Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tazz

Will "Flight" put current ad-on developers out of business?

If I was a developer I might be a bit worried. Then again, maybe there's no reason to be. Time will tell I guess.

Two things: Why start a new thread just to say something we don't know a thing about, and why post it twice?

Two things: Why start a new thread just to say something we don't know a thing about, and why post it twice?
Well ... Wasn't this forum topic created for all of us to say or talk about something we don't know about yet? The double post is an obvious error. Nothing more. I've yet to figured out how to delete it.

Nothing against you, but it seems that a lot of times, topics like this bring the people together that like to spread rumors and such. Just bugs me when those people try to spread false info around the community. Not saying that you do that or are trying to, but these kinds of topics seem to start it. :(

Nothing against you, but it seems that a lot of times, topics like this bring the people together that like to spread rumors and such. Just bugs me when those people try to spread false info around the community. Not saying that you do that or are trying to, but these kinds of topics seem to start it. :(
I certainly agree with your view on rumor starting. There's absolutely no need for it. Here's my concern. There's some really smart and very talented people out there creating ad-ons for us to enjoy and for them to make a little money on. Over the years, I myself, have invested in many of these which has improved FS9 and FSX for me. I would hate to see a situation where the next "Flight" sim makes it more difficult or next to impossible for ad-on developers to keep adding to or improving and advancing something we all enjoy. I hope MS is listening and sensitive to that thought.

I certainly agree with your view on rumor starting. There's absolutely no need for it. Here's my concern. There's some really smart and very talented people out there creating ad-ons for us to enjoy and for them to make a little money on. Over the years, I myself, have invested in many of these which has improved FS9 and FSX for me. I would hate to see a situation where the next "Flight" sim makes it more difficult or next to impossible for ad-on developers to keep adding to or improving and advancing something we all enjoy. I hope MS is listening and sensitive to that thought.
then the place to voice your concern is on MS site .  they are asking for feedback!

then the place to voice your concern is on MS site .  they are asking for feedback!
You guys certainly know how to make new members feel welcome here.

Will "Flight" put current ad-on developers out of business?
I'll answer this in the shortest forum, 'No'.The last version of FS that supported add-ons would survive and be the most popular/widely used. This doesn't only apply to the virtual world but the real world as well. With facilities like the Delta simulators for example downsizing airline pilots will be given a cariciculum to study at home. Virtual aviation stands to benefit from this because the PC home training concept will be that much more viable. Many Level-D simulators are entertaining the idea of using FS (ESP before Aces closed up shop) as their scenery engine to replace the older visuals even today. Flight Simulation on the PC actually has a bright future. If Microsoft tries to kill add-on manufactures we still have FS9, FSX, and X-Plane to build on. X-Plane is really starting to get it's nitch especially now that standard FS developers are starting to embrace it. It already has made an impression on the real world. You'll see X-Plane in a flying club hanger more these days than you'll see FS. When the day comes it incorporates ATC/AI I'll even take a look. Flying around in a lonely sky ended for me back when FS2k2 was released. Another thing is FSX has allot of years ahead of it even after Flight's release. If 'Flight' proves to be a dud many FS9ers (including myself) will take that cue and begin our FSX transition or co-op (with FS9). Make no mistake without us 'Flight's' sales will suffer as our add-ons validate any version of Flight Simulator because it becomes that much more of an attractive product with products like PMDG and iFly models in it. Plus the competition (X-Plane) is gaining ground with it's add-on market. Microsoft never was one to back down or offer less than it's rivals. Products like PMDG's 744 is known in real world aviation circles make no mistake. When 'Flight' is released hardware will be available and priced low enough for anyone to get into FSX (this stands true if 'Flight' is released next spring). One way or another I'm going to upgrade and I know I speak for allot of people. We have options and the FS version with the most options will be the leader for anyone interested in Flight Simulation. Newest automatically being perceived as best died with the release of FSX. If Microsoft pulls that again the product won't sell. No matter how pretty the base sim is if it can't be built upon and runs decently the novelty wears off rather quickly. Even FSXer's aren't going through the headache of a poor running sim again let alone a closed sim world. Since FS5.1 the add-on community is what's carried FS. If it weren't for us (all who've contributed over the years in some way) FS development at Redmond would have stopped years ago. Even today years after FS9's release you have products like iFly's 737 or FSDT's new Hawaii airports that breath new life into it. REX and Bloom have done wonders in how both FSX and FS9 look (X-Plane as well). The add-on developer will never be killed off by any new version of FS because we the customer are constantly looking for that 'thing' that'll take our experience that much farther and closer to reality. When the basic sim denies us that basic thing which we've been so accustomed to for years that version of FS will be dead.

Microsoft Flight might even offer a kind of portal where you can buy content, in the same way that Iphone/Android apps can be downloaded. Many current games offer downloadable content as well.Instead of putting add-on developers out of business, this will give them a greater audience and will encourage casual simmers to extend their sim.Microsoft can benefit as well by earning some money as the middle man. Preferably the current ways of downloading freeware or buying directly from the developers should remain possible too.

You guys certainly know how to make new members feel welcome here.
dont read into my comment .. it was a just a suggestion to be helpful .... no name calling, no b-rating .. just a suggestion.

As Dillon pointed out, just because there's a new simulator forthcoming doesn't suddenly cause FS9 or FSX to stop working... There will remain a committed number of folks still using either or both sims several years after "MS FLIGHT" takes to the skies...However, since the latest "help wanted" notices from MS Games are for TWO individuals to work on the SDK, that should put to rest any question about whether the new sim will allow for new content creation.So, given that there will be a development SDK for "MS FLIGHT," the main unanswered questions are: just who will have access to the SDK, and will the the "entry price" be affordable?

I Second orchestra_nl's view. Time may get better for developers if Flight indeed comes with a cloud based ordering system for addons. No more pirating since all content would possibly need to be activated through MS Servers. May sound like another big brother but Apple did this too with its App store. All sides would in the end benefit. Just my two cents. Phil

Guest simmer9304

I'm not really much of a developer or anything I don't make a living off of FS but I'm not worried one bit about the upcoming "Flight". I'll keep building airstrips for FSX as long as people want to fly in it. The day after "Flight" was announced I began on my current project and I don't intend to stop any time soon. I think others will probably feel the same way.My two cents.