Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AWACS

Does anybody's new computer slow down a lot with weather?

I just flew from KGRR to KMKG with the open clouds weather addon, it gave me the exact weather we are having, broken clouds, thunderstorms in the distance, and some rain and wind, but once I view towards the sky FSX just becomes a stuttering mess. My specs are good, and so far weather is the only thing that has slowed FSX down so far. Anyone have any possible solutions, I'd certainly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, I figured it out, it was my AA setting in nvidia inspector, I was using the SUPERVCAA 64x12 thing. I just changed it to 8xQ, and I'm all set.

Try 8xS + 2x SGSS (Transparency). I would like to know if you run it fluently, even in high weather.EDIT: SGSS = Sparse Grid Super Sampling

Try 8xS + 2x SGSS (Transparency). I would like to know if you run it fluently, even in high weather.
8xS and 2XSGSS works very well for me on a 480 moderately overclocked to 800/2000.

Try 8xS + 2x SGSS (Transparency). I would like to know if you run it fluently, even in high weather.EDIT: SGSS = Sparse Grid Super Sampling
Is this setting better in terms of IQ as my currently used SUPERVCAA 64x_4v12?

Is this setting better in terms of IQ as my currently used SUPERVCAA 64x_4v12?
Better in terms of IQ, no, but it's close, and it is far less taxing on performance, especially in areas of heavy high-def clouds as the OP discovered. 8xS with 2X sparse grid supersampling (transparency AA) is the minimum AA level that for me kills off shimmering of oblique lines such as beveled edges in VCs, runway edges, taxi lines etc.

Better in terms of IQ, no, but it's close, and it is far less taxing on performance, especially in areas of heavy high-def clouds as the OP discovered. 8xS with 2X sparse grid supersampling (transparency AA) is the minimum AA level that for me kills off shimmering of oblique lines such as beveled edges in VCs, runway edges, taxi lines etc.
Same here. I tested so many modes, and in different situations, I find it best compromise performance vs quality. Without SGSS, I was recently landing at LFML, and it was a damn shimmering mess of taxi lines...

So, what setting should I be using? I'm currently running 8xSQ.settings.jpg

Antialiasing Setting - 8xSAntialiasing Transparency Supersampling - 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Thanks! And this is about the same IQ as 8xSQ but better performance?

Heh,Yes My PC does! But in a way that I think the original question wasnt aimed at I suspect LOL.gif When the temps get up here in summer and I'm running FSX the fans in my box go crazy - only because its probably 40+ deg C (fry eggs on car time) outside.Yes I do need a new PC with a better cooling system.. I'm never going AMD processor again for FSX - too damn noisy.Cheers,David

Thanks! And this is about the same IQ as 8xSQ but better performance?
I would argue that it's better IQ than 8xSQ, and with better performance.

It is better picture quality and it's lower performing than 8xSQ.As PT once said: there is no free lunch in FSX.There are only compromises. And I think this one is a good one.

Resurecting old thread, but Bob says better performing than 8xSQ. Word Not Allowed, are you agreeing with Bob or saying it performs worse than 8xSQ?

Resurecting old thread, but Bob says better performing than 8xSQ. Word Not Allowed, are you agreeing with Bob or saying it performs worse than 8xSQ?
In combo with 2xSGSS it performs worse, but better picture quality. Alone 8xS is lighter on the system than 8xSQ.

Thanks for the tip. My FSX was a shimmering mess but the 2xSGSS has helped a lot. Also the AA on the NGX displays is much better with this setting. I did not notice any huge performance hit. If anyone has a better way of getting rid of the shimmers, please let me know. Right now my AS is 16x. Basically the NickN settings. Mark.