Sign in to follow this  
Epgd

May update! new shots

Well, that looks pretty good. I can't wait for them to release Microsoft Hawaii Simulator, erm, I mean Flight.Al
Oh didn't anyone tell you Al that Flight is just for Hawaii :( :(

Guest jahman
  1. See the sun glinting off the edges of the ridges (top right)Pilot self-shadows on wing
  2. Trees and buildings have realistic shadowsBreaking waves are greatly improved
  3. Buildings are self-shadowing!Also nice self-shadows on aircraft wings.
  4. Cliffs are looking a lot betterAirport merges-in nicely with surrounding scenery (as opposed to looking like a giant postage stamp).
  5. Sun and Shadow details on scenery and aircraft are looking very nice.

To me Flight vs. FSX is starting to look like FSX was vs. FS9. Well done Microsoft!Cheers,- jahman.

What a great platform this will be for third party devs.
Absolutely. If this is default, I can't wait to see an Orbx Extreme Makeover.

One thing im NOT seeing, cloud shadows dry.gif We cant have it all I guess? Its still early, I hope.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Currently working on screenshot comparisons in FSX. Finished 3 and 4. Not sure on the locations of 1, 2, and 5. Anyone?

Brandon Filer

:Big Grin:Looks like photoreal images, I only hope that's of the entire world, but it is not likely. That would be 4 Blurrays distribution. :(

Currently working on screenshot comparisons in FSX. Finished 3 and 4. Not sure on the locations of 1, 2, and 5. Anyone?
I think #1 is Hana Airport

Looks good, not exceptional. 1: 7/10. Aircraft looks really good. Scenery looks average.2: 7.5/10. Building looks nice.3: 7.5/10. Impressed and not so impressed. The (further) skyscrapers tended to be bland rectangular prisms rather than believable buildings (almost as if their card driver crashed). Looks like they created a palette based on the colors from a Windows 98 desktop. However, the medium and smaller buildings really impressed me.4: 8.5/10. Everything looks pretty good.5: 8/10. Looks good. Nothing really new here. Still room to improve.

Still room to improve.
If there wasent, us 3rd party's wouldnt have anything to do!!! =)

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

#1 is off the coast at Hana, PHHN#5 is up near Kahuku (sp?) on the NW tip of O'ahu.I'm guessing at #2, but I think it's up at the NE tip of Kaui'i, heading south.Aloha, baby!

In bold is what I think...

1: 7/10. Aircraft looks really good. Scenery looks average. Scenery looks amazing after comparing it to FSX2: 7.5/10. Building looks nice.3: 7.5/10. Impressed and not so impressed. The (further) skyscrapers tended to be bland rectangular prisms rather than believable buildings (almost as if their card driver crashed). Looks like they created a palette based on the colors from a Windows 98 desktop to paint the buildings. Coloring of the buildings looks fine compared to this real photo.4: 8.5/10. Everything looks pretty good.5: 8/10. Looks good. Nothing really new here. For the first time, we see a big city, not just forests and such. We also are seeing a new plane and new livery on the Stearman. We are also seeing airport/general land transitions better in this set, along with the waves along the coast.
#1 is off the coast at Hana, PHHN#5 is up near Kahuku (sp?) on the NW tip of O'ahu.I'm guessing at #2, but I think it's up at the NE tip of Kaui'i, heading south.Aloha, baby!
And thanks to you and chapstick for the locations! Will check them out.

Brandon Filer

Sure it looks "amazing" compared to a game made in 2006. Scenery looks average.Touché. But the "Windows 98 colors" statement was more of a joke. You missed the gist--the sentence before it."Nothing really new here" wasn't directed at the entire album, but just picture 5.

Unfortunately, it looks like we will NEVER get a true overcast. I would do with a blanket white sheet below like we had in fs4 just to get the realism of 'breaking out' back. This is ridiculous for 2011.

Unfortunately, it looks like we will NEVER get a true overcast. I would do with a blanket white sheet below like we had in fs4 just to get the realism of 'breaking out' back. This is ridiculous for 2011.
Just because they haven't shown it yet, doesn't mean it's not going to be a feature. :(

Brandon Filer

Great shots. Personally i also would like to see they focus more on the Core of flightsimulation. Which is 1: Airplane (Leave that to 3rd party developers) and 2: Air (which includes wind, weather and clouds) Those are the parts a simmer spent most of the time in during a session. Judging from the screenshots the air part needs a lot of attention to become really immersive. I hope this is still a part that is been worked on. On my wishlist: Volumetric clouds (with shadows) that you really can fly in and out. Like flying in a grey fog with maybe some vapor on the windscreen and which gets lightened at night from external lights. A well working wind and weather system (that can be seen by weather radar). And lastly realistic depiction of rain and snow and icing.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.