Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

For the 2D lovers, notice anything different? :-)

Hi MitchApologies for the delay in replying but I don’t seem to be getting any notices of new posts for some reason, but to answer your question, I do have the 763 for FSX and did some time ago do a modification for my own use with the AoG WXR gauge which was to have the WXR gauge display on top of the EICAS gauge on the 2D Panel using a toggle switch on the panel, as for the VC if memory servers me I could either replace the EICAS and have a pop-up EICAS, or keep the EICAS and have a pop-up WXR, either way I did not try it out with either the CS unit (as I didn’t have it then) or the RXP unit (as I only have that for FS9), but I could have another look at it though if you like, as it has been a while since I used the 763, especially with the 737 being available now, so let me know if you want me to have a play around and I will see what I can come up with, but I think that for this we would probably be better off using the PM system as I don’t really think it would be appropriate to use the PMDG forum for this one.By the way I did try the modified AoG gauge that was an overlay to the ND and in FS9 it did work, but FSX was a no go as far as I was concerned as it just crashed every time so I stopped trying and reverted to the pop-up version, but I may have another look at that one as I have had a few ideas since then.Jim Hodkinson

HiIf anybody does want to add the CS WXR gauge to the VC of the 737NGX, well it's perfectly possible to do and the amendments needed to the panel.cfg file are below, you may notice that I have not actually removed the lower DU from the VC, the reason being that on complex aircraft like the PMDG offerings you never know what gauges are dependent on other gauges being present so it's just safer to reduce the size of the lower DU gauge to 1 pixel X 1 pixel and leave it in the panel, although the pop-up version of the DU is still available using the hot spot where the gauge was originally.I have also added a pop-up window for the CS gauge, as you will need it to alter any of the setting on the WXR gauge as the VC version will not allow you to use the CS controls of the unit, possibly again because of the complex lighting gauges that are spread about the cockpit blocking the CS controls by overlaying those gauges on top of the CS unit, I really don’t know on that one it's just my best guess, but using the pop-up version is not to much of a problem as you could always assign o key or button to open the 2D WXR window when needed.Well that’s about enough waffle so on with the show, the installation instructions.First and foremost PLEASE make a backup of your existing panel.cfg file and save it to a safe location, just in case things go pear shaped.With that out of the way here we go..Using notepad or similar open the PMDG 737-800NGX panel.cfg file and add to the [Window Titles] section the following entry..Window21=CS Weather RadarThen you will need to actually add the pop-up CSWXR window and gauge by adding window21 to the panel.cfg file as follows..//--------------------------------------------------------[Window21]Background_color=1,1,1size_mm=445,386window_size_ratio=1.000position=2visible=0ident=11223window_size= 0.290, 0.323window_pos= 0.650, 0.020zorder=8gauge00=WXR!wr_display, 81,38,288,272gauge01=Captain_Sim.r001.P04!P04_radar, 1,1,443,384gauge02=PMDG_WXR_Toggle!WXR_Toggle, 92,60,254,230//--------------------------------------------------------Now you need to add the entry for the VC gauge so you will need to alter the [VCockpit04] section as below..[VCockpit04]size_mm=1024,1024pixel_size=1024,1024texture=$GaugeFourbackground_color=0,0,0gauge00=PMDG_737NGX!DU_VC, 46,41,418,418,2 UPPER #23 VCgauge01=PMDG_737NGX!DU_VC, 560,1,418,1,2 LOWER #24 VCgauge02=PMDG_737NGX!CDU_Screen, 0,741,333,282,L #3 VCgauge03=PMDG_737NGX!CDU_Screen, 334,741,333,282,R #4 VCgauge04=PMDG_737NGX!VCAnnunciations_3, 0,501,1024,96,VCgauge05=PMDG_737NGX!VCAnnunciations_5, 668,741,356,283,VCgauge06=PMDG_737NGX!VCAnnunciations_7, 0,597,1024,145,VCgauge07=Captain_Sim.r001.P04!P04_radar, 560,mega_shok.gif,418,294,VCgauge08=WXR!wr_display, 629,110,280,195,VCAnd that should be it, you should be good to go.I hope it's of some use, and although I am by far no panel guru, I just do these for my own use really, but if you should have a problem then just let me know and I will try and help if I can.Take care, and have fun.Jim Hodkinson
Is there a way you could make the NGX weather radar controls (some of them) operate the CS weather radar (or move or map the CS WXR controls to the NGX WXR Panel) and make the CS WXR display a little larger?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi DaveUnfortunately at present there is no way to add any form of control gauge to almost any part of the VC as all the mapped surfaces in it are more or less completely covered by PMDG's own gauges and adding any other gauges just results in the added gauge being placed below the PMDG ones resulting in (a) you wont see it and (:( more importantly you wont be able to click on any controls that it has in it, after the SDK is released who knows but the SDK will probably be beyond my extremely limited gauge knowledge.As for making the display larger, then yes you could make it slightly larger but it would only be able to be very slight change to the vertical size as it would start to deform the arc of the gauge as there is not a lot of adjustment for any horizontal resizing, but yes it can be changed if you don’t mind the display being more of an ellipse than an arc, so if you want me to send you the panel.cfg entry for a resized version then just let me know.Sorry that it's not better news, but if I do find a way to do what you are after then I will certainly let you know.Jim Hodkinson

Then you will need to actually add the pop-up CSWXR window and gauge by adding window21 to the panel.cfg file as follows..//--------------------------------------------------------[Window21]Background_color=1,1,1size_mm=445,386window_size_ratio=1.000position=2visible=0ident=11223window_size= 0.290, 0.323window_pos= 0.650, 0.020zorder=8gauge00=WXR!wr_display, 81,38,288,272gauge01=Captain_Sim.r001.P04!P04_radar, 1,1,443,384gauge02=PMDG_WXR_Toggle!WXR_Toggle, 92,60,254,230//--------------------------------------------------------Jim Hodkinson
Hi Jim.I cannot open my panel.cfg file. It won't give me option to open it with Notepad. I went to - Go to FSXSimObjectsAirplanesPMDG_B738WLpanelpanel.cfg, and there is only one file in there. I cannot open it. Any suggestions buddy?Thanks.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Hi EdIt sounds as though you have a permissions issue, I think that you can copy the panel.cfg file to your desktop and then alter the entries once it is there, then just copy and paste it back into it original location, now I say I think as I have FSX install outside of the Program files directories, in fact it is on a drive dedicated to just FSX, it does not even get scanned by my anti-virus software, so I do not have this issue and am just going of what I heard of as a possible workaround.If the above does not work, will have a look around for a way to enable you to change the contents of the file and let you know.I hope it helps.Jim Hodkinson

Well. I think I screwed up something. Now I see the panel.cfg file changed it's view- it shown notepad icon on it but I still cannot open it. I pasted it on my desktop and still the same thing. May be my little brain was unable to figure out how to open it, may be something else.When I was trying to open it (after all other attempts), I went to file properties and in General I hit Change and tried to open it with notepad. I changed icon but that was about it. Now I do not know how to change it back All I was able to see is -[fltsim]alias=PMDG 737-800NGXpanel.Any way, no luck so far. How can change my permission issues? I have administrator rights. Thanks Jim.

Edited by speedbird144

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Jim.I was trying to change permition in security and it might have helped, not sure. I can now open 737-800 panel.cfg only and I still cannot open all other variants like 800WL, 900, 900WL. Is it enough to make changes in 800 only and it will effect the rest of the fleet, or I still have change it in all variants? Thanks.

Hi.I have installed WX radar and I have few issues. I do not know how to power it up and how to use it. Also on PFD there are two TCAS RA bars and they won't go away at all. It wasn't like that before WX radar installation. Also I saw some pics and radar fits the whole display, mine shown very small. Is it just CS radar?Thanks.

Edited by speedbird144

I tried modding the reality xp radar into the NGX, and it was nothing but trouble.Had to reinstall and redo all my settings, button configs, setup files...Even when I had it in the VC, I lost around 7-10 FPS because of it.All of that trouble, it's just not worth it, especially for a weather radar that isn't 100% accurate anyway.My advice to those that don't absolutely have to have this, stay away and save yourself the headache.

I used Captain Sim's on my 737s and i control it with the 2D popup. Looks great and i never used the lower DU for anything anyway, now it's useful :(wxr.jpg

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Very nice. I am going to put my rxp wx radar into service. Now I can request route offset from ATC and it sounds more realistic and professional right? :(

Edited by davidchen9568

Yep, now you have an excuse to use the offset functionality :(

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Hi JimThe only panel.cfg file that you need to change is the one in the 800NGX folder, all the other aircraft variants call this folder for the panel, now if you are using a standard installation of the PMDGNGX without any other panel or gauge add-ons then I could if you are still having an issue changing the panel.cfg file send you an already modified panel.cfg file if you wish me to, just let me know and I will get right onto it, it's really not a problem to do as I would rather you asked for assistance than get in a mess due to getting the panel.cfg file entries wrong.Let me know how you want to go on from here.Jim Hodkinson