Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

"Carburetor" Icing

Cruising along at FL 100 in clear air in my C340 which has fuel injection engines, the old power loss caught me by surprise. Fortunately, I recalled reading a post about the "H" key and icing. So, I pressed it and instantly got a surge of power back to normal. Thanks to whoever put that piece of info on the forum.My real gripe is the inaccuracy in this flight model: We all know that fuel injected engines do not get "carburetor" icing as they do not have carburetors. Further, icing cannot occur in clear air as I experienced yesterday. Icing requires visible moisture, or is my memory of meteorology failing?The C340 is a dream of a plane, even if the Wx radar fails after about 10 minutes into a flight. Sure would be nice to use it sometimes.I am still not sure about the auto-pilot: is it supposed to disengage all functions when only one button is pressed? I turn off ALT hold and HDG hold disengages also.Aside from these points, it will easily replace the Bonanza and Seneca for X-country flights.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

My real gripe is the inaccuracy in this flight model: We all know that fuel injected engines do not get "carburetor" icing as they do not have carburetors.
Of course they don't. However, the fault lies with FS itself, not the aircraft. FS has never handled fuel-injected engine modeling properly.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am still not sure about the auto-pilot: is it supposed to disengage all functions when only one button is pressed? I turn off ALT hold and HDG hold disengages also.
This does not happen on my system... How do you turn off ALT hold? If I either push the ALT button or the up/down rocker switch, ALT hold is disconnected, but HDG holdstays on.

Bert

there was someone else that has also posted here somewhere that he had this phenomena where they lost power at 10000. It is in one of the posting here. Dont know if his problem was solved. I will see if I can find that posting for you.I just recall I did see such a post with some comments

This really has absolutely nothing to do with the Carb. Heat relationship that it seems all aircraft have in FS, but for what it might ever be worth to anyone:I recently duplicated Amelia's round the world flight and discovered another odd way to loose power. Thank goodness that it is unique, or at least very rare. After many years and countless hours of FS flight as far as I know it is isolated only to the following location and only applies when implementing Active Sky for weather. Active Sky confirmed that others had the experience that I was seeing.Somewhere over Pakistan I began to loose manifold pressure finally to the extent that I could not maintain altitude. I discovered that barometric pressure was dropping so low that this was the reason that realistic manifold pressure could not be maintained. While located in that isolated area, I discovered that by defaulting back to Microsoft updated weather rather than Active Sky there was no problem.Happy flying:RTH

Thanks for such informative replies, especially about FSX being the"carb ice culprit":(.As for the AP: If I push the NAV button (on or off) then the ALT is disengaged. If ALT button is pushed to Disengage then HDG also disengages. The reverse is true also. It is no problem now that I know to double check.I use Active Sky Evolution and REX Wx engine and have read several posts stating that ASE or ASA sometimes cause trouble. Dunno about REX. I will leave ASE inactive for a time and see what does/doesn't happen.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Thanks for such informative replies, especially about FSX being the"carb ice culprit":(.As for the AP: If I push the NAV button (on or off) then the ALT is disengaged. If ALT button is pushed to Disengage then HDG also disengages. The reverse is true also. It is no problem now that I know to double check.I use Active Sky Evolution and REX Wx engine and have read several posts stating that ASE or ASA sometimes cause trouble. Dunno about REX. I will leave ASE inactive for a time and see what does/doesn't happen.
Neal, have you modified the AP in some way?This was a problem with the Seneca, but has since been fixed and should not be happening.

Bert

Neal, have you modified the AP in some way?[/Quote]Me? I the kind of guy that would use a hammer to fix a broken watch. I use only mods that you and a few other trusted simmers provide.My next flight is Paris to London and I will pay more attention to AP button pushes.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg