Sign in to follow this  
mark22

REX - Do I really need it?

I know from reading past forums virtually everyone raves about how good REX is, but I am still debating if I really do need it. I have already got installed Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced and Ultimate Night Environment 2010 for the water and night textures plus the freeware HD environment for the sky and clouds, so I am wondering if having REX instead will greatly make a lot of difference? I must admit I am tempted by purchasing REX although it is still a little pricey at the moment, I was hoping that it was on offer on Simmarket like the X Plane version then I think I would have bought it, but at the moment I just cannot make my mind up...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

You have already enhanced your FS9 environment with some good add-ons but I think you will find that REX gives you more "bang for your buck" than anything else. I feel like it totally transformed my FS9 experience and I already had a number of other environment "upgrade" programs. After having it for about a year I still find myself regularly going "Oh wow!" at some of the effects it produces... One other thing I highly recommend is getting the registered version of FSUIPC. That will also make you go "Oh wow!" at the improvement to how FS9 renders weather conditions. I wish I had bought it years ago...

Thanks for the quick reply. So would you say then that it is best to have both REX and the registered version of FSUIPC installed or is it just one or the other?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

You have already enhanced your FS9 environment with some good add-ons but I think you will find that REX gives you more "bang for your buck" than anything else. I feel like it totally transformed my FS9 experience and I already had a number of other environment "upgrade" programs. After having it for about a year I still find myself regularly going "Oh wow!" at some of the effects it produces... One other thing I highly recommend is getting the registered version of FSUIPC. That will also make you go "Oh wow!" at the improvement to how FS9 renders weather conditions. I wish I had bought it years ago...
would you mind sharing some fsuipc settings?

would you mind sharing some fsuipc settings?
I have the feeling that there are a lot of people on here who are far more sophisticated with FSUIPC than I am. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. But the weather settings are what blew my mind when I saw the difference it made. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the potential of FSUIPC will see this thread and answer your question. I feel like the settings I've tinkered with are all pretty basic and I'm sure there are others who know a lot more about it than I do... Mostly I've just checked the recommended boxes and then marvelled at the result. :)

I would say without question that REX is worth it. I recommend trying the Zinertek water reflections with the REX water textures, as the former is a bit monochromatic.

John G.

I would say without question that REX is worth it. I recommend trying the Zinertek water reflections with the REX water textures, as the former is a bit monochromatic.
Interesting point. I have Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced and highly rate their wave effect. However, some times the water around the UK (especially the murky North Sea) can often look a bit "tropical". If I was to use REX (which I am also considering purchasing), could I experiment with / modify the water colours and maintain Zinertek's wave effect ? Many thanks

I use a combination of REX's inland water texture tiles in conjuction with Zinertek's water. In other words after I installed REX I copied out all the inland water textures and put them back in after I installed Zintertek's water. I did the same thing with the Caribbean coral textures. The combination of REX's inland water and Coral textures with Zinertek's overall set is really great (don't change any Zinertek effects). There were big blocks of light water texture in the Caribbean as well that I replaced with standard sea textures from Zinertek that worked out well. Don't ask what I did because this was well over a year ago. If you play around with a few things it's well worth it to have the best of both worlds in the water department...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

HiI've just noticed on their website that REX also includes ground water textures.Could someone please confirm whether or not these work with 3rd part addon scenery or just default scenery ? If they do, are there any issues with the water effects that Aerosoft's AES produces when it's raining ?Many thanks

Hi I've just noticed on their website that REX also includes ground water textures. Could someone please confirm whether or not these work with 3rd part addon scenery or just default scenery ? If they do, are there any issues with the water effects that Aerosoft's AES produces when it's raining ? Many thanks
Basically what REX does is almost entirely replace all of your default FS "environment" textures. Clouds, sky colors, sun, sunsets, rivers, ocean and so on. They will also replace stock runway, tarmac and taxiway textures and probably lots of other goodies I can't remember. And you have numerous alternative sets for different conditions - tropical, arctic, bad weather, nice weather etc. And then if you don't like those sets, you can customize your own versions for sea and sky etc. To answer your question about AES, it will not effect the wet runway textures at your addon airports with AES support. If it's a stock texture - it will replace it with a better one. If it's an addon with its own texture set for runways, taxiways etc, including the AES wet runway ones, it will not effect it. Honestly I cannot think of a downside to buying this addon, nor have I heard anyone else mention any negatives. It truly will very significantly enhance the sim in many ways and you will never run out of options to try new looks - they are virtually limitless As "gushy" as this may sound, it really does remake FS9 into something almost brand new and vastly better.

Good response to this topic that I originally posted, interesting to hear what people think before making any purchases. Garydpoole made a good point regarding the colours of the sea in the UK as in reality the majority of it is a murky grey colour, but if it REX can produce those results and by keeping Zinertek's effects then maybe its worth considering. It does amuse me though how much people like me spend more time trying to modify their flight sim than actually playing it!LOL.gif

Good response to this topic that I originally posted, interesting to hear what people think before making any purchases. Garydpoole made a good point regarding the colours of the sea in the UK as in reality the majority of it is a murky grey colour, but if it REX can produce those results and by keeping Zinertek's effects then maybe its worth considering. It does amuse me though how much people like me spend more time trying to modify their flight sim than actually playing it!LOL.gif
It may be a "guy thing" like a teenage boy tinkering with a hot rod... LOL REX can produce the results you want - you can make sea textures any color you want and it's all done in a rather clever way.

Sold! I will get my bank card out and go for it! I think the overall verdict is that REX is the 'must have' add-on programme and it appears that it is in a league of it's own. Just hope that I won't be disappointed after all the hype! I can't see that I will be, looking forward to giving it a go!

I know from reading past forums virtually everyone raves about how good REX is, but I am still debating if I really do need it. I have already got installed Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced and Ultimate Night Environment 2010 for the water and night textures plus the freeware HD environment for the sky and clouds, so I am wondering if having REX instead will greatly make a lot of difference? I must admit I am tempted by purchasing REX although it is still a little pricey at the moment, I was hoping that it was on offer on Simmarket like the X Plane version then I think I would have bought it, but at the moment I just cannot make my mind up...
If REX does for FS9 what it does for FSX, it's worth every penny. I was skeptical and finally broke down and got the FSX version and it blew me away. Now I'm faced with getting it for FS9 because I do more than half my flying there. Aw well, it's only money... DJ