Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

STOP Searching For A New Platform

You are right Jose, after huge swaths of time, talent and treasure FSX works like many of us had hoped that it would one day. Of course there will always be the challenge to keep it that way, as FSX has proved to be as tempermental as a beautiful, tightly stung, expensive, high maintenance mistress. The next traumatic outburst is always right around the corner, even though she is growing more serene the older she gets!Kind regards,
Stephen,I was going to edit my original post and add a big "thank you" to you my friend for cajoling me into buying a SB. Everyone here knows how much I appreciate the members of AVSIM. But, I'll remind you:THANK YOU

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Amen!Cheerfully reporting from FL270 N55499 W3139 about 2.5 hours out of Shannon live on VATSIM flying a most amazing FSX add-on aircraft ya'll will be reading about soon!Shaddup and fly baby :Love:p.s. I liked hearing about the father-son education regarding game-v-flight sim. My 5 year old loves to sit next to me and call out "check" when I run through checklists lol.p.p.s. Installed a new gfx card today and things are looking really sweet too. Ripped out the old GT 430 and chucked in an ASUS GTX 550 Ti Direct Cu..20 minutes of minor overclock and Inspector adjusting and things look great in both FSX and XP. Woohooo!

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

My son came for Christmas with his wife and finally asked me how the FlightSim was doing. He knows I love it. I told him that with all the 3rd party addons and such I was in hog heaven.Can I fly he said. Sure, what would you like to fly? Do you have a big jet. Yep sure do. He hopped in to the NGX and tried to take off. Bells and whistles accompanied his attempt but he could not get off the ground. Whats wrong with this piece of ##### game he asked. Nothing I said, but it's not a game. What do you mean it's not a game he said. It's a simulator I responded with a smile. Dad, I am an engineer, trust me, it's a game. Ok I said. Let me line you up with the runway about 5-6 miles out and 2500 feet or so and see if you can land. Crash, Crash again Crash. What is wrong he said. I let him have it. Airspeed to high, AOA way to low.......... It should not be this hard he said. Again, it's not a game, it's a simulator. I then got a little squint-stare from him. I then took him through some of the cockpit procedures and checklists and then showed him how it was done. I got the biggest grin from him that I will never forget. He said he really had no idea whatsoever that "this game" was so complex. We spent a couple of hours going over some of the features of different aircraft, ATC and Aivlasofts Flight Bag. We did a few short hops to some of the ORBX airports using MCE and he was really beginning to show some honest interest. It is fairly difficult to get through to a young engineer sometimes!!!Why do we spend so much valuable time talking about MS Flight, and trying to compare FSX to XPX?FSX is an awesome simulator.RegardsBob
Great story!

Excellant post DJ, I couldn't agree more ! I have been flying FSX trouble free since the beginning, and it just gets better with age.

Jay

I was going to edit my original post and add a big "thank you" to you my friend for cajoling me into buying a SB.
What did you upgrade from?

What did you upgrade from?
i7 975 @ 4.0Although it might not seem like a big jump from 4.0 to 4.8, it was and is for me.

i7 975 @ 4.0Although it might not seem like a big jump from 4.0 to 4.8, it was and is for me.
Thanks, looks like you are another satisfied SB user! I am upgrading myself at some point from i7 950 @ stock 3.03 so hopefully I will be as impressed with it as you appear to be Money%20Eyes.gif

Jose et al. I couldn't agree with you more.

\Robert Hamlich/

I'm not sure that we're looking for a new platform...rather just hoping the current one would get a face lift... that's what I was hoping with flight until those unkown devs posted all that stuff about Hawaii only and MS dumping SDK and 3pd support... and it was all true!FSX is really nice now especially with the Dowson g3d fix. I got a ton on those errors on a daily basis so I'm glad he was able to lock it down. I still get OOM's but because I push the machine so much in Orbx land.Am I satisfied with FSX? I don't think I will ever be... I'm human and I always want more.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Great post DJJose totally agree, happy FSX+addons user here.Now that FSX, hardware and the developers of addons have reached this level, I don't feel threatened by Flight/XP10/P3D etc... those are just more options in the market (that I may try and even enjoy as well) but as long as no-one takes away the good we have with FSX and the developers keep supporting these great add-ons then we can enjoy for years to come.

--John near KPAE

Hi guys,FSX is great right now, I agree. But while really viable today, it is a ticking time bomb if your horizion looks out beyond say this year. We just don't know how long it will continue to function as the platform changes. If development plans aren't made now, we might be left with nothing at all to work with.Regards,G

Hi guys,FSX is great right now, I agree. But while really viable today, it is a ticking time bomb if your horizion looks out beyond say this year. We just don't know how long it will continue to function as the platform changes. If development plans aren't made now, we might be left with nothing at all to work with.Regards,G
The only reason I would leave this platform is if 3rd party devs stop development, or something better comes along. As long as there are addons, it's a living breathing sim.Bob Edited by N1G

The only reason I would leave this platform is if 3rd party devs stop development, or something better comes along. As long as there are addons, it's a living breathing sim.Bob
Sorry Bob, but this just isn't true. The real risk lies a breaking change in the OS platform or drivers etc. All it would take is one security fix or DX patch that wasn't tested with FSX to cause it to fail, then we're in trouble. This may never happen, or it could happen today.Regards,George Edited by gmohr

FSX works fine now, but it still works fine only as a 2006 game. I've seen the dark side (graphics of state of the art games) and I'm sorry, FSX isn't the future. I fly every week in FSX, so it's not that I can't have fun with it, but most people don't. This hobby, like any other, need new blood to fund future development. Retro games like FSX isn't going to attract a large audience. How many copies of FSX has been sold, and how many still use it and buy addons for it? I'd like to know, because without a simulator based on state of the art graphics, flight simmers are going to end up as the stamp collectors of the computer world.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Sorry Bob, but this just isn't true. The real risk lies a breaking change in the OS platform or drivers etc. All it would take is one security fix or DX patch that wasn't tested with FSX to cause it to fail, then we're in trouble. This may never happen, or it could happen today.Regards,George
George, I would agree but my system is locked. No updates, no changes, froze in time. Call me paranoid, but when all is working well, no reason to make any changes, especially those from MS.Bob