Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

Comments on the New File Library

Bill,Are you referring to the column when viewed in scan mode?
Yes, I'm sorry i was not too clear. In "Scan" mode the category column is narrow in width, thus the category description often flows to 3 lines. The result is that it harder to discern one selection/ file from another. If color coding is not viable, giving the category column more width, may make it easier.Just a suggestion.ThanksBill

I did post this in the more general thread but will repeat here (sorry)I like to use the "what's new" link feature, but the following make it less useful for me than before1. I like to set to "scan". When I do that:a. No color highlighting of sim version for entriesb. No way to sort by categoryc. I like to increase/decrease my font size within FF 3.6.15 browser. When I increase font, the page rearranges to word-wrap and I end up with each scan entry taking up 5 screen lines which I don't think the old library did. Even if I shrink the font to get a single text line, because of the view and download buttons it takes up about 3 lines per entry.scott s..

Lots of thumbnail images missing. Are these not linked yet or will they have to be re uploaded again?

Bill,Are you referring to the column when viewed in scan mode?
I think soAs you can see in the picture one cannot see where catagory ends and the name begins. Some more space or a seperator line would be great2011-03-08_084956.png

Everything's worked pretty much OK for me. Being the last remaining dial-up user on the planet, of course I hate the ads and graphics, but hey it's free and ads are one of the hazards of indulging in free things.I think the support topic is the best idea anyone's come up with for a file library yet, but I'm curious to know what criteria was used to determine which files required a support thread and which ones didn't, or is it a WIP and simply not finished yet? Reason I ask is I was looking at some of my own files and see that some do and some don't have support topics, and in some cases it seems the files that more likely needed a support topic didn't while simpler files did. Also, as the author of a particular file, would that person get an e-mail notifying them of replies to the associated support topic as one does with subscribed forum threads and private messages? That would be a good thing to consider if not.Jim

As with most other persons who have commented on the revised File Library presentation format, I agree that the new format is not particularly user friendly.I used the the old "check new files" link - left side of home page in big red upper case lettering - to go directly to the file library. Although files applicable to various platforms were presented together, I presume in "upload order", they were colour-coded so that new FSX applicable files, in my interest case, were easily identified. I generally used/use the Scan Mode to view the latest uploads, then clicked/click the View button to consider the upload in more detail.I also opine that the new AVSIM homepage is rather more cluttered than it need be and looks very similar in format to another well known flight simulation interest internet offering.I hope that the executives at AVSIM acknowledge some of these issues and work with the regular users to make the site, in particular the new File Library presentation format, easier to use.Thank you. Postscript:- I have created a "new account" for this "new" site, hence my "newbie" handle and joining date. I could not remember the e-mail address under which I originally joined.

I used the the old "check new files" link - left side of home page in big red upper case lettering - to go directly to the file library. Although files applicable to various platforms were presented together, I presume in "upload order", they were colour-coded so that new FSX applicable files, in my interest case, were easily identified. I generally used/use the Scan Mode to view the latest uploads, then clicked/click the View button to consider the upload in more detail.
I also checked certain arrays for new files in scan mode.What i have done now is i just used the file browser mode, selected the group i'm interested in, sorted it by date and put it in scan mode.f.i.http://www.library.avsim.net/searchresults.php?searchid=1602&sort=date&sorttype=desc&mode=scanThe resulting link i just copied and used that as a quick way to show he group. (or made a favorite of it, place it in a group and with one click i open the 4 links i'm interested in in seperate tabs)

Wow. AVsim staff had been changed their minds to bring back old features. Good job staff bring it back. It's good thing to have back up. Stuart

Like the band Cinderella used to sing..."Don't know what you got, till its gone"I'm very happy to see the old format back, at least temporarily. I think the intent was good on Avsim's attempt to modernize the looks of the site, but the execution could have been better. It is imperative that such a changeover is thoroughly tested and that the users have a say before the transition to a new format, I am hoping that Avsim doesn't abandon their makeover project, but rather that they take the abundant user feedback to improve upon the older layout without sacrificing the ease of access and visual readability we have come to know and love.The file library as it is great, it just needs to be smarter. It looked like the new library's accuracy in terms of search results was getting better, it's just the visual presentation and user interface was less than expected. Applying blog elements to the library was a major turn off.Please take your time to make sure any forthcoming changes are tested well before you pull the trigger, change can be good but sometimes it can be hard to improve upon perfection.

Well folks, I think we have our answer. The new system has some bugs, which I'm sure the Big Guys are now aware of and will rectify as soon as possible.I think most of the constituency is in agreement that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Avsim has always been known for its consistency; the site isclean, no ads or themes screaming out at you, the File Library gives you the info that you need. Honestly, IMHO (read: humble) you should keep it just as it is, with the only addition being a thumbnail of the object (aircraft, scenery, etc.) in theactual File Description listing, not a link to the "this picture is not available" page.Avsim's reputation and legacy in the Flight Simulation community is legendary... let's keep it that way. Change is good, but there are instances where it's really not needed. This is one of them.Alan :)

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Simplicity is key. Look at Google, as minimalist as you can possibly get, and that is why so many swear by it. The fancy tables and whizbang graphic technology may work for advertising products or crazy blogs, but that is not what flight sim fanatics are looking for when they want to peruse news/reviews or downloading freeware files. That is the lesson to be learned here.

Guest blackswan

I didn't like the new style either but I'll stay tuned for the next version. I think that one important point would be to stick to the old link that thousands of sites used to refer to AVSIM. Either keep the old file or redirect requests made to the old file to the new version.

library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=156757
cheers,tobi

Well folks, I think we have our answer. The new system has some bugs, which I'm sure the Big Guys are now aware of and will rectify as soon as possible.I think most of the constituency is in agreement that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Avsim has always been known for its consistency; the site isclean, no ads or themes screaming out at you, the File Library gives you the info that you need. Honestly, IMHO (read: humble) you should keep it just as it is, with the only addition being a thumbnail of the object (aircraft, scenery, etc.) in theactual File Description listing, not a link to the "this picture is not available" page.Avsim's reputation and legacy in the Flight Simulation community is legendary... let's keep it that way. Change is good, but there are instances where it's really not needed. This is one of them.Alan :)
Echoes my thoughts exactly. I enjoy and appreciate change, but I also think this is one instance where keeping it simple and consistent (as it has been), with only a few necessary changes here and there, can really to continue to pay off. Not to mention that I could easily browse most pages through a smart phone browser but forget about it on the new design.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I'm glad to see the old front page back. I can quickly scan all the news with my mouse wheel which I was severely missing. BobKMEM

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

If AVSIM needs more beta testers for the new site, just drop me a pm/email, i'm willing to make some free time for that.