Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

Anyone got any tips for single engine taxi?

Hi everyone, so whenever i've single engine taxied, i've always used the #2 engine. I use the apu to supply the left pack, and the rt engine to supply the rt. I always find myself using a ton of thrust to get the 73 moving and i'm pretty sure its canceling out any fuel efficiency gains i should be attaining. so what advice do you guys have? What's the max fuel i should have on board during a single engine taxi? Thanks,Mitch Bowman

I tried single engine taxi a couple days ago, also with the #2 engine and APU powering the rest.It took almost 40% N1 to get it going, and around 30% to keep it going while also constantly applying right rudder to keep the centerline. FSX doesn't have 100% accurate physics or flight models, and I'm pretty sure PMDG already commented that single engine taxi wasn't realistic in FSX due to it's limitations.

Most airlines would not want a single engine taxi ! It is better to have both engines started so that oil pressure, vibration levels etccan be monitored. No pilot would start an engine just before going on to the runway without it having beenrunning for a certain period of time.Using a single engine for taxi after landing is sometimes used but very little. Fred.

Most airlines would not want a single engine taxi ! It is better to have both engines started so that oil pressure, vibration levels etccan be monitored. No pilot would start an engine just before going on to the runway without it having beenrunning for a certain period of time.Using a single engine for taxi after landing is sometimes used but very little. Fred.
Really? All the Continental Pilots i've spoken with have said they use it a lot (mainly after landing)

Hi guys, Single taxi IN is advertised by the majority of airlines in europe. On the NG you don't need apu for bleed or power. One generator is able to power the plane and by opening the isol valve you will have pressure on both ducts. During taxi out it is not adviseable as you need the engine to stabelize and monitor al systems to operate normally. In real time you'll need aprox 30% of N1 on one engine to maintain speed. Not sure in the sim though!Good luck trying,Jeffrey

Not really, in the past 3 years at EIN we've really gotten into the whole single engine taxi thing, the more you do it, the more comfortable you get with the procedure, there are obviously seperate procedures that go with it though. In general, the engine will need a 5 min warm up period.Single engine taxi can save a very noticeable portion of fuel in some taxi-outs. Take JFK and it's infamous 40-45 min taxi out for example. I know people have said they only do it on the taxt in, but it's perfectly acceptable to do in on the way out too, just tell ATC that you'll be doing in and they'll almost always be fine with it. There are restrictions on it when LVP are in force but appart from that it's fine. If you think of it this way, single engine taxi out saves you fuel for later on down the route, single taxi in saves the company money in fuel costs. Personally, I just like saving fuel, between globsl warming and helping the company, there's no reason not to. Rónán.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I always use single engine taxi on the NGX unless it will be a very very short taxi. Every airline i have flown in the US also uses single engine taxi and I have flown a lot lol. My question is sometimes on single engine taxi usually after i have came to a stop (for traffic) and try to start moving again i need almost 60 to 70 n1 to get moving. When I first start moving after engine start the plane only requires about 30. Anybody know what I could be doing wrong?

All the taxi's near me have a single engine !!! LMAO.gif

Nearly all of the airlines in the US utilize single engine taxi to save fuel. Side note: On the Lear 25, you ALWAYS single engine taxi. Start the other engine when you recieve the takeoff clearence. The reason is that the engines burn more on the ground at idle than they do at cruise thrust at FL410. Very very thirsty engines.

Really now? ....all that extensive MSFS experience taught you that? lol...do you just make stuff up?

Really now? ....all that extensive MSFS experience taught you that? lol...do you just make stuff up?
Shocked.gifHypnotized.gifTalking Ear Off.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gifLMAO.gif

Here is an interesting and recent article on the steps airlines are using to trim fuel costs. "For example, low-cost airline IndiGo has advised its pilots to save 100 kg of ATF on each trip by following fuel-efficient flying procedures. "There is a list of procedures that can help reduce fuel burn. For instance, IndiGo pilots have been instructed to taxi the aircraft to the bay on landing on single engine. "Usually, it takes 5-10 minutes to reach the boarding gate and keeping one engine switched off helps reduce fuel burn. "The pilots have also been told to use thrust reverser on idle mode to decelerate the aircraft speed after landing," a source from the airline said." http://www.rediff.co...el/20110816.htm

Chris Hicks

- I have a tip for you and its free, which is all its worth anyway Dont do it. FSX does not properly simulate without changing its core code, and good developer wont touch it.

Peter Osborn

I tried single engine taxi a couple days ago, also with the #2 engine and APU powering the rest.It took almost 40% N1 to get it going, and around 30% to keep it going while also constantly applying right rudder to keep the centerline. FSX doesn't have 100% accurate physics or flight models, and I'm pretty sure PMDG already commented that single engine taxi wasn't realistic in FSX due to it's limitations.
I've never seen a 738 or 739 type of Boeing taxiing with a single engine running in real world. If you fly with an ATR, it's different.rolleyes.gif By the way, airlines have some written TAXI Fuel amounts for different Aerodromes. But in fact, the A/C doesn't spend that amount of planned Taxi Fuel or spend a bit more depending which taxiway and runway will be used for to be lined up. And, it's important that taxi time (planned also) and its pace make difference seriously for the A/C's takeoff fuel and as you know takeoff fuel can change the A/C's calculated MACTOW.

Hmm. Never had single engine here in Norway. And I've flewn lots. Only the last meters from taxiway to stand.