Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

"NAV DATA OUT OF DATE"

Am I the only one thinking.... "Oh for Pete's sake". It's okay, really, somebody go ahead and bash him! (LMAO). LOL.gif

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

That, and the fact that Navigraph data very often is inaccurate or incomplete, especially when it comes to altitude and speed restraints on arrivals / departures.
I never claimed that Navigraph data was perfect. However, I learned long ago to double-check all routes entered in a FMC in any Flight Sim addon. Navigraph is better than any other navdata source I have seen.

If you are a person who likes to fly the RNAV RNP type of approaches then it is necessary to update the NAVDATA cycle. Airports are still getting approved for these type of approaches. On the other hand some routes/waypoints never change so there is no need to update the NAVDATA cycle if this is what you fly. I have flight plans that have not changed in three years. Additionally, if you use FSBUILD to build flight plans you will need to update the NAVDATA cycle so that FSBUILD matches the NGX. If you do not do this there can be a mismatch between the aircraft NAVDATA cycle having SIDS and STARS that FSBUILD does not have or it can be the other way around.

Whats the point in updating the nav data, for Scenery that is 8 years out of date ? While you can update some of the scenery (new runways etc), there is no universal Monthly cycle update for Scenery, to keep it up to date, so what is the point of changing the Nav data to missmatch your current scenery. The whole update process is FS is, and always has been a "mess". The only option to ensure that "everything" matches, is to SIMULATE flying in the year 1994, use the default scenery, and the nav data from 1994, and 1994 Charts.( available on CD). Hopefiully the next generation of Flight Sims will address this.

The nav data is very rarely related to scenery so a mismatch is even more rare. And when there's a mismatch you can bet that somebody will release an updated AFCAD really quickly

I can't recall when I have had a issue, before I fly, part of my planning procedure is to see if all my info is current, if not a Google search fixes any problem in about two minutes Max....

Whats the point in updating the nav data, for Scenery that is 8 years out of date ? The only option to ensure that "everything" matches, is to SIMULATE flying in the year 1994, use the default scenery, and the nav data from 1994, and 1994 Charts.( available on CD). Hopefiully the next generation of Flight Sims will address this.
Then get rid of that glass panel with GPS-based navigation.... seriously, nonething wrong with simulating 1994 if that's your desire. Most of use like to simulate current practices and procedures. As far as the airplane is concerned, the only scenery (e.g., stuff you see) that changes is the airport ramp, taxiways and runways. The terminal areas are pretty easy to update if someone provides a product (free or payware), and the rest of the navigation data is strictly an abstraction such as fixes and routes. The only real gap in the MS product are the enroute navaids. If MS had created separate data-stores for stuff that changes (like VORs or fixes) from stuff that doesn't change much (like mountains and terrain) then updates would be a lot easier. I think a much more relevant discussion is on getting from today's navdata and sidstar limitations to something resembling state of art ARINC 424 navigation data.

Dan Downs KCRP

. The only real gap in the MS product are the enroute navaids. If MS had created separate data-stores for stuff that changes (like VORs or fixes) from stuff that doesn't change much (like mountains and terrain) then updates would be a lot easier. I think a much more relevant discussion is on getting from today's navdata and sidstar limitations to something resembling state of art ARINC 424 navigation data.
EXACTLY -- Do the X-Plane guys do it any better Praying.gif Not holding my breath for MS-FLIGHT Nail Biting.gif

I believe the bottom line here is that we all use FSX and the NGX in a way that each of us like. No one is either wrong or right.

Why does everyone make this so complicated? It's sooooo Easy unless you are extremely Lazy!!! Anytime you have a problem with an Airport being out of date go get the newest AFCAD you can find from AVSIM. Download it and install it. Very easy to do. While the install instructions usually tell you to put this stuff in the addons folder I do it a little differently now so that I can priortize and layer my airports and other addons in the Scenery Library which is the best approach. Example: Create an Airports Folder. Then if you need to update KPHL for example. Make a Folder called KPHL inside the Airports Folder. After making KPHL you will need to make another Folder called Scenery inside the KPHL folder and then put the AFCAD in there. (If the Scenery comes with some Textures you will also need a Texture Folder in KPHL) Then go into FSX and with the Scenery Library add the Folder KPHL and your done. Repeat the above steps for other Airports as needed. You don't have to do this all at one time for every airport, that would be nuts. Just add them as you go along and require them. Your living on Fantasy Island (Boss!!! The Plane! The Plane!) if you think Microsoft Flight or Xplane developers are going to update each AFCAD for every airport around the world on a monthy basis. Aint gonna happen! (This would be too time consuming for them) The FS community will continue to make custom AFCADs as needed like they do now and we will either get those or buy payware sceneries, and the AIRAC Files from Navigraph. Priority and Layering Information here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/67367-activatingde-activating-scenery/page__hl__managing