Sign in to follow this  
craig89

Overclockers..

Loving the NGX with my new i5 2500k chip but still using it at the stock 3.3Ghz - what cooler would everyone recommend for overclocking it? :) Tah in advance.

Loving the NGX with my new i5 2500k chip but still using it at the stock 3.3Ghz - what cooler would everyone recommend for overclocking it? :) Tah in advance.
Noctua NH-D14 if you want to push it on the aircooling side or get a watercooling system ... Corsair Hydro Series H100 eg for beginners, but wont perform much better than the Noctuabetter are the 'real' watercooling systems but you dont need them if you are ok with 4.2-4.6 ghz, but if you want to go over 5ghz I would recommend a good wc system

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

Ah thanks I looked that one up doesn't say it works with the 1155 socket type but found these two: http://www.ebuyer.com/245376-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-socket-775-1156-1155-am2-1366-am3-processor-rr-b10-212p-gp and http://www.ebuyer.com/147097-noctua-nh-u12p-se2-intel-lga1366-lga1156-lga1155-lga775-and-amd-am2-am2-nh-u12p-se2Evidently one is half the price of the other but would either of them or both be suitable for overclocking just say to go from the stock 3.3 to 4.3 for example? I think that extra little bit would increase performance just even a tiny amount?

Pretty much any cooler that fits 1156 will fit 1155.

Noctua NH-D14 if you want to push it on the aircooling side or get a watercooling system ... Corsair Hydro Series H100 eg for beginners, but wont perform much better than the Noctuabetter are the 'real' watercooling systems but you dont need them if you are ok with 4.2-4.6 ghz, but if you want to go over 5ghz I would recommend a good wc system
+1

Noctua NH-D14 all the way. Best air cooling solution available. Period.

The NH-D14 is a very good cooler, but it is enormous! Unless you already have a huge case and are committed to air cooling for other reasons, I would suggest looking at the Antec Kuhler H20 or the Corsair Hydro H60. One of the nicer things about the i5 2500k chip is that it is not nearly as hot as the chips it replaces, even when clocked.

I've overclocked to 4.3Ghz on air with the Arctic Cooler Extreeme V2.I could probably get higher than this but I'm happy as it is.It is a big fan but will fit in the Antec 300 case

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Also, if you go with the NH-D14, make sure your memory will fit under it. The Noctua website has a compatibility list and a drawing that should help.

I have an NHD-14, it's an awesome cooler. The Corsair H100 is close in terms of cooling but horrendously noisy at max rpm. Anything less in terms of rpm and the H100 doesn't cool as well as the D14. The D14 is very quiet. As Paul said, it is big though, but fits in my Lian Li P50 mid size case a treat. Interestingly, Noctua have three more coolers in development, that have 20% more surface area than the D14, so expect even better cooling on the way from Noctua. In terms of memory compatability, you can slide the rear fan up a tad to accomodate your ram if it has big heat sinks. Noctua build quality is also excellent. However... Do consider the Thermalright Silver Arrow, it beats the D14 by a few degrees, and has a very good retention mechanism.

I would go for this! (Since I have this)http://www.antec.com...id=NzA0MzcwJjE3 Read the reviews from "Hardware secrets" and the other ones. / Leffe
+1 This is the one I have right now too... VERY good performance very silent in "silent and custom modes"...CPU temp goes about -10°C in "Extreme mode".But Extreme mode is very loud so U better be sure to cover the extra noise with some GOOD CFM56 if U know what I mean.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Craig, why are you considering the hotter and noisier, hence less efficient H60? Have you checked to see if the D14 or Silver arrow will fit in your case?

Also, if you go with the NH-D14, make sure your memory will fit under it. The Noctua website has a compatibility list and a drawing that should help.
But, also keep in mind that you can rotate the mount so that the cooler doesn't hang over your ram slots, should there not be enough clearance between the dimms and the cooler. Even with a small case, this is not difficult. My motto when it comes to FSX: Compromise elsewhere.