Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

iFLY vs. PMDG?

There was only one single reason that I never purchased the PMDG 737 and that was the models inability to save a flight. When PMDG released their 747-400 with the ability to return to a flight I purchased it. To me, a simulator is for both enjoyment and to learn. The ability to restart a flight without having to start from zero is a valuable tool in learning the in's and out's of an aircraft.The PMDG 747, Level-D's 767 and even the Wilco 737 all allowed you to learn from your mistakes. Also, what I like about all of those models are that they are a Boeing's. Once you learned one Boeing you have a great start on the next one.Tom

It's true, I think the FS9 PMDG 737 had a good run considering how old it is. After reading the docs for the IFLY 737 I'm really impressed with what they have achieved. I don't really understand why IFLY are bothering with a FSX version, it's safe to say PMDG are going to push the boundries with the FSX version, I don't think it's even worth competing at this stage for such a young company (I don't doubt IFLYS ability to do a good job) Unless they plan on creating a poor mans FSX 737 and majorly undercut PMDG it's not gonna work out for them.Wouldn't there efforts be better placed in creating a FS9 777? I'm sure it would be one of the most popular FS aircraft out there
I disagree. While a 777 may be very popular, it fills a much smaller niche. The 777 is used mostly for long-haul flights. The NG series covers short-medium-long range flying. Therefore it would, by nature, appeal to a greater audience. While the 777 is an interesting aircraft, I really have no use for one as I do not do that much long-range flying. The 737NG series spans a much greater range of opportunities for sim pilots and therefore grabs my interest a little more. If iFly releases the FSX version and it is priced competitively, it could give PMDG a run for it's money. iFly has already proven they can produce a quality 737, and that is their first payware release. In addition, they are supposedly offering the FSX version for about $15 to purchasers of the FS9 version. This alone could grab a huge audience, since it appears quite a few folks use both FS9 as well as FSX. Many users go for value unless the other party offers something more to warrant the added cost. Pure FSX users will probably go PMDG, while users of both sims would greatly consider the iFly offering. There is nothing saying that PMDG won't offer the same package for FSX at the same cost as the FS9 version. If that happens, will PMDG be offering their NGX for $55? Lets say many folks skipped the FS9 version of the iFLy 737NG, and the FSX version comes out and ends up being less or quite a bit less than the PMDG aircraft. Which will people buy?It really is quite brilliant how iFly have structured their development. PMDG cancels FS9 development. iFly releases FS9 737NG. PMDG continues work on the NGX. iFly announces a huge discount for the FSX version to FS9 users. Again, it is all speculation at this point so it's a moot point until we can all see the aircraft from both parties. All I know is if the $15 upgrade price for the iFly FSX version rings true, than I just got the entire NG series for FS9 AND FSX for $70. Let us also not forget time-to-market, that could also potentially be a huge factor.I the end, competition is good, so I am excited either way.Havig said all that, I will probably still get the PMDG NGX as well since I am silly for FS add-ons and they do awesome work. :(

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I am really enjoying iFly's new 737 in FS9. I usually use FSX, but this iFly aircraft has got me back using FS9 a lot.I feel they did an excellent job putting this 737 together and I'm sure their FSX version will be outstanding.I will certainly be enjoying it as soon as it is released. Especially since it will only cost $14USD for those who have purchased the FS9 version. I'm sure, like most, I will also get the NGX when it is released, but I have a feeling I will enjoy flying both of them and find they both have their unique high points.Already tons of free liveries are being offered on Avsim's library for the iFly 737.

iFly is a very small 3 man organization that has released 1 addon before the 737.
Don't mistake the guys running the forum as the whole team. :( Out of the three Jiangwei I believe is the only representative from the real team on the forums from China. Behind him there is an actual team pulling strings based in China. I don't know the exact size but there is a team of people that are pretty serious about what they do. There's also a couple of airline pilots on board I believe...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I disagree. While a 777 may be very popular, it fills a much smaller niche. The 777 is used mostly for long-haul flights. The NG series covers short-medium-long range flying. Therefore it would, by nature, appeal to a greater audience. While the 777 is an interesting aircraft, I really have no use for one as I do not do that much long-range flying. The 737NG series spans a much greater range of opportunities for sim pilots and therefore grabs my interest a little more. Again, it is all speculation at this point so it's a moot point until we can all see the aircraft from both parties. All I know is if the $15 upgrade price for the iFly FSX version rings true, than I just got the entire NG series for FS9 AND FSX for $70. Let us also not forget time-to-market, that could also potentially be a huge factor.
Two things here: 1. I said the same thing about PMDG's MD11 being long haul and not much use to me. It wasn't until snapping out of a lapse of thinking that I realized the MD11 is mostly a cargo bird these days. FEDEX will fly these bird or routes as short as KMSP to KMDW (in Europe Paris to London). I bought this add-on and use it for everything under the FEDEX banner. Same goes for the 777. The cargo version flies for FEDEX as well as other cargo airlines. If a 777 package was released with a cargo variant the long haul argument is rendered moot. 2. The big elephant in the room is a question I'd ask of any FSX user concerning the iFly model. Would you at this point purchase an none native (FS9 port over) add-on like this 737 that could have performance issues versus a native FSX model with almost no hit whatsoever? Leonardo's Maddog is outstanding in FS9 but the word on the FSX side is it runs like a bear in that environment.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Don't mistake the guys running the forum as the whole team. :( Out of the three Jiangwei I believe is the only representative from the real team on the forums from China. Behind him there is an actual team pulling strings based in China. I don't know the exact size but there is a team of people that are pretty serious about what they do. There's also a couple of airline pilots on board I believe...
Steve M, Steve H, Jon G, you, me, and the rest of the support team are not part of the iFly development team. From the "about us" section on the iFly webpage: "The iFly developer team currently has three members. As an individual, we got to know each other in a virtual aviation community. With the same interests in flight simulation, we were all very active on the simulation forum and shared every little thing about aviation, and finally we became very close friends. Therefore, this team was established under great friendship. " I am sure that they had help with research and whatnot because they have a special thanks section that has 4 other people listed in it...anyways, not trying to start an argument.

Now that is funny post... Big%20Grin.gif... Basing iFly's quality on screenshots...... Assuming that PMDG's NGX look increasingly unlikely to be released... That's REALLY funny. :(
What's so funny, in either case? The second case in particular. PMDG's 737 titles have been out,what?, six years at least? FSX has been out about 4 years, right? Given that FSX has been out as long as it has you'd think that if PMDG was going to release a FSX version,they'd done it by now (I think they stated their intention to do so some time ago but have yet to make good on that promise). I think the recent announcement of the pending release of Microsoft Flight makes it even more unlikely that we'll see a FSX version of PMDG's 737NG...there's nothing at all funny about that.Yes, basing iFly's quality on screenshots is valid as well since the quality of the screen shots gives one at least a basic indication of the quality they can expect the overall product to be. Nothing "funny" about that either...

There's plenty of repaints available for the iFly, with more being completed everyday. Also, iFly is going to release a FSX version, they just decided to release the fs9 version First...BTW, if you buy the FS9 version, you will get the FSX version for $14.95. I too am intrigued as to where you are getting your info about the NGX...
From the simple fact that there's been no word from PMDG about when the "NGX" is going to be released that I've heard of since they announced it years ago....

Two things here: 1. I said the same thing about PMDG's MD11 being long haul and not much use to me. It wasn't until snapping out of a lapse of thinking that I realized the MD11 is mostly a cargo bird these days. FEDEX will fly these bird or routes as short as KMSP to KMDW (in Europe Paris to London). I bought this add-on and use it for everything under the FEDEX banner. Same goes for the 777. The cargo version flies for FEDEX as well as other cargo airlines. If a 777 package was released with a cargo variant the long haul argument is rendered moot. 2. The big elephant in the room is a question I'd ask of any FSX user concerning the iFly model. Would you at this point purchase an none native (FS9 port over) add-on like this 737 that could have performance issues versus a native FSX model with almost no hit whatsoever? Leonardo's Maddog is outstanding in FS9 but the word on the FSX side is it runs like a bear in that environment.
That basically reaffirms what I said with regards to the 777. A cargo version has to be released for it to be viable outside of long-range people-transport, and even then, you would now have a long range-cargo transport. I don't see people flying a 777 from KSAN to KLAX or KLAX to KSFO. COuld it be done? Of course, but it is also seems a little silly. lolWith regards to a non-native 737 model, if I am reading what you stated correctly, there is no reason to believe that the iFly 737 FSX version will be non-native. If it ends up being a native model, which I would wager to be the case, than nobody has to worry about any port-over performance issues. Thye Maddog has enough of a cult-like following to not really need a "true" FSX model, but if it did, it too would make a killing. I actually don't have many issues in FSX with the Maddog 2008 Pro. Performance is not "fantastic", but it isn't too shabby either. Same goes for the Qualitywings 757 in FSX. Native versions for FSX of both aircraft would be icing on the cake, IMO.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Either you know something we don't, or you are a little misinformed. I'm genuinely interested to see why you think that's the case. Or are you just joking?
Well, for one thing, just how long has it been since PMDG promised a FSX version?! Has anyone seen it for sale anywhere or even seen a screen shot of it over two years since FSX was released? Secondly, Wilco, on the other hand, was quick to come out with a FSX version of it's 737PIC title.I wasn't aware that personal attacks were allowed on an AVSIM forum....

I think the recent announcement of the pending release of Microsoft Flight makes it even more unlikely that we'll see a FSX version of PMDG's 737NG...
I'm always up for making easy money, so I would be willing to bet you all your money that your wrong about that, especially since Ryan posted the other day in the PMDG section that the a/c is currently in alpha.
I'm not going to comment past saying that the airplane is in internal alpha testing.
Doesn't mean that it will be out this year, but I am pretty sure that the FSX NGX will make it to market.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You clearly don't know PMDG, ....like....at all...edit - come to think of it, you're absolutely correct, there will be no FSX version of it's (current) 737NG titles, cuz they're obsolete :(
Since when does a personal attack constitute a good argument for switching from the PMDG 737 to the iFly 737?!

Has anyone seen it for sale anywhere or even seen a screen shot of it over two years since FSX was released?
Pics here http://forum.avsim.net/topic/293729-some-dirt-on-the-pmdg-737-ngx/and herehttp://forum.avsim.net/topic/293620-pmdg-737-ngx-pictures-while-we-wait/

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

personal attacks
a personal attack
Hi, Scott! I think you need to lighten up a bit. I know Gavin and Mark and I am sure none of them intends to attack you in any way.Sometimes people just disagree or are surprised with something (like your seriously looking statement on PMDG not releasing their NGX).The important thing is that they don't call you names or call your words idiotic at least.Please notice that you entitled this thread 'iFLY vs PMDG'. In my opinion you took a double risk by that and the price to pay is still really light.Firstly, 'X vs Y' automatically suggests people will be comparing their likings and this ALWAYS gets more or less emotional. That is human nature. Ditto.Secondly, you must know that 'PMDG' means a lot in the FS world and by some is treated almost like a kind of religion. :wink:I am not the one to tell you if it's fine, but I am sure starting a thread 'PMDG vs ...' will surely provoke some... emotions, right?Keep smiling, everybody.