Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

harpsi

Placing of the fans - does it matter?

Hi For overclocking in order to haver the best performance, temperatures, and so on, does it matter how you place the fans? If yes, should I place them like image number 1 or number 2? harpsi

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi For overclocking in order to haver the best performance, temperatures, and so on, does it matter how you place the fans? If yes, should I place them like image number 1 or number 2? harpsi
The cooling fans normally have a marking on them that tell you the way air flows out of or into them.The idea is to have the front fans drawing in the cooling ambient air over your hardware, namely the CPU, and then take that warmed-up air out at the rear,in other words, exhaust it.

I tried a couple of different placements. At first I thought I wanted both fans blowing out of the case even though Corsair says have them blowing in. I tried it both ways and it is actually a couple of degrees cooler to have the fans blowing into the case. That way the radiator is getting cool outside air rather than warm inside case air. I have a large 200mm exhaust fan on the top of my Antec 900. That makes a huge difference in getting the hot air out of the case.

The cooling fans normally have a marking on them that tell you the way air flows out of or into them.The idea is to have the front fans drawing in the cooling ambient air over your hardware, namely the CPU, and then take that warmed-up air out at the rear,in other words, exhaust it.
So, image number 1 or number 2? harpsi
I tried a couple of different placements. At first I thought I wanted both fans blowing out of the case even though Corsair says have them blowing in. I tried it both ways and it is actually a couple of degrees cooler to have the fans blowing into the case. That way the radiator is getting cool outside air rather than warm inside case air. I have a large 200mm exhaust fan on the top of my Antec 900. That makes a huge difference in getting the hot air out of the case.
So, you prefer image number 1... I have a fan in the upper side of the case which is Corsair Graphite 600T Black, and I thought the same. The air comes from this one and goes out via de other 2... It makes sense? harpsi

I have mine blowing in and the case temps are probably still cooler cos it is blowing in over the radiator. There is still a 230mm for exhaust so ot may be different for you.

I have mine blowing in and the case temps are probably still cooler cos it is blowing in over the radiator. There is still a 230mm for exhaust so ot may be different for you.
Which image? LOL harpsi

I think it would be image 1 but as someone said above, there should be a little arrow on the fan to show which way the air will be blowing.

I think it would be image 1 but as someone said above, there should be a little arrow on the fan to show which way the air will be blowing.
But in one side of the fan you have the Corsair Symbol. harpsi

In my case (H60) the logo is facing in, the rear fan (connected to the H60) is sucking cool air in, and the upper case fan blows the hot air out.

lol

oh yes, my mistake, #2.

Does not have to go out. When you got a 230 at the top to get rid of it all, you fine.
It is still going out isn't it ? hahaha

I good strategy is to have match in and out, i.e., have the same CFM blowing in at whatever you are trying to cool, plus an equivalent amount of fan cfm pulling air out of the case. This keeps pressure equal and makes the process more efficient. Noel EDIT: oops, been said already ;o)

A long time ago I decided to put a thru-the-wall air conditioner, a lil 8K BTU one, right behind my PC tower, in part for room cooling in summer, and in part as an experiment for PC cooling. I then created a ducting system w/ 4" metal flex hose that directs cooled air, when needed, directly over the CPU HSF, mainboard, GPU and DIMMS w/ the rear case cover off. Most of the time I only operate the A/C without a/c on now, i.e., I just have outside air coming in which is all I need for o'clocks up to 3.8 or so Ghz. When I was o'clocking to 4.2Ghz, I ran the A/C on (not just fan only) which kept core temps down to around 54C at peak load. Since I can get 3.8Ghz now w/ only 1.325v to the CPU, I don't need to run the A/C unit w/ cooling on--I just use air alone. I didn't see enough improvement at 4.2Ghz to warrant exposing my CPU to the kinds of voltage it took to run stable at, around 1.45v, even though as I say temps were still quite good. I killed a pricey QX9650 doing that!