Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Buying extra copy of FSX?

And if the key server goes off line permanently, what then?
The Pirate Bay would probably see a large influx of users!

The Pirate Bay would probably see a large influx of users!
LOL

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

And if the key server goes off line permanently, what then?
They better not. If I have a licensed copy, then they have to honor it or give me back my money or provide the necessary reg entries to make it good.Bob

Why should I buy another copy of FSX?! I've got one here, more I don't need. Maybe Acceleration some time, but…

Haven't any of you heard of backing up your software? Just back-up your FSX, and you'll be ok.
I have all my software backed up in triplicate :-) However, after a computer crash or rebuild when trying to install the software if those companies are "gone" the online activation would be gone with it.I speak from experience as this just happened with some non-flight sim software I purchased last year. Rebuild of my computer required re-activation but the company no longer exists so I no longer have access to my purchased software :'(

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo * E8600 3.33 o/c 4.0 ghz * EVGA GTX 275 *

OCZ Reaper DDR2 4GB * Corsair 750W ATX * Lian-LI Case

They better not. If I have a licensed copy, then they have to honor it or give me back my money or provide the necessary reg entries to make it good.Bob
Good luck with that one, Bob.As an FYI - the FSX eula - eula.rtf - is to be found in the root folder of FSX. The Windows eulas are different for every version of Windows, and may not even be applicable: interesting/good site here:- http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/the-eula-you-click-may-not-be-the-one-in-effect/ :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Good luck with that one, Bob.As an FYI - the FSX eula - eula.rtf - is to be found in the root folder of FSX. The Windows eulas are different for every version of Windows, and may not even be applicable: interesting/good site here:- http://windowssecret...-one-in-effect/ :(
I just keep my computer image updated. I wish I knew every reg entry used for the FSX installation. Someone out there must know how to get around the internet license process for FSX just in case.If they break their end of the deal then It's only fair.Bob Edited by N1G

I know this sounds silly but after an HDD mechanical failure last year I now have a pair of independent WD Caviar Black drives. One is used day to day while the other sits completely isolated and disconnected from the system. Once a month or so I plug in the 2nd drive and image the first.Probably a bit extreme but there you go. I also took care to order physical DVD's of most add-ons (and the lovely REX2 USB drive).That keeps FSX under control.X-Plane is far easier to backup. While the current install state (-1 to 30 days) is maintained its a really easy process to burn backups as nothing is actually "installed"....just files within the desktop folder. I back up the important bits again to DVD.I'll be darned if I'll go through that HDD mess again or deal with installing FSX. When I finally retire my current system-and with the new gfx card going in tomorrow it will be suitable for another 18 months or so-my FSX Gold box has been used once for initial install on a different PC and once on the current rig and should be fine.I hope lol.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

It's probably a good idea. I have run out of installs on my original copy of FSX so that can happen.Colin

I don't think there's any limit on the number of installs on an FSX disk set. Maybe I'm wrong?Besides - if one uses an image as a backup solution - there's no limit to how long you can run the program.

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have all my software backed up in triplicate :-) However, after a computer crash or rebuild when trying to install the software if those companies are "gone" the online activation would be gone with it.I speak from experience as this just happened with some non-flight sim software I purchased last year. Rebuild of my computer required re-activation but the company no longer exists so I no longer have access to my purchased software :'(
With Win7U or back up program you can make an image of the C drive and back up FSX and you will NOT need to re-activate anything. I KNOW from personal experience. I seriously doubt that you have cleaned a drive as much as I have in the last 5 years. I doubt it.Respectfully,

With Win7U or back up program you can make an image of the C drive and back up FSX and you will NOT need to re-activate anything. I KNOW from personal experience. I seriously doubt that you have cleaned a drive as much as I have in the last 5 years. I doubt it.Respectfully,
I hope my message didn't come across condescending to you, definitely not my intent. I don't think I'm in your league in terms of hard drive cleanups given the work you've done for the community (which I've benefited from many times over) and the cleanups you must certainly have to do.The problem I've had in the past with image backups is that they work wonders when you want to do a reinstall on the same hardware. However, I've never had luck trying to use that image on a brand computer with completely different parts (different video card, network card, etc). For example, in a year when I build another net new flight computer would that image no longer be useless as the hardware is completely different?In my work as a developer we use image backups all the time as our envrionments are constantly corrupted with re-installations, etc., and since we are using that image on the same hardware life is wonderful indeed :)Andreas

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo * E8600 3.33 o/c 4.0 ghz * EVGA GTX 275 *

OCZ Reaper DDR2 4GB * Corsair 750W ATX * Lian-LI Case

If memory serves me well, after 3 installs, you need to make a phone call. To a number provided onscreen at time of activation.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I hope my message didn't come across condescending to you, definitely not my intent. I don't think I'm in your league in terms of hard drive cleanups given the work you've done for the community (which I've benefited from many times over) and the cleanups you must certainly have to do.The problem I've had in the past with image backups is that they work wonders when you want to do a reinstall on the same hardware. However, I've never had luck trying to use that image on a brand computer with completely different parts (different video card, network card, etc). For example, in a year when I build another net new flight computer would that image no longer be useless as the hardware is completely different?In my work as a developer we use image backups all the time as our envrionments are constantly corrupted with re-installations, etc., and since we are using that image on the same hardware life is wonderful indeed :)Andreas
That's the key, "same hardware."

That's the key, "same hardware."
And that's the problem!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!