Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

MS Flight Webisode 4: Explore

Yah know, before this particular forum (Flight) started I was not completely sure what the whole meaning of Pavlov's dog experiments was all about. Now I know...... :( But I'm not certain if this old dog can come back that many times more, for what amounts to no reward.Bob

Flight will be what FSX should have been before MS closed Aces.Phil T. and his team were working on FSX improvement ( SP3 or what ever you all want to call it and Phil correct me if I'm wrong) and as you all know MS gave them a pink slip by closing Aces.The difference from then and now is that when Flight is released you will have to pay for the enhancement.I can understand Phil's frustration with some of the post here, he and his team were working very hard to get DX10 up and running for FSX, they gave us SP1 and SP2 and I can surely appreciate that, it is just a shame that these guys don't get enough credit for what they did with FSX (they paved the road) and now somebody else will finish their work.
Unfortunaterly it appears that what ACES was developing was not what Microsoft wanted. The result was that ACES was disbanded and flight simulator development transferred to MGS to develop what Microsoft wanted - a game with wider appeal.

They did pave the road. And they should get the credit for that. But they also got boxed into hardware limitations with no leadership direction and support to get back out. MS decided to do that in one fell swoop. It was probably needed given the circumstances.Given the blunt way it happened, I suspect the chiefs at MS were not happy about getting boxed-in in the first place. That and the fact that a movement to the cloud, necessitated by cell phone and tablet based operating systems is a huge threat to the domination of MS as the operating system of choice. Android already has Google, Youtube, database capacity galore, and a boat load of cash. Microsoft needs their own unique thing, and one of those is Games For Windows Live. I am quite certain this is a much bigger threat to them than Netscape Navigator, who came very close to unseating them, when MS had no browser. Netscape did intend to put an entire operating system in that thing as the next move. They sued because MS's left hook of giving IE away for free knocked them clear off of those well laid plans. Windows 8 is a cloud based operating system. This is clearly going to be a huge fight for operating system dollars.Bob

A magazine article. A blog. A sound bite. A press release of any kind. Just observe what the X-Plane developers are doing over on their page.Do I need the details of their programming code? No. Just some basic objectives of their next edition.
That's all out there for your dissection.

That's all out there for your dissection.
I think speculation rather than dissection, would be a better fit.Regards, Mike Mann

Unfortunaterly it appears that what ACES was developing was not what Microsoft wanted. The result was that ACES was disbanded and flight simulator development transferred to MGS to develop what Microsoft wanted - a game with wider appeal.
I agree but not only that, MS was amazed to see how far some developers pushed the limitation of FSX and from there the idea of a store for add-ons came up after some long discussion between peoples who have an interest in having a store up and running under MS umbrella where you can display and sell your stuff, it's a schatch my back and I'll scratch yours type of deal.

I am so relieved that the runway textures (over all textures too) are not as bad as they were in webisode 2. Also, I noticed they still have the birds, just hope they use them more often than just in the missions.

It's just that we remember the photoshopped sunburst picture with the foamy lake water that made everybody think FSX with DX10 would be epic.
First, I can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT IN MY MIND, that the FSX team and MS learned there lesson about the "magic screen shot" ordeal. It was not there fault. That screen shot was never ment to be released and was a target concept, not an actual screen shot. It was 1 screenshot out of how many? 1!!! Uno! Now, we have Flight that has released 20-30 screenshots, and MULTIPLE VIDEO's! Yet 1 screenshot from a previous product, and a previous team invalidates all of it? Give it a rest already! They KNOW they messed up, and they WONT do it again. You cant easly fake a video like a screenshot. It would take more budget to do that then just simply making it look THAT GOOD, and THATS A FACT.
Flight will be what FSX should have been before MS closed Aces.Phil T. and his team were working on FSX improvement ( SP3 or what ever you all want to call it and Phil correct me if I'm wrong) and as you all know MS gave them a pink slip by closing Aces.The difference from then and now is that when Flight is released you will have to pay for the enhancement.I can understand Phil's frustration with some of the post here, he and his team were working very hard to get DX10 up and running for FSX, they gave us SP1 and SP2 and I can surely appreciate that, it is just a shame that these guys don't get enough credit for what they did with FSX (they paved the road) and now somebody else will finish their work.
Wrong, on SO SO MANY LEVELS!!! There was no SP3. The development team had already switched onto FS11. These free "enhancements" your dreaming of is a myth.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I am so relieved that the runway textures (over all textures too) are not as bad as they were in webisode 2. Also, I noticed they still have the birds, just hope they use them more often than just in the missions.
Yeah I definitely noticed the better runway textures, and the new Taxiway sign model. Lovely. I'd like to see modelled taxiway/ runway lights, I know this is just a tiny thing, but still... rolleyes.gif (I mean the actual light itself, the thing that sticks into the ground, not the light that affects the environment. I feel really smart now for saying that :( ). But its shaping up to be really good! :DAlso, I've analysed that video over and over, I keep hitting play again for more (its probably in the low hundreds now, the times I've watched it) and I never saw birds... Even after you said that I looked again on the video, and I couldn't find any dry.gifBut Imagine we'll be seeing more of them anyway, there a huge part (/ annoyance) of pilots in the real world, and maayyybeee if we could have some damage modelling/ simulation (e.g. Actual ice build up on the model, maybe some hail ingestion, bird strikes and the more likely; being able to burst tires).You might think that I'm wishing for too much, but really... It wouldn't be that difficult to implement those things, would it? To an extent? I do probably wish for too much. rolleyes.gif But we'll see! Jamie ♥

I never saw birds...
They all flew into the trees when they heard the aircraft; that's why the trees were swaying.Regards, Mike Mann

Yeah I definitely noticed the better runway textures, and the new Taxiway sign model. Lovely. I'd like to see modelled taxiway/ runway lights, I know this is just a tiny thing, but still... rolleyes.gif (I mean the actual light itself, the thing that sticks into the ground, not the light that affects the environment. I feel really smart now for saying that :( ). But its shaping up to be really good! :DAlso, I've analysed that video over and over, I keep hitting play again for more (its probably in the low hundreds now, the times I've watched it) and I never saw birds... Even after you said that I looked again on the video, and I couldn't find any dry.gifBut Imagine we'll be seeing more of them anyway, there a huge part (/ annoyance) of pilots in the real world, and maayyybeee if we could have some damage modelling/ simulation (e.g. Actual ice build up on the model, maybe some hail ingestion, bird strikes and the more likely; being able to burst tires).You might think that I'm wishing for too much, but really... It wouldn't be that difficult to implement those things, would it? To an extent? I do probably wish for too much. rolleyes.gif But we'll see! Jamie ♥
LOL..so we are playing I spy? If you look at the top of the right wheel pants of the plane taking off at 1:06, you will see two birds flying in the distance. Edit: Off coarse you have to see the clip in its enlarged form to see the birds.

They all flew into the trees when they heard the aircraft; that's why the trees were swaying.Regards, Mike Mann
Hmm.... I don't think so, in my opinion. I never saw the birds, but the tree swaying was probably the wind... ah we'll find out soon enough :( Other peoples opinions? Birds or wind?
LOL..so we are playing I spy? If you look at the top of the right wheel pants of the plane taking off at 1:08, you will see two birds flying in the distance. Edit: Off coarse you have to see the clip in its enlarged form to see the birds.
**EDIT** I STAND CORRECTED!!! WOO FOR THE TINY DOT OF WHITE LIGHT THAT SEEMS TO BE A BIRD! YEY :D (no sarcasm intended).... yikes, I really hope we modelled have bird strikes! :D

I'll leave this here.Jamie ♥ Edited by xXArch_AngelXx

Hmm.... I don't think so, in my opinion. I never saw the birds, but the tree swaying was probably the wind... ah we'll find out soon enough :( Other peoples opinions? Birds or wind? **EDIT** I STAND CORRECTED!!! WOO FOR THE TINY DOT OF WHITE LIGHT THAT SEEMS TO BE A BIRD! YEY :D (no sarcasm intended).... yikes, I really hope we modelled have bird strikes! :D

I'll leave this here.Jamie ♥
Did you see them? I made a mistake they (they are two of them) are clearly visible at 1:06 and they end at 1:08. Right above the right wheel but below the wing. They actually move. Well at least they look like they are moving to me.

Did you see them?
Yup. :D Wow, you should be a eagle or something, did you stare at that exact spot for hours on end hoping that one day you would see something others might not have? LOL... I didn't even see that, maybe it was because i was so excited and fixated on the plane and the new textures n stuff I failed to notice! BTW on that exact clip of that plane taking off, notice how great the clouds look? They seem... well, 3D. Don't they? Jamie ♥

I am trying to decide if those are birds, stars, or lights from another aircraft. :(

Brandon Filer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.