Sign in to follow this  
curt1

J41 SP2

Well, what can I say.I actually purchased the JS41 a few moments ago, after being very impressed with the performance I get with the NGX.Guess i should have looked at this thread first. I am rather surprised by the lower frame rate I get compared to the NGX. And even more surprised that there has been no SP2, despite issues still remaining, and not a single word in reply to this lengthy thread, asking for a response.To be honest, If I can't obtain better performance than I'm seeing so far, I'll be very annoyed and feel somewhat conned. And yes, I have a powerful machine.The silent treatment form PMDG is unacceptable.

I agree about the silect treatment BS. They don't like answering when topics are hot, maybe they feel its like giving in,,, I don't know, and I don't really care, it's bad business any way you slice it.About the FPS difference, well, that should be expected actually (well, if you have the 747). The NGX is new code from the ground up, thus the reason it performs so well. The J41 is ancient in comparison meaning it's a great bird (one of my favorites) but the code probably very similar to the 747 code and no where near the NGX code. I don't think what the SP was for was going to do anything for the fps. I think that would require a complete rework.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Well guess what.I rebooted my PC and ran a proper test, and I'm seeing a couple of frames better than the NGX. So apologies for that Dan.So I'm okay about the frame rate, but the engine sound...Way, way too loud!I wonder if it can be toned down in a sound file?Now I need to learn to fly it.

Edited by martin-w

Well guess what.I rebooted my PC and ran a proper test, and I'm seeing a couple of frames better than the NGX. So apologies for that Dan.So I'm okay about the frame rate, but the engine sound...Way, way too loud!I wonder if it can be toned down in a sound file?Now I need to learn to fly it.
The engine sound is realistic! The J41 is known for this.If the SP2 only fixes the texture flashing I would be happy. No word from PMDG on this after all these posts is pretty poor. Edited by GHarrall

I'm sure it is known for it Glenn, But the pilots have sound deadening headsets on, I don't.We shouldn't have to be turning the sound down, and then every flight adjusting the FSX ATC sound so we can hear it.

I'm sure it is known for it Glenn, But the pilots have sound deadening headsets on, I don't.We shouldn't have to be turning the sound down, and then every flight adjusting the FSX ATC sound so we can hear it.
Fair enough....I use a headset for ATC so I guess it doesn't bother me.

I'm sure it is known for it Glenn, But the pilots have sound deadening headsets on, I don't.
That has been my take on the reply people often say "It's realistic!!!". No, it is but it isn't because like you said you would have other things. Personally I wouldn't really want them to tone them down for me but having the options to do so like the NGX without having to access the menu is a great thing. I turn down the engine sounds quite a lot in the J41. I don't care about realism when I can't hear the ATC or when the sound is so loud, the noise coming from my headphones wakes up my sleeping beauty (ok, in this case I currently only have a cat..).The queen is the same for me. Sure it's "realistic" and that's swell, but the wind sounds ruin it for me. I found the associated files and turned them down with Adobe Audition so now I don't have to keep adjusting my sound settings every time I choose to fly something different. I would suggest the same to you with the J41 sounds. Since thats the bird I fly the most right now, I leave my settings how I have it so never edited the sounds but it certainly can be done.What would be great, and much more "realistic", is if the different sounds were on independant channels, so I could have my speakers with all the ambients and atc through my cans. Since that is more likely not possible, it would be a cool options for those that know how, to add a button (check box) for such a thing. Therefor changing the sound volume slightly for all ambient sounds. I don't know how to do it for fsx, but I have created thousands of my own sounds, including my own AI pack with such a thing. Sort of how meatwater redid the Radar contact voices.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I don't care about realism when I can't hear the ATC or when the sound is so loud, the noise coming from my headphones wakes up my sleeping beauty (ok, in this case I currently only have a cat..).
Never wake up a cat Dan. I know from personnel experience your feline will be straight to the food dish and he won't shut up till you feed him/her. :(

Haha, yeppers, that's her alright.

Dan Prunier

Well, there's a response anyway. No mention of the icing, which is fine for me. All of it is fine for me actually, I just wanted some sort of response, and there we go.

Dan Prunier

do you guys know of an easy way to get the overhead panel up quickly? there is no shortcut apart from tabbing through the whole gamut of views. is it possible to change the overhead view to the first when pressing "A"?thanks

Hello,please have a look in this thread: clickotherwise, ever considered EZDOK camera?I have purchased it recently and I'm very happy with it.I do not use the whole camer shaking stuuf. I just use it for exact there cases as you can define very fast and easy your personal camer view which could be toggled with any key as you like!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do you guys know of an easy way to get the overhead panel up quickly? there is no shortcut apart from tabbing through the whole gamut of views. is it possible to change the overhead view to the first when pressing "A"?thanks
Yes it is possible. I will post tonight for you when I am at my home PC.

Open the main folder of the J41 that you find under the FSX Aircraft folder(windows7 standard install it should be)C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSimObjectsAirplanesPMDG_JS4100Find the aircraft.cfg file and make a backup incase you mess up so that you can have a file to use to restore from.Now open the aircraft.cfg file under the main J41 folder, with notepad.Scroll right down till you find [CameraDefinition.007]Now CUT the whole section from [CameraDefinition.007] till before [CameraDefinition.008] (it is this part)
[CameraDefinition.007]Title = "Overhead Panel"Guid = {B7032D83-7C77-41a1-96D0-C1D907B36D1E}Origin = Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect = NoSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = YESAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.75SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 1.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitPitchPanRate=20HeadingPanRate=60InitialXyz=0.425, -0.58, -0.5InitialPbh=-59.0, 0, 0

Now past it before [Cameradefinition.001]Now rename the newly added section header [Cameradefinition.007] to [Cameradefinition.001]Then rename the next section header [Cameradefinition.001] to [Cameradefinition.002]Then rename the next section header [Cameradefinition.002] to [Cameradefinition.003]Then rename the next section header [Cameradefinition.004] to [Cameradefinition.004]Then rename the next section header [Cameradefinition.005] to [Cameradefinition.005]Then rename the next section header [Cameradefinition.006] to [Cameradefinition.007]and you will then have the next section called [Cameradefinition.008] that you dont have to renumber.So infact you just moved cameradefinition 07 and add it in front of cameradefinition 01 (renamed it as cameradefinition01 and then renumbered the rest then again to follow on the newly added cameradefinition 01 to be cameradefinition02, cameradefinition03 etc etc..If you do not come right send me a PM and I will help you.