Sign in to follow this  
Cirrus22

VIDEO: PMDG 737NGX Takeoff from Gatwick

Amazing quality video, would have loved to see a proper take off (with F/D and A/T at least, perhaps LNAV and VNAV), though. However I assume it is simulated as good as the rest. Well, we'll find out next week, hopefully...

Nice video! Arises a couple of questions from me: 1. To my understanding, turning on the CWS offers autotrim and "bank hold". How often is it normally used? Since Nick said you need to pay a lot of attention into trimming the airplane vs. the MD-11, I would be curious to know why not just turn on the CWS after takeoff? 2. Is the yaw damper normally turned on throughout the flight? So even when flying by hand, you don't need to use any rudder input except in crosswind landings?In MD-11, the YD does not seem to be able to keep the "ball" centered, and I'm wondering if the 737 has actually got the first fully working yaw damper simulation in PMDG (or FS) history?
1. Flying manually is more fun, it offers more of a challenge, CWS was only used to reduce workload partially, makes it fly kinda like an airbus, at least that was what I was told about FBW on my airbus induction course.... 2. Yes, the YD is left on the whole flight, rudder is still needed but not alot, thats there to keep the pilot aware of how he is flying the plane.... Sorry if that's a bit simple...

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

1. Flying manually is more fun, it offers more of a challenge, CWS was only used to reduce workload partially, makes it fly kinda like an airbus, at least that was what I was told about FBW on my airbus induction course.... 2. Yes, the YD is left on the whole flight, rudder is still needed but not alot, thats there to keep the pilot aware of how he is flying the plane.... Sorry if that's a bit simple...
Hi, Thanks for the answers! Could you elaborate a bit on the second one though. Do you mean you always need to use a bit of rudder in manual turns, or just occasionally if the yaw damper can't keep up?

Hi, Thanks for the answers! Could you elaborate a bit on the second one though. Do you mean you always need to use a bit of rudder in manual turns, or just occasionally if the yaw damper can't keep up?
You always need to use just a bit, but not as much as you would need with no YD....Its just to keep the situational awareness up is all... YD isn't that important in turns as much as it is in straight and level flight to prevent a dutch roll in aircraft that are unstable in the yaw axis. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_roll

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Hey Nick,youre video is awesome. But I have a question. You were irretated by the Max TO Weight because it was 174,7. You were correct this is the MAX Taxi Weight. I looked it up in my manuals. But you fly the 800 in the video aren't you ? Because those weights are for the 900. The 800 has got 155,5 Max TO Weight. I'm confused about this :D
Yeah man, that's what I thought when I saw the video...I'm (almost) sure that PMDG corrected it, in the release version Luiz Cunha

You always need to use just a bit, but not as much as you would need with no YD....Its just to keep the situational awareness up is all... YD isn't that important in turns as much as it is in straight and level flight to prevent a dutch roll in aircraft that are unstable in the yaw axis. See http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dutch_roll
Ok thanks, that cleared it up to me. For some reason it has always been a bit unclear to me if the airliners need any rudder input at all in manual flight.

Thank you Nick for this very informative and entertaining video. As english is not my first language I really appreciate your clear an very easy to understand comments. Please keep that up. Stephan Reissner

Really enjoyed the video !Great yaw damper explanation. Rolling Eyes.gif

Great video. I finally learned what the yaw damper does!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This issue has already been resolved by EMV. Please remember that those videos are taken using older beta versions.
This is what sets PMDG apart form the rest

haha Nick, awesome video, 10/10 mate :)
Hello Marc...I think your banner's awesome, I hope it won't be a problem with pmgd.

Hello Marc...I think your banner's awesome, I hope it won't be a problem with pmgd.
I hope so :) and thanks

Beautifully amazing nick ! I would buy your training although I am French and I do not understand English very well! ** Do you use HDR bloom Effect ? ** What's your configuration please ? Because you have perfect clarity, and for me is very dark. I hope you answer me, Nick ** -----------Mathieu Laws
I have asked the same question a few months ago, when watching their MD-11 training. They use the HDR addon with the settings by John Venema from Orbx. You can find that in their forum, but you have to register.

Hi Nick,I am writing as a reaction (addition) to Bookie454's request for caption in the video's.Being non american, me too would like to see captioning in the video's. It's not always easy to hear what you say for me either, and i think i speak for a lot of non english speaking simmers.Just a thought...

I have asked the same question a few months ago, when watching their MD-11 training. They use the HDR addon with the settings by John Venema from Orbx. You can find that in their forum, but you have to register.
Hi, Thank you for your answer but i don't find it, can you post link please ? Thank you. ------Mathieu LawsFrench