Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Pacific Northwest (Orbx)

Is anyone using this addon with similar spec to mine (see sig)?I'd VERY much like this addon, but fear I'll end up with an FSX slide show.

Looks ok to me. Watch that autogen sider and use their 003beta patch which really enhances the autogen performance. The dense areas like KSEA will need some attention (use low autogen and low 2.x water) while the more remote stuff will easily achieve high frameratesAlso note their thread with the recommended disabled UTX features (mostly night lighting stuff) to avoid useless double loads of objects PNW has its own night lighting for example).

Also depends on how much and many addon airports you stack on top of the basic scenery. They are CPU intensive and tend to drop the FPS and degrads the screen presentation over time. As the scenery degrades over time just simply click on Display, then change any slider just slightly in either direction, then the scenery will redraw. Takes a little time but you end up with crystal clear scenery. If you do things like use the Y key for Slewing, it will muddy the scenery much faster. If so, use the Display refresh by moving a slider.I have a fairly low end system and I use PNW all the time. You can't shoot touch and goes at KSEA but there is an abundance of other nifty things to do and see. Once you fly in Orbx PNW it is really dificult to go back to the default. It is really that good. I also have REX and it is mosly unused, because it is really CPU intensive. I like to shoot ILS approaches and my system does just fine for those at any and all the PNW airports, including KSEA. One of my favorites is just down the road - KPAE. If you fly low and slow, you can spend weeks in the San Juan Islands area. Airports and seaports all over the place. If you like mountains, this the place. If you like valleys, this is the place, blah, blah, blah. Yes, it is that good.The addon airports are an absolute delight. You must buy a couple just to see how good it gets and ORBX is on a roll, something new, I mean really new and unique every week.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Is anyone using this addon with similar spec to mine (see sig)?I'd VERY much like this addon, but fear I'll end up with an FSX slide show.
Howdy,My rig is very close to yours. I have an E6700/4GB RAM/8800GTS 640MB (Win7-64 bit) and PNW runs very well except in city environments. Cruising Seatle or Vancouver is not great, but as far as low and slow over the mountains and lakes goes, it's fantastic. I have PNW and PFJ (along with FEX) and if I stick to bush flying and small airports I get superb eye candy and solid FPS with the sliders up pretty high.I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Your computer is much more powerful than mine in every which way. That being said I enjoy decent frame rates with Orbx PNW and REX installed.The way this is accomplished is by setting the sliders in FSX to realistic levels (keeping in mind my modest computer system) and avoiding cities like Vancouver and Seattle.Regards, Mike Mann

I very much appreciate your feedback guys, but hey, #####? ... Now I'll have to £$%^&* buy it :(

Phil, My computer isnt the best but if you follow all that was said above you should really enjoy PNW. It changed how I sim and I love every bit of it.

I'm in the 50/50 category.It's clearly a revolutionary FSX product. A lot of people really like it. But a lot of those people also have high-end rigs. I have a middle of the road one (becoming low end day by day lol), and I get a lot of blurries and stutters in PNW. My autogen is set to normal, and AI traffic is zero for boats and road, and low 30's for AI traffic, no addons. It's not so much the lack of FPS, it's just the stutters, and I get them in rural areas too. I'm pretty sure this thing is made for i7 rigs.In fact I just made a post in another thread stating that after my Win7 installation I have yet to reinstall PNW. It's because I can't decide if I want the awesome features (custom landclass, textures, realistic small airports, helipads, etc etc) or stay with scenery that loads properly and won't stutter (default). System specs in my sig...oh p.s. - it should be noted that I won this scenery through a vatsim event and did not have to purchase it. I doubt my opinion would be different though. I've purchased many a FS addons in the past that performed poorly and I've uninstalled them.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I actually found my framerates went up in most of the PNW area. No idea why, but I'm not complaining. My specs are a bit worse than yours. They have a demo for PNW, I think. Why not give it a try to see how it performs?

I hardly fly anywhere else. My system is modest by todays standards (see signature) as well, however if you keep sliders at realistic levels you should not have a problem. With the Carenado C206 and similar aircraft I get 35 FPS locked in all rural areas, but I drop down to about 18 to 24 FPS near Vancouver and Seattle. I use 1x High Water and Normal Autogen around major centers, but can increase to Dense Autogen and 2x Low to Hght Water in rural areas. Performance at Darrington and Concrete addons is also very good with the lower settings. A have vehicle traffic at 8% and AI at 25%. All in all I think you should be fine.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

I hardly fly anywhere else. My system is modest by todays standards (see signature) as well, however if you keep sliders at realistic levels you should not have a problem. With the Carenado C206 and similar aircraft I get 35 FPS locked in all rural areas, but I drop down to about 18 to 24 FPS near Vancouver and Seattle. I use 1x High Water and Normal Autogen around major centers, but can increase to Dense Autogen and 2x Low to Hght Water in rural areas. Performance at Darrington and Concrete addons is also very good with the lower settings. A have vehicle traffic at 8% and AI at 25%. All in all I think you should be fine.
I have one question for those of you that have it. Does it in any way affect the other parts of the world when you have it installed?

I have one question for those of you that have it. Does it in any way affect the other parts of the world when you have it installed?
No. Once you fly beyond its coverage area there is no effect. If you want to you can quickly disable it so as to fly in its coverage area with no changes as well.Regards, Mike Mann

No. Once you fly beyond its coverage area there is no effect. If you want to you can quickly disable it so as to fly in its coverage area with no changes as well.Regards, Mike Mann
Actually, I think it does. Something to do with the autogen. It improves to some degree the default areas. Trees look better among a few other nice results. It comes with a control panel that you click for a) default, :( North America (PNW) or 3) AU then fsx loads the proper scenery files and unload the others.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Looks ok to me. Watch that autogen sider and use their 003beta patch which really enhances the autogen performance. The dense areas like KSEA will need some attention (use low autogen and low 2.x water) while the more remote stuff will easily achieve high framerates
What bozo I am. I only loaded up that 003beta autogen patch yesterday after I read your post. I guess I missed seeing it for the past few months at ORBX.In any case, I won a good 3 to 4 FPS over Portland with that patch. That's not a small thing in FSX.Thanks for mentioning it. :(

What bozo I am. I only loaded up that 003beta autogen patch yesterday after I read your post. I guess I missed seeing it for the past few months at ORBX.In any case, I won a good 3 to 4 FPS over Portland with that patch. That's not a small thing in FSX.Thanks for mentioning it. :(
Where is that beta patch? I went to the ORBX site and I can't locate it.Stan