight).Thanks, Bruce.
Seems the faa has an opinion-I just got this notice:http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=31511

36 years old just outside of NYC on the NJ shore here... 16 year IT Security Expert now specializing specifically in Wireless Security (Licensed and Unlicensed bands)... If any of you Law Enforcement Officers are using Motorola Radios or Patrol Vehicle Mounted gear it is all my stuff :) Started simming with the commodore 64 when somehow those intersecting green lines felt as immersive as our PMDG birds today... Amazing what the imagination can do LOL!!! Been spending less time in front of the computer now that the weather is getting nice and a ton of time here with my other hobby now I can not golf anymore... (Make sure your speakers are up )
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />Great thread, very interesting to read the varying ages, backgrounds and professions involved in this hobby!Cheers everyone...Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

For a private pilot, I’d say that under supervision, flightsim can be useful. For example, if a student has trouble remembering certain procedures (like setting up for slow flight, stalls etc.) then FS can be useful.It can also be helpful when doing a multi-engine rating, as most single pilots are a little overwhelmed the first time they have an engine failure. Of course, you’d need to make sure you’ve got the right addon. No sense practicing your engine failures on the FS Baron when you’re doing your multi in a Seneca.Of course, for instrument training, the sim is solid gold. But again, you have to be careful, because some bad habits can be acquired.Paul

For a private pilot, I

Seems the faa has an opinion-I just got this notice:http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=31511
Thanks Geof, I would love to attend one of those, it's about time that someone started taking notice of the attributes that a PC sim can provide.I onder if this info is available publicly, it would make great reading.Thanks, Bruce.

36 years old just outside of NYC on the NJ shore here... 16 year IT Security Expert now specializing specifically in Wireless Security (Licensed and Unlicensed bands)... If any of you Law Enforcement Officers are using Motorola Radios or Patrol Vehicle Mounted gear it is all my stuff :) Started simming with the commodore 64 when somehow those intersecting green lines felt as immersive as our PMDG birds today... Amazing what the imagination can do LOL!!! Been spending less time in front of the computer now that the weather is getting nice and a ton of time here with my other hobby now I can not golf anymore... (Make sure your speakers are up )
Great thread, very interesting to read the varying ages, backgrounds and professions involved in this hobby!Cheers everyone...Paul
We just switched over to Vertex Standard about 2 years ago:( God I miss those Motorola radios, the old MX350 series worked better than a nightstick! We ended our Motorola series with the Sabres.

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg