Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greggerm

Seasonal Changes in Scenery?

Can someone with XP10 share whether or not X-Plane has seasonal changes to the scenery, or does everything stay nice and green all year long?-Greg

Good question. I don't believe anyone has asked this one. If it does not?Bob

Officially retired

From what I understand, it's summer textures year-round at the moment. Seasonal textures may be added at some point in the future.

Alan Ampolsk

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!"
-- Saint-Exupery

I wouldnt think the textures would take up as much.. But i agree, the high res mesh textures, just think of how many connect the dots that has to be..

Ugh summer only?? Maybe I will only use XP for night flying lol...

|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

Very bad weather here in England..I live pretty close to a majort airport,whilst out in the car i as a passenger i always look skywards and see the planes coming in with their lights on.I couldn't believe how close X Plane clouds and lighting have got to reality...i really was gobsmacked!!:)My discs have arrived but i can't install until Christmas,orders are orders!!all the best,

Ha, you are obedient!And textures- stay tuned for a major interview wit xplane's terrain guru, Alpilotx..Xplane can apply different seasonal textures, give it time. Also, you could try Tom Curtis' freeware 'winterworld' texture converter, it gives everywhere a nice snowy look.

Simmo W, Melbourne, Oz
http://www.youtube.com/user/id5556

I don't think we've seen a confirmed answer for this question yet... so I'll politely ask again...Can an XP10 user check to see if X-Plane 10 is a mono-scenery package (Everything green and summery all year long), or if it has distinct seasons such as fall, winter, spring, and also summer.Thanks kindly,-Greg

NO Seasonal Textures at this "time" <-----

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 2080TI FE | W10 Pro | ASUS 27" 2K Monitor | Oculus Rift S

Haven't you seen that movie the Endless Summer ? Lol.....

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x, 1080GTX, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 10, XP-11 !

Eric Escobar

Official answer (if you accept from me): there are no seasonal textures at the moment... as we haven't even finished the summer textures (on a planetary scale). The current texturing in XP10 is far from finished (which is true for other artwork too - nu surprise). We are working trough different climate zones, and as you might have guessed, areas like around Seattle (but also Alpine, and usually the more temperate and cold climates) are already at a quite good level. But many other places couldn't get the same treatment - until now - because we only have a limited number of hands. So, in those places, you see much more of the "older" X-Plane 9 textures (I reused them, to have an acceptable start for the entire planet ... even if its not perfect). Because of that, we didn't begin to bother with seasons too as we would need to re-do them every time we update one of the summer textures. And, we not only update, but also constantly add new textures as we get them finished (because there are far more terrain types encoded in the base scenery, than we have different textures ... we often reuse the same texture in more than one place). All of this will slowly - but steadily - come to you via the usual updates.And if you want to understand better, how the whole texture-scenery-relationship works, wait until Simmo W releases the interview ... there I tried to shed some light on some of the technical aspects (it will be partly a quite technical write up, but the ones who are really interested will learn from it some bit believe).

Andras Fabian / Alpilotx

Visit www.alpilotx.net, a site about X-plane scenery

You can see some landscape and other photographs from me here:

http://www.flickr.co...s/weathermaker/

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

42%
    $10,690.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now