Sign in to follow this  
Niall Hanley

Story of My Aerlingus Flight

This story just made it to a company circular mail. Congratulations! It is very well written, yet now every blasted pilot in the company knows about that landing.... Oh joy of joys.... Waiting.gif
It seems you have to invite Niall for a new and longer flight, although this time with a good landing :(

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

This story just made it to a company circular mail. Congratulations! It is very well written, yet now every blasted pilot in the company knows about that landing.... Oh joy of joys.... Waiting.gif
No suprize there :) .. the way its written is something to be admired.If the OP doesnt make it as a pilot, plan B, become a writer :)

It seems you have to invite Niall for a new and longer flight, although this time with a good landing tongue.png
Im sure he be happy with thatWhistle.gif . it is a great story anyway.

Hi RónánTo sum up my thoughts :- your offer was very generous, just like your participation in this forum- the article was a good read I am sure Niall learned a lot during the flight ...and maybe also after publishing it without showing it to you first...- one side benefit : maybe some of the would-be heroes, day dreamers and other BS....ers that seem to populate each FS forum (you know the "with my FS training, I could land this thing in an emergency" guys) will understand that if even a talented and well trained captain can make a less than perfect landing from time to time (and EVERY airline pilot I know will confirm this), then a first time amateur would probably destroy the plane and kill everyone onboard and they'd better think twice before making their claims. If the famous "everybody is sick and I must land the plane alone" scenario happens : go for an autoland if you have any sense at all.Rgds,Bruno

Thanks you very much for a good reading, and very well written! ;-) And Rónán, who hasent had a t/d that was abit hard, hehe. I have slammed a piper cadet, during early fight School training, so hard that I thought the wheel broke off. ;-) And a guy from my class took some of the runway edge lights, during crosswind landing hehe. This happens, and We are only human. ;-)

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

Haha, I've gotten 8 emails about this story so far, even one from the CPDoh.gif ,but she was just poking fun...wink.png I knew this would happen, and although I know that ya sent a copy of the story to the PR department before you published it, I'd still have appreciated it if I had more time to work out my story... But as said above, everyone has their off days, mine just happened to be the one when someone was taking notes...It is very well written, so If you don't make it to the pilots seat, the writing job could be very well suited to you, for 16 you sure know how to keep someone's attention...Capt. Rónán O Cadhain

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Gosh, thanks for all the compliments guys, I really appreciate it. Just trying to let you guys share part of a really great experience. And sorry for you being joked about Rónán. Tell ya whet, if you let me up front again, I'll write another article, and this time I'll brush over any incidents you caused. I've a feeling though that that's what made the story so good, between the paper being shot up, you being really anxious about back-tracking and turning on the runway and then that landing, without those, half the fun wouldn't of been there. Although, if it has been sent around as a circular email to all the pilots, then I hope they removed the bit about becoming a training captain, that could lead to some awkward encounters....

Sweet lord that's one long post, that's gonna take an hour to read. Nice to see I still have my youthful looks Just%20Kidding.gifRónán O Cadhain.
I want to be on the jumpseat too in one of your flights! :D Please pick me up next time you fly from Amsterdam to Dublin. :(

Although, if it has been sent around as a circular email to all the pilots, then I hope they removed the bit about becoming a training captain, that could lead to some awkward encounters....
I bet they didn't. He%20He.gif Great story, took an hour of my life and that's an achievement these days. You really do have an ease and lightness in writing, it's been a pleasure to read.

Very interesting story! Was pleasure to read. And few guys already expressed same feelings that I have now. Jelous and didn't want this story to end so fast. Rolling%20Eyes.gifNiall, please go for the return leg with capt. Ronan O'Cadhain! We simply require continued story...

Well, in germany, it is a bit easier, sonetimes simple asking does a good job here. I once did a flight from Frankfurt to Hamburg (EDDF-EDDH) and i asked the pilot before the flight whether i could take some pictures of the cockpit. After taking them and asking some general questions, the Captain asked me to stay there for the whole flight. It was in an Airbus A320 and i was very impressed, as i have never been in a cockpit before. Absolutely great experience, especially the moments during Takeoff, when they push the Thrustlevers forward and you can feel the power happy.png
Hey, that's my idea!!! Im doing that in my next flight

I would suppose being a pilot anywhere, and especially these days, it wouldn`t be possible to help everyone to a jumpseat. However for those that do wish to do this then why not cover some groundwork and improve your chances. 10-15 miles from me and on the way to Manchester is Barton Airfield EGCB, a lovely place quite vibrant and busy with helicopters, light planes, micro lights and ultra lights of every description. A cafe, hangars, workshops, one of the oldest remaining brick towers in the UK. But I saved the best til last, many real world jet pilots go there on their days off. Some have planes there and all are members of the club there.Now I`m not suggesting everyone in the country pile in there. I`m sure you`d be welcome but I bet theirs many many places like this everywhere. All you need to do is get down there, get involved and talk to people then you might just get lucky. In the meantime you`ll get some great photographs, which is what I used to go for. sadly not as mobile now since a failed spinal op. No I`m not a member at Barton, but I do love the place, just a thought.......Steve

What a great story Niall and a great writer too!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776