Sign in to follow this  
dazz

Throttle Quadrant 2D panel missing?

Why do you feel the need to "convert" 2D users to the wonders of 3D? What happened to choice? This kind of missionary zeal is rather like vegans trying to convert meat eaters, when meat eaters rarely try and convert vegans. I've never seen a post from a 2D user saying VC's should not exist, yet we often see VC enthusiasts saying "3D only" is the way forward.
There are many good reasons to stop eating meat, few good reasons to start eating meat - even though I love a good steak. Back to 2D panels: I guess less than a quarter of the users even open them or think about them at all. BTW: With the extreme well made r/t 3d-graphics, why don't you just use the fixed camera positions in the VC - if you are opposed to dynamic view changes?
To make the VC remotely usable you need to have a head tracking system like Track IR. The idea of turning my head one way then moving my eyes the other to see the panel makes me sick to think about it. I don't like the idea of having to wear a hat to use flight sim, Also I need varifocal glasses which means my best vision is in a very narrow angle straight ahead. My glasses will move with my head, meaning I'll be looking at the panel at a less than optimal angle. Perhaps you will suggest I should get laser surgery as well as Track IR so I can fly the 3D only PMDG T7.
You don't need a head tracking system if you just want to emulate the sensation of using the 2D panels.

BTW: With the extreme well made r/t 3d-graphics, why don't you just use the fixed camera positions in the VC - if you are opposed to dynamic view changes?
Because we have the choice to use the best view we feel comfortable with. We prefer to use 2D. You prefer 3D. Simple!Why do you prefer blue instead of red? Why do you prefer x religion instead of y? That's because are free to choose, Mike. Kevin wrote something interesting that I wasn't aware: 2d guys don't try to convert 3d guys, but 3d guys demean 2d guys, trying to convert us.But I'm ok with that, people have free will, no problem about them talk.

Not too fussed about a full 2d Cockpit but what I do want are undockable 2d panels that I can move to my second screen for easy monitoring by simply moving my eyes instead of my head as you have to do with trackIR. A lot of folks love trackIR and see it as the greatest thing since sliced bread but it is an unnatural way to move your point of view around the cockpit eg you move your head to the right and the display moves left - gives me eye-strain - looks great in videos though. I prefer EZCA with the most used views mapped to buttons on my joystick. But none of this beats moving undocked panels/gauges to a second monitor. Not sure that PMDG are going to move on the lack of a 2d throttle pedestal, they make great products but once they have made up their mind on something they are very hard to shift. Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

3 years plus is too much time ? Your plane, my money, any company that tries to force me to to use a VC when I prefer 2D, ESPECIALLY with multi monitors, won't be getting it. Pretty dumb decision.
Thank you! Couldn't have said it better.... I never have used the VC and never will. I fly with quite a bit of add-on hardware and now I guess I have to add a throttle quadrant since it's a pain-in-the-a** to access the VC just to adjust trim, start engines, etc. I think it's complete BS that after the 3,000 years PMDG has been working on this, they couldn't add the 2D throttle panel due to "animation" issues. This plane has animation all over it.... But other than that I like the plane alot..... no problems with installation, activation and decent frame rates. Phil

Since the poll was deleted, I'm kind of scared that PMDG will ignore our request. I hope at least they will reconsider the simple TQ 2d panel...

there is this poll in the other forum, maybe add to it?
That's not our poll. This one is about preference. Ours were about throttle quadrant.Don't get me wrong here, but would you mind to remove the link to avoid dispersion? There's no problem if you don't want to, ok? Thank you, Jay.

That's not our poll. This one is about preference. Ours were about throttle quadrant.Don't get me wrong here, but would you mind to remove the link to avoid dispersion? There's no problem if you don't want to, ok? Thank you, Jay.
I only posted it because the one here disappeared, didnt think it would hurt.

Jay

I only posted it because the one here disappeared, didnt think it would hurt.
It didn't hurt! That's why I asked to do not het me wrong.I just asked to remove the link to avoid dispersion, since that poll is completely different from ours wink.png .

Thanks Dazz i'll try it out in the morning
Sorry, I forgot this functions I found in google to format the numberIt should be added to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\linda\libs\lib-user.lua(copy-paste at the end of the file)
-- from sam_lie-- Compatible with Lua 5.0 and 5.1.-- Disclaimer : use at own risk especially for hedge fund reports :-)---============================================================-- add comma to separate thousands--function comma_value(amount)  local formatted = amount  while true do  	formatted, k = string.gsub(formatted, "^(-?%d+)(%d%d%d)", '%1,%2')	if (k==0) then  	break	end  end  return formattedend---============================================================-- rounds a number to the nearest decimal places--function round(val, decimal)  if (decimal) then	return math.floor( (val * 10^decimal) + 0.5) / (10^decimal)  else	return math.floor(val+0.5)  endend--===================================================================-- given a numeric value formats output with comma to separate thousands-- and rounded to given decimal places----function format_num(amount, decimal, prefix, neg_prefix)  local str_amount,  formatted, famount, remain  decimal = decimal or 2  -- default 2 decimal places  neg_prefix = neg_prefix or "-" -- default negative sign  famount = math.abs(round(amount,decimal))  famount = math.floor(famount)  remain = round(math.abs(amount) - famount, decimal)    	-- comma to separate the thousands  formatted = comma_value(famount)    	-- attach the decimal portion  if (decimal > 0) then	remain = string.sub(tostring(remain),3)	formatted = formatted .. "." .. remain ..            	string.rep("0", decimal - string.len(remain))  end    	-- attach prefix string e.g '$'  formatted = (prefix or "") .. formatted    	-- if value is negative then format accordingly  if (amount<0) then	if (neg_prefix=="()") then  	formatted = "("..formatted ..")"	else  	formatted = neg_prefix .. formatted	end  end  return formattedend

this is like the fs9 vs fsx thread all over again :)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Because we have the choice to use the best view we feel comfortable with. ...
Obviously - this discussion is about not having that choice any more or losing it. I still don't get what the huge difference is between a pre-rendered still image and realtime fixed view - of the same model the still image was rendered from. BTW: I love floppy disk, any hardware producer not respecting my life choice of using floppy's, will never get my money!

...Kevin wrote something interesting that I wasn't aware: 2d guys don't try to convert 3d guys, but 3d guys demean 2d guys, trying to convert us.But I'm ok with that, people have free will, no problem about them talk.
I am sorry but that is pure BS. Do you know of a single VC guy that has not spent most of their simming career flying in 2D? Its just like the FS9 guys describing FSX users as 'them' and completly forgetting that the vast majority of FSX users used to be FS9 users and have upgraded! 2D guys keep telling us what is 'wrong' with VC and why 2D is so much better forgetting that we know all there is to know about 2D, and have still chosen VC. Who is trying to demean who here?

this is like the fs9 vs fsx thread all over again :)
Yeah, I still remember those stubborn basterds that forced the developers to produce double-up add-ons for a while. Resulting in longer development times and more expensive add-ons. We could use a politburo in this community - to streamline things a little .)