Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Automated Tweaking and Tuning tool for FSX

i have 2 monitors, will this make any difference to anything or should i apply the changes reccomended?thanks ******* for all your efforts

Had not realised that this would create so much interest so rather than hijack this thread, I will create a new topic later that will cover this and give more details.CheersDave

This is a great tool. Thank you.One thing I noticed is that it gave me a message about flying tips, even though I had flying tips disabled. When I loaded up FSX flying tips were on, so I disabled them. After I ran the tool again to test something out it re-enabled flying tips.That minor note aside, it's nice being able to just fly and to leave the tweaking to a copilot. Thanks much.

I too observed that the tweak turned flying tips on. Outside of this, for people like me who are not gurus, this is the best thing for Flight Sim X. My Sim has never been this smooth. Even in areas like KSEA and ATL where my frame rate will occasionally drop down as low as 10FPS (my FPS now average 25-35, used to be about 17-20), the Sim is still flyable. I now realize that hardware alone will not necessarily give the best results, your FS config file has to match the hardware. I have been running an i7 980e (overclocked to 4.2) 6gs corsair ram and Palit GTX 460 2gs ddr5. The system did run 'okay', but this tweak has really made the Sim fun to fly. It is now so much smoother. I don't need to spend half my time experimenting with tweaks.Thank you *******. I think you have revolutionized flight Sim for me.Robin.

Robin

hhhmm, this sounds great but I keep getting this error!!Any ideas? Follow the instructions to the 'T' and its aint workin!!

Your request could NOT be processed.Reason: There was a problem reading your configuration file.There was a problem reading your configuration file.There was a problem reading your configuration file.There was a problem reading your configuration file.There was a problem reading your configuration file.There was a problem reading your configuration file.There was a problem reading your configuration file.There was a problem reading your configuration file.

try againCheersRich

Hi *******,Thanks for that tool for helping us,I think i did something wrong. Because my old own cfg toll gives more performance than your toll advised.FSX gives about 26-30 fps in VC with my cfg, but advised cfg at least 6 fps less than mine.I have uploaded both cfg's and i will be appreciated if you look and comparse them.Regards.http://hotfile.com/dl/86281242/702fda4/Desktop.rar.html
bump

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

I just found out today about your Tweaking Tool from a post on The Flight Simulator Network www.flightsimulatornetwork.com/ so I had to give it a try. This is a very cool tool Bojote....thanks for your work on this. I am doing some testing between my original fsx.cfg and the new one the tool created and couldn't tell a lot of difference but I am going to do some more testing in the future. I am looking forward to any updating you do to the tool in the future. We had a hard time finding out who created the tool until I did a google search on Bojote and found these posts on AVSIM. If you have the time you might want to visit The Flight Simulator Network and let people know who you are. Your too could save a lot of Simmers....tons of hair pulling. Thanks Again

Randy

We had a hard time finding out who created the tool until I did a google search on Bojote and found these posts on AVSIM.
Randy, Avsim is my home. I don't usually post anywhere else. The 'tweaking' topic dates back to April this year when I did some discoveries in how to make FSX run better. The tool simplifies the process of adding tweaks to your fsx.cfg, specially if you are not familiar with the process of editing this file.The tool adds some 'must have' fixes to your fsx.cfg file, including:HIGHMEMFIX => Enables the D3DXFX_LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag to be passed to all the Shader Compile functions (eg D3DXCreateEffect, D3DXCreateEffectFromFile etc.) so that when FSX uses more than 2GB of memory, the D3D Effects system ALSO is permitted to use this upper memory space. Without HIGHMEMFIX FSX will crash when switching views, alt-tabing or simply textures will get corrupted after a long flight and if using resource hungry add-ons. This was a 'BUG' MS simply forgot to enable HIGHMEMFIX by default. Prepar3D has it enabled by DEFAULT.RejectThreshold => Will 'cap' the ammount of data that is sent per-frame to the Dynamic Vertex Buffers. Originally, FSX had this value set to 2MB, a big NO NO for Dynamic Index and Vertex buffers. When using Dynamc buffers the most efficient way to increase performance is to send ONLY the ammount of data streamed to the card per single frame, usually 128-500 KB. The UsePools=0 option will also make performance better, because the Dynamic vertex buffers are bypassed, however, this creates a problem because of the way FSX is programmed. having UsePools=0 means that the CPU can stall the GPU with requests (they go directly into the card's command buffer) and not the Index/Vertex buffers so FSX has no way to control the 'flow' of data. This two options behave differently depending on your hardware. For example, if you have a VERY fast card, then having Dynamic buffers (RejectThreshold) with a small value will yield the absolute best performance. In your card is not fast enough, then you are better off with UsePools=0. All newer cards (eg GTX400 series), MUST use RejectThreshold instead of UsePools=0. The performance improvement for this change is remarkable.vSync FIX => FSX included two options to enable vSync, but they were deprecated, not used anymore. I discovered the 'real' switches to enable vsync in FSX. This will eliminate 'tearing' but will reduce your FPS in half (to 30) due to the inability to keep 60 FPS constant. If 30 can not be kept, then FSX will fall to 20, then 15, 12 and so on.. thats why it is SO important to lock your frames EXTERNALLY to either 30 or 20.. you have to use multiples of 60!!!TextureMaxLoad => This one dates back to the FS2004 days. It simply affects the 'throttling' algorithm FSX uses when pumping textures per-frame. This value, defaults to 3, which is extremely LOW, current hardware is more than happy with this value set to 30, SPECIALLY when running frames UNLIMITED and locking your frames externally.SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT => We always had this, but nobody knew how to make sense out of it until Adam Szofran (Microsoft) clearly explained how this setting worked. For maximum benefit, this requires a HIGH TextureMaxLoad value, and a VERY LOW SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT setting (such as 2)The tool also determines the optimal AffinityMask setting based on your current hardware configuration so it uses only the cores needed making core 0 free for fiber usage.The tool does NOT run in your PC, it is an online service, so it will process the fsx.cfg file you send, it even makes a backup copy for your convenience, so if you don't like the results, you simply revert back to your original fsx.cfg file and thats it. The tool is 100% free, I don't ask for anything in return because most of the 'discoveries' where thanks to the help of other forum members. There are too many to mention ;) but they know who they are.

JesusI have always complained at people who were never satisfied with a smooth running FSX. My motto is that if it runs smooth, be happy. I have always been happy with a smooth running 15 FPS.Now I am actively telling folk to visit here and your site.I really thought I had tweaked the balls out of my config - my PC is a homebuild based on AMD's FX 62 dual core 64bit and an 8800 nVidia - four years old and still keeping me happy in FSXYour tool has given me an extra 50% and plus performance and the scenery refresh is wayyyy better.Thanks!

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

I ran my cfg thru the .cfg tool. It says: ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 has been added to make FSX Shader 3 compatible - I was under the impression that this is only for ATI cards? I have a GTX480. Do I still need this in such case? If so, must I also install the shader 3 mod that is available as a link in Bojote's signature?Thanks in advance!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I ran my cfg thru the .cfg tool. It says: ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 has been added to make FSX Shader 3 compatible - I was under the impression that this is only for ATI cards? I have a GTX480. Do I still need this in such case? If so, must I also install the shader 3 mod that is available as a link in Bojote's signature?Thanks in advance!
Having ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 is simply a flag to tell FSX that it can use Shader 3. Even if you don't have the Shader 3 Mod in my signature, you get a small benefit from this, due to some of the default FSX shaders compiling as version 3.nVidia users do NOT need the Shader 3 mod because there is no performance improvement of any kind, only visual (water reflections/bump) and distant scenery. ATI users, on the other hand get a nice peformance boost from using this mod because of the aniso filters used for cloud shaders.

Hallo Bojote,I have a question, too...First my System:i7 930 @ 4.2 watercooledWIN7 64 at a velociraptorGTX 470 AMP! (slightly manufacturer overclocked)FSX at extra SSD driveI use Bufferpools=0 as I have very noticeable more frames instead with bufferpools on and RejectThreshold=98304I use external frame limiter at 30 frames, FSX in windowed mode.I play around with all your other tweaks (of course I use a long time Highmemfix), but none of the others have a "significant" effect.My main problem are (Micro)stutters!Flying or taxiing curves (but also noticeable in straight flight) gives me stutters. My frames showing rocksolid around 30, but it is stuttering noticeable.Do you have any idea how to get rid of these stutters?(your online tool is very good, but does not eliminate these stutters. As I said I played around with all your recommendations...thanky very much!Günter

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any idea how to get rid of these stutters?(your online tool is very good, but does not eliminate these stutters. As I said I played around with all your recommendations...thanky very much!Günter
Can you try increasing the RejectThreshold value? in which areas are you experiencing this stuttering? If I were to guess, I'd say you use a non standard Scenery radius value... probably you are using 6.5 / 7.5 correct?Can you try using a mesh resolution of 10m as well... Your problem is definitely related to autogen, if you disable it probably your stutters are completely removed, if that is the case the above recomendations will definitely improve things.