Sign in to follow this  
Etai Charit

WX Radar thoughts - logic Q's

Is there going to be a WXR in the NGX? Just kidding guys. Now seriously: I'm curious about the problems in simulating the WXR. What makes it so hard/inaccurate/FPS carnivor? Not talking about integrating with another existing softwere, because it glides to business questions about the two companies relations. As someone who has no clue at all in programming, simulating, SDK's etc. Just honest questions that on my side are based on my logic and be glad to get the programmers angle and how it's inpractical in the NGX: 1. FSX's weather forecast maps: The FSX itself has its weather maps, that we can see, even edit, and from there it's translated to the visuals and dynamics that we see in an active flight. Area's humidity, cloud casting persentage, actual rain/snow, all these parameters can I guess easily be pulled from the FSX as parameters to be translated to WX display in the 737 Nav Display. Kind of like the TERR database, except variable by the weather given situation, plus the tilt and radar heading as I put it on the WXR panel. With this method, probobly each cloud won't be drawn correctly (maybe some random coverage based on the area weather parameters), but it would give a pretty good sense as pilots to plan and or change our route to avoid weather, in small weather cells. 2. FSX's cloud 3D object drawing in flight: The clouds are somehow drawn. The FSX weather engine probobly randomly decides the exact position, size and shape of each and every cloud. These specifications are, I guess, somehow being translated to actual 3D clouds to be drawn, as 3D objects in the display of the flight. Why can't these specifications be translated to WXR nav display drawing as well? With this method, each cloud is rightly positioned, but all of them would look the same, with same "charateristics" in the Nav Display, as they're originally just 3D objects without their actual weather effect. 3. Combined 1+2: Clouds as objects to be drawn in the exact same place (Nav Display can actually be as a 3D cloud coverage map of the sky), and their charateristics (humidity level and density) can be drawn in areal cells, just as translated from the FSX's weather map. Those were my thoughts. Just interested in getting some developers opinion, even just theoretically speaking, but mostly what's the practical problems that I'm unaware of. Leave for now developement time issues, let's say not for now. Just a piece of mind for future developement, or not.

There have been several threads on the subject, the short answer is PMDG will not do it. Try to search function and you'll turn up a lot of threads.Cheers

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

You've done it now, get ready to be pounced on by the weather radar issue ######'s

:P Timothy Murphy

I'm curious about the problems in simulating the WXR.
You are curious - I doubt it.If you were really curious you would dig out by now a dozen posts where it was all explained.

You know, there are a lot of things in FSX that are "just for show" - Personally, I think PMDG turning a blind eye to the WXR just because it won't yield (any) realistic results (in the slightest) is a cop-out, especially when we consider something as simple as the tiller can't be realistically replicated in FSX. (Using it doesn't stop the rudder from moving) In fact, weather all together is "for show" in FSX. It is impossible, completely, to threaten the safety of flight of your virtual aircraft using payware or default weather - no matter how many hurricanes, thunder cells, and tornadoes you try to program in your flight path. With so many fundamentally basic aspects of flight being "for show" in FSX, what's one more? (A WXR radar) That said, I should stress that my above comment was not an attack at the policy of PMDG. The team at PMDG rocks, for lack of a better phrase. Peace.gif That and I'm sure everyone will agree this topic has been beaten to death. It's probably been hit so many times the shock brought it back to life.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I have read the PMDG position on the subject before. It was mostly based on not being realistic.A modern transport category aircraft without a weather radar is incomplete and unrealistic.The weather model available in FSX and by add-on engines is suitable for a weather radar.There are a few examples for such system working well in FS9 and FSX. It takes better listening to customers to change the situation. Some of it is results from endless worship, and drawn mistaken supremacy conclusions.

I have read the PMDG position on the subject before. It was mostly based on not being realistic.A modern transport category aircraft without a weather radar is incomplete and unrealistic.The weather model available in FSX and by add-on engines is suitable for a weather radar.There are a few examples for such system working well in FS9 and FSX. It takes better listening to customers to change the situation. Some of it is results from endless worship, and drawn mistaken supremacy conclusions.
The addons that have wxr radar "quess" where there is rain by looking at clouds. As i said many times before there is no rain in fsx, It is a group of bitmaps that move around your plane and nothing more. Addons like ASA use metars to add rain they simulate it over an area. There is no way to find rain that dosent exsit.

The weather model available in FSX and by add-on engines is suitable for a weather radar.There are a few examples for such system working well in FS9 and FSX. It takes better listening to customers to change the situation. Some of it is results from endless worship, and drawn mistaken supremacy conclusions.
That's complete conjecture! Let me answer a few questions without even knowing you. Are you a developer? No Are you experienced and knowledgable in FSX weather? No Are you making conclusions based on no prior reputable foundations? Yes Sure, it may be a deal breaker for you because they are so important in flying, but PMDG can't simulate something that doesn't exist! Why do people feel so entitled on these forums? No one actually acts like this in their real life, right? sad.png

A weather radar detects precipitation. Most addons display the location of cloud, which is about as useful as looking out the windscreen. Cheers DZ

Ruben,just to help you out a little. I have been flying RW since 1963, 90 aircraft and rotorcraft types as PIC, chief experimental pilot among other things. I have flown an equal number of simulators since 63, and work as aerospace consultant to major manufacturers such as Aerospatiale, Litton, GE, IBM, Northrop and many others. MSFS since version 1 on Mac 1985. DZ,an airborne weather radar analyzes water droplet returns and determines based on cloud formations precipitation and turbulence. Its effective range is up to 200NM, a little further than out the window view, especially when flying in clouds.

Ruben,just to help you out a little. I have been flying RW since 1963, 90 aircraft and rotorcraft types as PIC, chief experimental pilot among other things. I have flown an equal number of simulators since 63, and work as aerospace consultant to major manufacturers such as Aerospatiale, Litton, GE, IBM, Northrop and many others. MSFS since version 1 on Mac 1985.
Opher, your credentials are excellent to say the least. Let me answer a few questions without even knowing you. Are you a developer? No Are you experienced and knowledgable in FSX weather? No Are you making conclusions based on no prior reputable foundations? Yes My answers are still the same. Relevancy, it's a funny thing ain't it?

Wow Etai - I guess you didn't see that coming ;)For the record, Iv'e been asking the same questions as you, but I rely on the fact, that if it was indeed possible to create anything remotely realistic in weather radars, PMDG and others would have done it... I own the Ifly 737NG (which by the way take the same position on wxradars as PMDG), and in my FS9 version, I've been able to put in the Reality XP wx radar gauge in the lower DU (by instructions from another Ifly pilot on their forum). I suspect something similar could be done with the PMDG. I guess that's your only chance of getting a wxradar in the PMDG... Mas

A WX avoidance system would drain 10 to 15 fps. Not a option within FSX.