Sign in to follow this  
KeithyGeorge

FPS drop when mouse cursor visible

Gents- Back in 2006, we identified this problem in FSX during it's late beta testing. The ACES team was supposed to fix the issue, but never did. This issue is NOT caused by specific addons. It is caused within the engine of FSX- and cannot be fixed... HOWEVER: There are certain things that adon developers do that can make this more or less prominent. If you have a complex VC, you are going to see this effect. Some adons show it significantly worse than others, and of course it will always be amplified if you are trying to run to much overhead within FSX. Those of you who are familiar with addons will probably note that the NGX displays significantly less of this behavior than other products available- a few of which become unusable. This is because we have ways of working around the core behavior that causes this drop- which is how we are able to do some of the things we do in our VCs. So- the long and short of it: This is a simism. It will become less and less noticable as you gain higher performance.

I get this with the Turbine Duke, with a 5fps drop. I don't yet have the NGX. I haven't tried it, but i'm fairly convinced it has something to do with anti-aliasing and high resolution textures.
Cristi- Has nothing to do with either. Has to do with the way FSX handles mouse positioning.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Cristi- Has nothing to do with either. Has to do with the way FSX handles mouse positioning.
Ok... I'm not fairly convinced anymore :( It seemed logical to me, but, then again, I've never built an addon for FS. Thanks for the clear-up.

Cristi Neagu

Gents- Back in 2006, we identified this problem in FSX during it's late beta testing. The ACES team was supposed to fix the issue, but never did. This issue is NOT caused by specific addons. It is caused within the engine of FSX- and cannot be fixed... HOWEVER: There are certain things that adon developers do that can make this more or less prominent. If you have a complex VC, you are going to see this effect. Some adons show it significantly worse than others, and of course it will always be amplified if you are trying to run to much overhead within FSX. Those of you who are familiar with addons will probably note that the NGX displays significantly less of this behavior than other products available- a few of which become unusable. This is because we have ways of working around the core behavior that causes this drop- which is how we are able to do some of the things we do in our VCs. So- the long and short of it: This is a simism. It will become less and less noticable as you gain higher performance. Cristi- Has nothing to do with either. Has to do with the way FSX handles mouse positioning.
Ok Captain, but can you please explain having overall LOW FPS compared to other PMDG and other high end addons. I have a good system but the FPS are not acceptable, I go down to 10 FPS in mid air in a clear weather and max 20 FPS ??? i7 930 4.0 480 OC GTX12 gigs DDR3 1600SSD hard for FSX.

The only way to fix it is that Microsoft gave the budget to PMDG to build a new Flight simulation. We would see a professional simulation indeed. That's the reason I am deeply under confident that MS Flight will be much more than a colored & funny arcade. We are lucky anyway PMDG exists, otherwise we would be still fiddling with Orbit airlines and this is the worst nightmare a simmer may face. Told that I am sure PMDG will try to reproduce the issue in order to mitigate it.

The only way to fix it is that Microsoft gave the budget to PMDG to build a new Flight simulation. We would see a professional simulation indeed. That's the reason I am deeply under confident that MS Flight will be much more than a colored & funny arcade. We are lucky anyway PMDG exists, otherwise we would still fiddling with Orbit airlines and this is the worst nightmare a simmer may face. Told that I am sure PMDG will try to reproduce the issue in order to mitigate it.
Like I said mate, we all know what PMDG did and capable of doing and we don't want to take anything away from them, but if you can barely fly the airplane with a decent machine then we got problem. I love PMDG so much that I really want to enjoy flying my NGX.

Thanks for that Robert.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I get a 20 - 25% perf hit with the mouse pointer onscreen. Performance is somewhere in between the 744 and the MD11. Not bad at all IMO

I lose also between 5-10 fps but it is not a problem for me as i have around 20-30 fps on ground with every slider to the right except Autogen on very Dense and with ASE on a second machine. (weather distance low and medium covered) With ifly these settings can put the 737 down to 15fps PMDG you have done a fantastic job .im Not Worthy.gif I7@950 4,2GhzHD5870 1GBRaptor 300GB FSXSSD Win 7 64 bit6GB 1600mhz Dominator

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Sorry but It is definitely NOT true that every extended Addon-aircraft causes an FPS-loss when the mouse is active in VC. The only ones I know until now are: iFly737 and since yesterday PMDG737NGX Worried.gif Other Addons like LevelD767, PMDG MD-11, QW 757 run always between 28-30fps and don't care about the mouse My System: Phenom II 955 @ 3,7 (stable & cool) & 4GB RAM @ WinXP64 I expect there are some functions in the addons that bare a misconception in the FSX-Core.But everyone has to judge for him/herself if that functions (causing indirectly FPS-loss) in the addon aren't then also another misconception. Maybe there is only a second quadcore necessary to get a smooth experience.Whew.gif (referring to http://forum.avsim.net/topic/341492-fps/)I'm very sad it's unusable for me (10-18fps)..and burned the money Worried.gifJust posted a ticket but don't expect a real solution because also iFly fights for months with this problem without solving it.

Sorry but It is definitely NOT true that every extended Addon-aircraft causes an FPS-loss when the mouse is active in VC.
It's definitely true. I get that FPS hit with ALL addon-on and default aircraft as well (for me it's only about 3-5 FPS, though). Try measuring it with a more stable frame rate counter. The FSX one is useless for that, because it jumps around too much and has a slow update rate.

Sorry but It is definitely NOT true that every extended Addon-aircraft causes an FPS-loss when the mouse is active in VC.
Keep in mind what was said above - the impact varies with addon complexity, computer performance, and types of addon scenery. Other addon developers have looked into this and come to the same conclusion - it is indeed an underlying flaw in FSX.

It's definitely true. I get that FPS hit with ALL addon-on and default aircraft as well (for me it's only about 3-5 FPS, though). Try measuring it with a more stable frame rate counter. The FSX one is useless for that, because it jumps around too much and has a slow update rate.
Ok..I think it's very dependent on the system....maybe my system has reserves on LevelD767 for example...so I don't lose a frame on mouseover and therefore don't have a difference in fps.. Concerning the measuring of fps:I'm using external FPS-Limiter....so the jumps are restricted.If the fps line would update event quicker I think my eyes wouldnt be able to follow. But with the average FPS output shows also clearly what is going on.It's at least currently fast enough to see within 0,5sec that the fps drops by 5-10fps (only in VC..all other views are constantly at 28-30fps.)If anyone wants evidence I can make records of the behaviour of aircrafts with and without the VC-FPS-issue. Maybe you could suggest a good FPS-Monitoring Tool?The external FPSLimiter I'm using is from MarkoLudolph...Can anyone suggest another?
Keep in mind what was said above - the impact varies with addon complexity, computer performance, and types of addon scenery. Other addon developers have looked into this and come to the same conclusion - it is indeed an underlying flaw in FSX.
Ok...I'm just a bit confused that all addon aircraft (dispite of ifly & pmdg737) run great on addon airports and rex2 environment without any fps-impact on VC when using mouse.Eventually it was also a bit emotional for me that after waiting a long time for this masterpiece which is finally not usable in my case..hope you understand that some frustration arises.I will calm down...and try do other things for a while..maybe I will try again with "sandy bridge E" at the end of the year.

This is an annoyance that is right....I remember someone from PMDG saying (Tabs or Randazzo) that they wouldn´t have this problem, that they worked the hell out of the code so far that there was no drop in FPS when the mouse cursor is on screen. Or maybe I dreamt it.

This is an annoyance that is right....I remember someone from PMDG saying (Tabs or Randazzo) that they wouldn´t have this problem, that they worked the hell out of the code so far that there was no drop in FPS when the mouse cursor is on screen. Or maybe I dreamt it.
Yeah I think I remember this too! :/