Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Some thoughts on Flight...

Oh ye of little faith... ask and you shall recieve: http://www.flightgear.org/. Doesn't look as good as FSX, but it is a free and open source flight simulator.
I have often wondered by FlightGear is hardly ever mentioned. Perhaps it's because the 3D-engine is too old.I think it would be great if we had an Open Source simulator as our standard platform! Then we could all stop worry about it and the developers could get on with their work.

This is the nub of the argument: X-Plane is like a force that has yet to reach critical mass. Already, since the closure of the ACES studio, sales of X-Plane have soared, membership of forums have doubled, and the demands of FS9/FSX users, used to a more "polished" virtual world, is having a hugely beneficial effect. We need developers like PMDG to show how it can be done, to encourage more developers to form effective teams and finish new projects in good time. We need FSX users to bring a new point of view, or a new sense of priorities, to make XP10, XP11, XP12 even better than they could be without them.
Hi - I've just realised who you are. You must the developer behind that utterly amazing Comet aircraft WIP for X-plane, that you can see on YouTube? I think I posted a comment about it on YouTube, a while back, stating that it's worth getting X-plane just to have that add-on when its ready! Very much looking forward to seeing that one when it's done.

Thank you very much! The Comet looks old in those YouTube films. Much has changed ...

... Of course I would do it ! Do you think PMDG can play around and make some money selling aircrafts to dying FSX or un-matured X-plane 10 ? I would put down my pant, turn around and say... come on, thank you microsoft. Millions of potential customer are better than hundreds. And at the end, who developed the game ? So Microsoft should be the big winner of the game... Oh yes come on....
Well good luck because once you go down that route and they tie you in contractually they will own you and they call ALL the shots. You no longer have your own company becuase you have mortgaged it to M$ - better hope they don't dump you when something bnetter comes along.

I will not be purchasing MS Flight, and I encourage PMDG product users to not buy MS Flight. Perhaps a joint venture with Aerofly FS? Their graphics look incredible!Ash Frew.

Thanks to Robert Randazzo for his clear statements.Last decades factories producing paints ( for cars ,houses etc) have been confronted with all kinds of restrictions with the use of chemicals.Its all about health and environment.A friend of mine owns such a factory and many years ago he told me " I really hate to produce this stuff , its not half as good as it used to be , but what do you expect me to do? I simply have to run my paint-factory and pay my people"What has this to do with PMDG?Everything and let me tell you why.PMDG is a company selling/producing products and wants to continue its production for the same reasons.And when Robert goes into production for X-Plane , I can imagine him to think.:" I really hate to produce this stuff , its not half as good as I was used too, but what do you expect me to do? I simply have to run my factory and pay my people"My paint producing friend is very positive about the paint-qualities these days and his factory bigger and more profitable than ever.X-Plane and PMDG will go the same way Robert.Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

I will not be purchasing MS Flight...
Just as a point of order, no one will be "purchasing MS Flight..."...because it will be free. If anyone wishes to expand and add new content to their free version, that's another matter altogether!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Free you say. Wow. I'm speechless. I truly don't know what to say about that. Thanks for the correction by the way.Ash Frew.

Thanks for the insight Robert, M$ is really hammering that greed down hard aren't they. I wait patiently for ethics to trump greed..... I know, good luck right!In all honesty, FLIGHT couldn't tear me away from my NGX unless it too had an NGX. I'm sticking with PMDG and FSX, quite an easy decision really.

My sim time will probably be evenly split between MS Flight and FSX/Prepar3D for the foreseeable future.

Thanks to Robert Randazzo for his clear statements.Last decades factories producing paints ( for cars ,houses etc) have been confronted with all kinds of restrictions with the use of chemicals.Its all about health and environment.A friend of mine owns such a factory and many years ago he told me " I really hate to produce this stuff , its not half as good as it used to be , but what do you expect me to do? I simply have to run my paint-factory and pay my people"What has this to do with PMDG?Everything and let me tell you why.PMDG is a company selling/producing products and wants to continue its production for the same reasons.And when Robert goes into production for X-Plane , I can imagine him to think.:" I really hate to produce this stuff , its not half as good as I was used too, but what do you expect me to do? I simply have to run my factory and pay my people"My paint producing friend is very positive about the paint-qualities these days and his factory bigger and more profitable than ever.X-Plane and PMDG will go the same way Robert.Leen de Jager
The blind faith that everyone will jump to X-Plane is laughable at best.The current state of XP10 (effectively nothing more than a beta) means it will probably be another 5 years before anyone will make it a serious consideration.It will take the 5 years for:1) XP 10 to mature into a stable platform.2) For addon devs to bring the base program upto a level that can compete with FSX + addons. That is assuming the addon devs buy into XP, of which there is no guarantee.Just because XP10 is the new kid on the block does not make it the obvious nor best choice. Look at FS9 as an example.As for FSX, as far as I am concerned it is only starting to stretch its legs right now. The fact that the latest hardware can now run it with relative ease and the fantastic addons that are being released for it show that there is much, much more to come from this 6 year old platform.Neither XP10 or Flight will change this fact. So, in most cases, its business as usual. Edited by GHarrall

One thing is clear , you really did not understand the clue of my metaphore.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

• One thing is clear , you really did not understand the clue of my metaphore.

Oh I think I got it well enough....albeit rather odd.You are saying that initially there will be a period of possible growing pains and that the perception will be that 'I wish I could of just carried on making planes for FSX'As time goes by, the issues that were once present will no longer to be percieved as being issues.Thats it in a nutshell is it not?My point here is that there is little to suggest there is ANY reason to abandon FSX. In most cases, it will be business as usual for addon devs.Or from your metaphor.....they can carry on making the original 'nasty chemical' paint and still remain a profitable business.FSX has not had any support for 5 years. Has it made any difference? NO.....addon devs are only just getting the best out of it right now.Why would they stop making the 'nasty' paint when it is still very much a viable business?Nobody is forcing devs to move to XP or Flight.I wont be moving to ANY new sim unless it is in my interests. Right now as an average customer, FSX is doing exactly what I want and need. It is actually getting better!If XP10, Flight or P3D change my opinion, great! I cannot see that happening in the short to mid term future however.

Edited by GHarrall

No there is no reason to abandon FSX now , nevertheless is always very usefull to be prepaired for the future.Thats why it makes sense for developers to go into developing in X-Plane as well.The moment FSX is no more flightsim nr one , the devolpers must be prepaired and already active in X-Plane-development.I think its very wise to start developing for "the future" wich means developing for FSX AND other sims.( E.g. XP )Waiting untill its to late ,is something PMDG and other developers cannot affort.Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints