Hi Edward,I also was looking at a 3D monitor for FSX, something to replace my 6 year old Samsung 21" monitor. Until I saw this post I always thought that the scenery in FSX would benefit from 3D Vision as much as the VC would, and am as surprised as you are that this isn't the case.Some others here and in other forums outside of Avsim advised me to go for a monitor with 120 Hz, as even in 2D this will give less flicker than one running at 60 Hz. Note that you may have to disable v- sync to see this benefit, others here may be able to help you more than I can. So, all may not be lost on your new monitor.I spent several weeks looking at monitors, and quickly found that there are not many ( if any as this is written) that offer a resolution greater than 1080p, and have a effect rate of 120 Hz, that are 27" or greater in size. I wanted a 27" monitor, so settled for the 1080p resolution to get the 120 Hz. I took a looking to the Samsung S950 monitor, with a hope that I could use 3D vision as it has a DVI_D input ( as I have an NV card that also needs replacing soon) . I even found on the NV forums how to do this and fool the NV card to think I have an IR emitter connected to enable 3D, and use the Samsung glasses ( which work in reverse to the NV glasses). So, the IR emitter would be nothing but a dongle to enable 3D Vision, but the card can be fooled by a driver hack.The monitor has arrived, however since it is for a birthday present ( one of those ones ending in a "0" !! ), my decidedly " better half" asked me to wait for my birthday to use it, which I will. Once I do get to use it I will post back here and let you know what the 2D to 3D conversion looks like. You should be able to take your current monitor back, even if the vendor charges a restocking fee, as long as you still have the packaging.Thanks, Bruce.

Bruce,have a look in the monitor options for real-time 3D. Not all of their 3D tv/monitors have it.

@KA321; Are you running FSX in full screen mode ? (as 3D won't work in windowed mode).I was also thinking of buying the same monitor. I too have read about the depth you get with the 3D glasses in FSX. So I strongly believe there must be something wrong with the setting.Vinod.

Dear Vinodkk and all,Thx for your posts.Yes, FSX is running in full screen mode. VC pit in 3D is stunning, however, stuff outside the windscreen are all flat, same in external view. I am no expert in computer and therefore really dont know how come VC pit could display in 3D but not external objects. If anyone has a clue, kindly pls let me know. Regards,Edward

I have the same monitor, i'll check if I am experiencing the same thing. I know that you can set the 3d depth in the control panel, have you tried moving that. Those 3d tvs are nice but I am afraid that they may not refresh fast enough for fsx, a big Mitsubishi DLP on the other hand might do the trick...

120Hz? Compared to a 60Hz monitor?

Hi Edward, I don't own the Acer HN27H right now (it's ordered, but will be delivered in two weeks), but on my Samsung Syncmaster 2233 I can see cockpit view as well as external view in 3D. The effect in the cockpit is much stronger than in the outside view so that you might not notice it, but you can modify the strongness of the effect by changing the convergence value. To change the values you will have to activate the advanced keybord shortcuts in your NVidia control panel in the stereo section.You must assign one key for increasing the convergence and one for decreasing. When you are outside of your plane just increase the convergence value by holding the appropriate key down until you see a definite reaction. It may last some seconds, because the best effects are reached by using very high values. Some times ago I created a stereo video with extreme convergence values, which you can see at http://www.vimeo.com/10067591 if you have a pair of red/cyan glasses. Hope that I could help Regards, Andreas

Dear All, I bought Acer HN27H today. Virtual cockpit is in 3D but external views are not.Anyone can help me? Thx. Edward
I'm using 3D Vision with FSX only and also the outside scenery is in 3DThe only problem in FSX you have to encounter is night lighting and runway/papi lights. These are off set so daytime flying is awesome but night flying a no go.. When you get used to it in combination with TrackIR, flying without 3D Vision is a show stopper....

I confirmed that the outside looks 3d to me, kind of subtle, but maybe it's because the objects are so far away. I am having a problem locating click spots on the VC, they seem to be slightly shifted from their regular locations. Also My Saitek radio panel has become nearly useless as the shutter glasses make it look like the numbers are pulsating.

Thx all. I tried this afternoon again. Changing the view of depth, convergence....but no joy.Anyway, i should wait for the release of Samsung. The decision was made a bit too early. Regards,Edward

Thx all. I tried this afternoon again. Changing the view of depth, convergence....but no joy.Anyway, i should wait for the release of Samsung. The decision was made a bit too early. Regards,Edward
I don't think so, If you have a 27" 120Hz 3D Vision compatibel monitor you must have awesome 3D flying in FSX.Did you run the 3D Vision check on your computer? I have to say it again, I have a LG 24" 120Hz with 3D Vision and it is perfect 3D also the outside world.... Believe me, I'm a real life pilot and now I also have the speed experience, due to 3D.and can't imagine FSX flying without it. After installing the driver AND doing the 3D setup, you can watch 3D examples in the Nvidia link but be aware for night light textures, they are outlined in FSX and the only showstopper.

Sorry to kind of butt in here but we just got a Sony 3D TV. Didn't get any glasses with it but I am so looking forward to trying it with some. We borrowed some Samsung ones from a friend, don't work. I think there is a new gen 3D coming next year and apparently, if you already got a 120Hz TV, it should be available to anyone. I hope so cos shutter lens technology is annoying!