Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

Active Sky 2012 announced

Nice tip. Pawel-d asked the right question over there.

Are there any changes in WX Interpolation logic in AS2012? Now it's the only thing that I find sometimes working incorrectly.
And I have to agree with him, since that's the main point where ASE spoils me while REX and my freeware don't. At least not that often.Examples. Taking off from Tahiti with some realistic 30C and landing a few nm out with 'advanced interpolation' giving me 18C and some default baro pressure is not the thing I did expect on the SP3 patched weather addon (rw was 28C over there). Another example was McMurdo station, where ASE hat the initial weather (which is a big pro) with some -9C, but, again, some nm out already rendered some +9C which is nowhere close to anything realistic (rw showed -11).With the various weather modes and the options on e. g. creating additional stations or not, ASE still shows this 'not so advanced estimation' and if '2012' is any better there, this will indeed be an improvement worth looking at.I'm sure you understand that, regardless of the forum section, the answers from the guys actually selling the product will always come in as a sales argument in the first place.'Much improved', 'better overall' and 'making it even better', all those vague statements don't make me run to the bank to get the money, but let me stay and ask 'how much?' or 'how in detail?', especially when seeing that the patched ASE SP3 still fails on the above example items.Again, 'improved performance' is an ASE only item for me. It's the only weather addon where one needs to improve that. All the others out there don't take 120mb of RAM and quite some CPU cycles to generate the weather in FSX. I've moved ASE to a second PC because of this, while the others can run on the main one.Besides that, they even allow an installation on different systems without running into activation limits of any kind and the salesman's advice to buy another copy.Therefore, apologies for looking forward to user reports. I was hoping to see something from the beta testers though. I have no doubts that the added texture stuff is great for some, but I'm only looking at the weather part of '2012' and if it's able to fill some gaps ASE still has.As a side note, the cloud tower enhancements look really nice. But one can already get them when using Simaddons scenery, which offers a free download of a small patch to show exactly that in FSX, with any weather addon in use.

I was unhappy at first when AS2012 came out, 2 weeks after I bought ASE, but in the meantime I've come to accept that it's a new product etc. but something still didn't sit right with me, and I think I know what it is.The gap between announcement and release is just far too short. If this sounds like a broken record just bare with me.You buy ASE for $50, then barely 2 weeks later AS2012 is announced and released almost immediately. I don't see what the issue would've been with having the announcement a bit earlier. The thing that still gets to me is that I spent 50 bucks on ASE, now I'm given an upgrade option to AS2012 for $40. That means I'm spending $90 on AS2012, seeing as though I've hardly used ASE at all. In fact I used it a grand total of twice during the first 2 weeks due to being busy at work, and then out of nowhere comes AS2012. If I'd known AS2012 was coming, I would've never bought ASE in the first place, I would've waited a couple of weeks.Doesn't matter which way you look at it, in my sitiation, I'm being asked to pay $90 for the latest version of Active Sky.And that's just not worth it.And actually this is not good for HiFi either. They've received $50 from me and I'm a bit disenchanted with the whole thing. If they had announced AS2012 earlier, they would now have 60 of my dollars, and I'd be much happier.Paying $40 for AS2012 now would mean that I've spent an extra $30 on software I've used twice, and will never use again. Brilliant products, poor marketing. If I'd owned ASE for even a couple of months, fine, but this way is just not going to happen, even though I'd love to have AS2012. I don't think this is particularly unreasonable.

I was unhappy at first when AS2012 came out, 2 weeks after I bought ASE, but in the meantime I've come to accept that it's a new product etc. but something still didn't sit right with me, and I think I know what it is.The gap between announcement and release is just far too short. If this sounds like a broken record just bare with me.You buy ASE for $50, then barely 2 weeks later AS2012 is announced and released almost immediately. I don't see what the issue would've been with having the announcement a bit earlier. The thing that still gets to me is that I spent 50 bucks on ASE, now I'm given an upgrade option to AS2012 for $40. That means I'm spending $90 on AS2012, seeing as though I've hardly used ASE at all. In fact I used it a grand total of twice during the first 2 weeks due to being busy at work, and then out of nowhere comes AS2012. If I'd known AS2012 was coming, I would've never bought ASE in the first place, I would've waited a couple of weeks.Doesn't matter which way you look at it, in my sitiation, I'm being asked to pay $90 for the latest version of Active Sky.And that's just not worth it.And actually this is not good for HiFi either. They've received $50 from me and I'm a bit disenchanted with the whole thing. If they had announced AS2012 earlier, they would now have 60 of my dollars, and I'd be much happier.Paying $40 for AS2012 now would mean that I've spent an extra $30 on software I've used twice, and will never use again. Brilliant products, poor marketing. If I'd owned ASE for even a couple of months, fine, but this way is just not going to happen, even though I'd love to have AS2012. I don't think this is particularly unreasonable.
I would contact Damien, directly, I am certain he will sort you out regarding the short time you have had ASE.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I would contact Damien, directly, I am certain he will sort you out regarding the short time you have had ASE.
Yes I probably should... apologies for boring everyone I know how tedious these posts are!

Yes I probably should... apologies for boring everyone I know how tedious these posts are!
HelloHifi are still updating ASE so it is not as if you have bought an obsolete product.They have just released an update for ASE, so work continues on your version.http://forum.avsim.net/topic/357350-ase-sp4-beta-available/

HelloHifi are still updating ASE so it is not as if you have bought an obsolete product.They have just released an update for ASE, so work continues on your version.http://forum.avsim.n...beta-available/
Thanks for the heads up. Don't get me wrong, I love ASE. Just been messing around at Cape Town International, and seriously, the weather I see out my window is the weather I see in FSX. It's so much better than anything I've had before that it's hard to imagine AS2012 doing it better. It's like someone took a photo of the sky above my house and used it as a sky texture for FSX.