Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Griffin

Frustrating.. very frustrating

So, being into FSX for pretty much.. ever now keep in mind I'm not here to start a FSX vs FS9 thread, I'm just simply explaining my frustration in hopes of someone relating to them, like I was saying I've been in FSX for probably about 3 years now, i've never really considered FS9 being more satisfying until very recently when I explored it a lot more, the Ariane, all the addon scenery for pretty much every airport I fly from and to, so much more than FSX. I have a fairly tough system, from 2008: Core i7 920 @ 3.8, asus p6t 12gig ddr3, 4870x2.. some of you might know ronaldcgriffin on youtube, which happens to be me, maybe not so much if you're not into FSX but the big question for me was why leave FSX for a much older, sim.. when I explored it, it was simple.. high fps where ever I went, REX, UTX, FSDT, PMDG everything.. never any trouble except for a few details which is why I'm really ranting atm. I just flew from EGLL-KJFK, or so I had hoped... all of the time when I try to do these flights, VHHH - KLAX, EGLL - KLAX in the PMDG 747 either as soon as I line up on the runway, or in this case as soon as I was approaching KJFK and bam I get an OOM warning, which obviously i'm not actually running out of memeory... it just makes me want to go back to FSX instantly, also the fact that the ressing of textures sucks in FS9, especially when using REX. below me is dark blue, 40 mi out is green.. it just sort of kills it. Any input would be great.

So, being into FSX for pretty much.. ever now keep in mind I'm not here to start a FSX vs FS9 thread, I'm just simply explaining my frustration in hopes of someone relating to them, like I was saying I've been in FSX for probably about 3 years now, i've never really considered FS9 being more satisfying until very recently when I explored it a lot more, the Ariane, all the addon scenery for pretty much every airport I fly from and to, so much more than FSX. I have a fairly tough system, from 2008: Core i7 920 @ 3.8, asus p6t 12gig ddr3, 4870x2.. some of you might know ronaldcgriffin on youtube, which happens to be me, maybe not so much if you're not into FSX but the big question for me was why leave FSX for a much older, sim.. when I explored it, it was simple.. high fps where ever I went, REX, UTX, FSDT, PMDG everything.. never any trouble except for a few details which is why I'm really ranting atm. I just flew from EGLL-KJFK, or so I had hoped... all of the time when I try to do these flights, VHHH - KLAX, EGLL - KLAX in the PMDG 747 either as soon as I line up on the runway, or in this case as soon as I was approaching KJFK and bam I get an OOM warning, which obviously i'm not actually running out of memeory... it just makes me want to go back to FSX instantly, also the fact that the ressing of textures sucks in FS9, especially when using REX. below me is dark blue, 40 mi out is green.. it just sort of kills it. Any input would be great.
So if I'm understanding this correctly your using FS9 now and having issues with it? :( If that's the case I assume your running FS9 under Windows7 which needs to be addressed first. People here know how to get FS9 to run under Vista/7 but I'm not one of them. FS9 was designed to run under Windows XP. If your W7 is 64bit versus 32bit that can cause other issues.Once all this is sorted out you need to setup FS9 correctly as follows:1. FS9 - SP12. Flight1's Ground Environment fully patched3. Activesky4. REX for FS95. Zinertech's water6. Bloom 1.0.0.1 2009 version (we've posted proper setup configs to help people out)Now add in all the scenery/aircraft you would like and go from there. Speaking of OOM's in certain areas of FS9 this is just a reality. It's different for everybody but very isolated. My problem areas for this unless I'm using 'lite' add-ons is the NYC area, flying out of KRSW, and at times KATL. No issue with this anywhere else in the FS9 world...Like I said you have to nail down your general setup first and then dive into everything else FS9 related. Once you get it to work FS9 can be pretty fun with little to no issues.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

So if I'm understanding this correctly your using FS9 now and having issues with it? :( If that's the case I assume your running FS9 under Windows7 which needs to be addressed first. People here know how to get FS9 to run under Vista/7 but I'm not one of them. FS9 was designed to run under Windows XP. If your W7 is 64bit versus 32bit that can cause other issues.Once all this is sorted out you need to setup FS9 correctly as follows:1. FS9 - SP12. Flight1's Ground Environment fully patched3. Activesky4. REX for FS95. Zinertech's water6. Bloom 1.0.0.1 2009 version (we've posted proper setup configs to help people out)Now add in all the scenery/aircraft you would like and go from there. Speaking of OOM's in certain areas of FS9 this is just a reality. It's different for everybody but very isolated. My problem areas for this unless I'm using 'lite' add-ons is the NYC area, flying out of KRSW, and at times KATL. No issue with this anywhere else in the FS9 world...Like I said you have to nail down your general setup first and then dive into everything else FS9 related. Once you get it to work FS9 can be pretty fun with little to no issues.
I appreciate your reply -- I am indeed under windows 7, 64 bit. Hopefully one of those people will bump into this thread.. Cry.gif I have most of the stuff on your list, not including Zinertech's water and AS... Bloom is another thing, if I put in ENB FS9 will just stop working on start up, which is also quite annoying. My understanding is that Active sky will overlap REX, and vice versa and zinertech will be overlapped by REX. I'm assuming I'd install it in the order you have listed? I basically get an OOM whenever I'm in the PMDG or any other heavy aircraft at a heavy airport.. and as you can imagine it's very frustrating after a 6 hour flight.

I appreciate your reply -- I am indeed under windows 7, 64 bit. Hopefully one of those people will bump into this thread.. Cry.gif I have most of the stuff on your list, not including Zinertech's water and AS... Bloom is another thing, if I put in ENB FS9 will just stop working on start up, which is also quite annoying. My understanding is that Active sky will overlap REX, and vice versa and zinertech will be overlapped by REX. I'm assuming I'd install it in the order you have listed? I basically get an OOM whenever I'm in the PMDG or any other heavy aircraft at a heavy airport.. and as you can imagine it's very frustrating after a 6 hour flight.
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/293216-dreaded-out-of-memory-error-in-fs9/page__view__findpost__p__1812190Read what I wrote in post 10... Others can help you on the W7 specific issues but this will resolve your OOM errors.-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__1812190Read what I wrote in post 10... Others can help you on the W7 specific issues but this will resolve your OOM errors.-Paul
Hi, am a bit confused.. from what I read it says that if I have a 64bit OS i'm fine and I don't need to edit anything??? Can you please elaborate thanks!

Hi, am a bit confused.. from what I read it says that if I have a 64bit OS i'm fine and I don't need to edit anything??? Can you please elaborate thanks!
Read Closer:
So you have 3 possible steps to fix the OOM error once and for all.1. Modify your FS9.exe to be largeaddressaware (FSX did this automatically after SP1)2. Modify your 32 Bit OS's Boot.INI file to set the /3gb aware flag3. Install a 64 Bit OS (The best move you will ever make as a simmer)Regardless of going with 2 or 3 you will need to do number one...For more information:http://www.fsdevelop...title=OOM_Error
So know matter what even with a 64 bit OS you need to follow that first step and make FS9 LargeAddressAware the same thing MS did to FSX with SP1...Follow the instructions in that post on how to do it but read everything VERY CAREFULLY once over and then go back and actually do it as you seemed to have glanced over the first key point already ;)-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Read Closer:So know matter what even with a 64 bit OS you need to follow that first step and make FS9 LargeAddressAware the same thing MS did to FSX with SP1...Follow the instructions in that post on how to do it but read everything VERY CAREFULLY once over and then go back and actually do it as you seemed to have glanced over the first key point already ;)-P
So making sure I got it now, I just need to do STEP 2 as I'm on a 64bit OS?

Yes thats all there is to it , just mark the FS9.exe as large address aware

Guest belga1

Hello,

LOL ....
So know matter what even with a 64 bit OS you need to follow that first step and make FS9 LargeAddressAware the same thing MS did to FSX with SP1...
Methink it's step 11. Modify your FS9.exe to be largeaddressaware (FSX did this automatically after SP1)Regards.bye.gifGus.

Hello,LOL .... Methink it's step 11. Modify your FS9.exe to be largeaddressaware (FSX did this automatically after SP1)Regards.bye.gifGus.
Thanks Gus, I didn't think I could have made it much clearer LOL!!! :(

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

For what it's worth, I am using Win7 64 bit and I have never had to alter the Boot.ini file.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

For what it's worth, I am still running with only 2Gb of memory (after my last hiatus with two new 2GB RAM sticks) and Win XP SP3. It's not Win 7, I know, but I think these OOM's have a common cause. Bad texture, a rogue LC .bgl in the wrong folder.... I can fly the PMDG 747 in and out FSDT KJFK (have KLGA and KEWR too), EGLL and such without any OOMs. A few days ago I checked the pagefile after landing at Fly Tampa's wonderful Kai Tak - it was 1.41Gb! And my sim was still running quite happily. I think that FS9 will not go OOM unless something is wrong. I think. I cannot be sure but as I said, I have always been able to cure my OOM's. Lately, I've been suspecting the cloud texture files... After a long OOM-less period I have lately had three OOM's in five flights! After I have opened all cloud files in Imagetool and saved them - no more OOM! Maybe coincidence, maybe not, but I've learned to save cloud textures each time after I change them (using REX). I am NOT accusing REX at all - these are just my observations and experience. The real reason could be elsewhere, these things are very difficult to hunt down. One way to do it is:1. find a situation where OOM occurs regularly2. remove all add-on scenery entries from scenery.cfg and then add them one by one, checking if OOM situation still occurs. Pay attention to LC files (name often starts start with LC...)3. do the same with add-on aircraft - especially AI - could be a bad texture somewhere4. Check for duplicate AFCAD's5. check other add-on .bgl's (scenery/base/scenery; scenery/world/scenery;...)6. Don't use Ultimate terrain which is known to be very memory hungryOne more thing: I have moved all add-on aircraft .dll's from the Modules folder to a backup locationthen created a .bat file for each of these aircraft which copies the right .dll back to the Modules folder and then starts FS9. No need to have all those .dll's in memory....My two cents...Regards,Jure

Thanks Gus, I didn't think I could have made it much clearer LOL!!! :(
What I meant was is it's step 2 in the second guide. Not the boot.ini which is STEP 1

In the 5 years of using FS9 (installed on 6 different PCs/Laptops), I've never had a single OOM or crash. I even left FS9 running accidentally for several days while I was on vacation (the plane just sat at the tarmac); and when I returned it, everything was still up and running (must have been cool to see the day/night cycle). I also have a lot of planes/sceneries/etc. installed. I'm currently running FS9 on Win7 64 Ultimate, and haven't had any issues (and i've never modified any core system files, set priority to fs9, etc.)FS9 is actually a very stable platform. I think the root of these crashes comes from the operating system itself. First try cleaning up your boot processes. Then shut off any 3rd party programs. If you have virus and firewall programs, set them to skip the FS9 folders. Also check your swap file settings. If you have two drives, set the swap to a drive that doesn't have FS9 installed or Windows installed (i have my swap on a super small; 30gig HD, but 15,000RPM spinning harddrive). And don't let the system manage your swap. Set it yourself and make it a few gigs bigger than the suggested size. I have my swap set at 15 gigs. If you keep your system super clean, programs tend to run very smoothly as well.-feng