Sign in to follow this  
dolin

Your worst experiences with a PMDG aircraft

Guest bratonabike
A new bad experience would be when, on my flight from JNB to FRA, during the last portions of the flight, over terrible weather, both elevators were pinned down and I have no idea if it was something natural of the plane, an error of mine or a bug. I even posted a thread about it and the lack of answer dissapoints me.
yea i remember commenting on that, i dont think even pmdg knows the answer

I had set up a long haul from KLAX-YSSY and I was super excited to bring the Queen in to land and was on short final and the power went out. Yeah...
A while ago I did a YSSY-KLAX in a lightly loaded MD-11 (no time acceleration), if power went out on me.... Oh my I would have been upset. I do save periodotically though for that reason.

Guest bratonabike
A while ago I did a YSSY-KLAX in a lightly loaded MD-11 (no time acceleration), if power went out on me.... Oh my I would have been upset. I do save periodotically though for that reason.
if u did save with the PMDG 747, then wouldnt the FMC be wiped when u went back in?

Guest bratonabike

i also landed on the wrong runway once coming in to KLAX with the queen, and #1 smashed through a poor default CRJ-700 turning off the runway. that was when i remebered that i didnt have reverse thrust engaged :(

if u did save with the PMDG 747, then wouldnt the FMC be wiped when u went back in?
I'm not sure as I don't have the PMDG 744, I assume it would as it does save the FMC state in the MD-11 (using FSX's save funbction, not PMDG panel save). Although sometimes I do get some odd configuration issues loading a save.

I'm not sure as I don't have the PMDG 744, I assume it would as it does save the FMC state in the MD-11 (using FSX's save funbction, not PMDG panel save)
As long as you know what your FP is and have some idea of where you are on your route, it is usually no issue to reprogram the FMC in flight. However, I don't have the MD-11, so I can't comment on that.
Although sometimes I do get some odd configuration issues loading a save.
I have had long flights in the Level-D CTD, and usually on reloading I get a "Cabin Alt" warning. The pax get to breath through the masks while the cabin descends back to 10k.

Joe Sherrill

I have had long flights in the Level-D CTD, and usually on reloading I get a "Cabin Alt" warning. The pax get to breath through the masks while the cabin descends back to 10k.
Yeah thats a common one in the MD-11 also after reloading.

Just happened. I've been flying ZGGG-VIDP for FedEx. I turned off FS sound (it's annoying on long routes) and the monitor. I had some cleaning to do at my place, so I left my desk. After a while I routinely took a break in dusting to check everything's fine with the MD. Well, it wasn't. It was quite a shock to see my acft on the ground somewhere in east China. I quickly disconnected from VS and here I am.

I once pushed back in the J41 using reverse... It works fine normally only this time I'd left the park brake set :(

Was enroute with the Jetstream on a IVAO division tour, when my wife came in to tell me something. I turned around and must have touched the condition levers with a chair in that way, that they went into taxi (still I don't understand how my chair could affect them this way..). I called a mayday and brought it down gliding on a nearby airfield.First time power back in the Jetstream: Ooohh.. wow thats fast, brake.. ahh.. maybe don't brake so hard :( One or two times (when I started with the Jetstream) I forgot to put out the startlocks and had to taxi off the runway again.. at this airport I had to taxi all down the runway to reach the next taxiway. :biggrin:Ah, and a classic, non PMDG-related: Aircraft all setup, flight planned, papers studied, winds checked, NOTAMS and METARS checked, fuel calculated, speeds confirmed.. ok.. lets start.. and then hit the wrong button: Slew mode. Aircraft goes into the Pampa, and me downstairs for a safety cigarette (safety for my PC-screen ^^)

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

Did tutorial flight in J41 - all the way to Washington, without any problem, landed, taxi to gates, stopped, then failed on Start Locks, moving throttle a bit to much into reverse, causing plane crash. Yep, the plane actually turned over in place.Another time, I burned the J41's engine, when I forgot to move throttle into idle, before pressing LEFT ENGINE->START. TORQUE indicator went crazy, EGT up, and smoke all over. Had to use mentos to cool it down, but reset it was anyway.That reminds me of one feature, that would be great for all PMDG planes. A hangar application. Aircraft could have persistent state, and every failure, wearing of components, random problems would have to be fixed in hangar before flight. In case of engine fire, I could go into maintenance mode, repair engine, pay the bill and go, instead of reload.A2A Accu Sim delivers this kind of persistence already, and nothing stops PMDG from doing that as well.

A2A Accu Sim delivers this kind of persistence already, and nothing stops PMDG from doing that as well.
Ditto. I have the A2A J-3 with Accusim and it is amazing. If the hints have been correct over the past few months, I think the NGX will include something similar.

Joe Sherrill

It would be great. I own the Cub, the B-17 and the Stratocruiser with Accusim, and it really is enhancing your flight habits. Especially the B377 demands precise engine management, from turbo settings over intercooler operation to cowlflaps. Flying with improper parameters affects the engine's health and lifetime, but also random failures may (not must) occur. Over a few flights I recognized engine 3 was always getting a bit hotter than the others (every engine is different with Accusim, but this deviation was obvious..), and after some flights it lost oil pressure und had to be shut down. It great to even "feel" that something may go wrong, it's much better than just "oops, engine out". In the B-17 they pushed it even farther: Not only a single engine is modelled, even wear of things like oil filters, generators, batteries, tires, landing gear etc is modeled (not only "batteries" for example, no, every single battery of the 3 has its own "simulation"..).On the Cub, good as it is in its flight model (best modeled GA plane overall, I'd say), you don't see it that much as there are not that much "Systems". Watch the A2A B17 vids on youtube to know what I mean.I really hope that PMDG will also add something similar to future aircraft, as it's really getting the aircraft more to "life". And you care much better about your flying, instead of firewalling the throttles everytime.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

landed in KATL on 26L with the Low Decel Rate option on the MD11, landed with autobrake Min, engaged reverse thrust only to find #1 still operating at ~40% fwd thrust. Used up all the runway plus some ILS antennas.
Been there,done that,my friend :)

Thinking back, i believe that the worst thing that i have done was landing in Denver, after a Zurich — New York — Denver flight. I never used the auto land on the 747-400 before, so i decided to try it out.All went well, except during the flare when the Autothrottle system brought the trust levers to IDLE, and then disconnected the SPD mode, Guess who forgot the retard the physical thrust levers? ME!So as it touched down, the power increased to 70% N1. It took me half the runway to figure it out. By then i ended up disconnecting autopilot, going around, and trying again. Unfortunately i had to land manually, because for some reason after the go around the FMC REFUSED to accept the ILS approach :( . With all hopes crushed i've never tried an autoland since, I will try one though, since it's almost winter, and that means HORRIBLE visibility in Zurich, i can't wait :). *sounds like something that would happen to an Airbus pilot after leaving the thrust levers in Climb detent, huh?