Sign in to follow this  
P47D

Demo mess

So I looked at the screenshots and video's of X-10 and figured I would download the demo. It took quite a while but finally loaded up.What a mess!! My system is a quad core with a 8800GT Nvidia card with 4gigs of ram. Runs FSX at 30+FPS. The demo looks horrible and is still choppy. Probably under 10FPS. Also I cant figure out why the King Air veers all over the place once it takes off. Not smooth at all. I've checked the weather and tried to work with my joystick. Just rubbish.Why would I pay money for something that is no good? Can anyone who has made this work please advise if maybe I am doing something wrong here? Do I need to spend a few thousand on a computer to get this thing running decent?

So I looked at the screenshots and video's of X-10 and figured I would download the demo. It took quite a while but finally loaded up.What a mess!! My system is a quad core with a 8800GT Nvidia card with 4gigs of ram. Runs FSX at 30+FPS. The demo looks horrible and is still choppy. Probably under 10FPS. Also I cant figure out why the King Air veers all over the place once it takes off. Not smooth at all. I've checked the weather and tried to work with my joystick. Just rubbish.Why would I pay money for something that is no good?Can anyone who has made this work please advise if maybe I am doing something wrong here? Do I need to spend a few thousand on a computer to get this thing running decent?
The fact that you run FSX well, is more so because of your CPU. FSX is CPU dependent. XPX, from what I can see, is more GPU dependent. I think your 8800 card is way out-dated. As far as the aircraft, you need to adjust your "null-zone" settings. Sliders to the right.

Spend some time adjusting your settings like you did with FSX instead of expecting optimal performance out of the box. But my guess is you're just here to bash on X-Plane rather than give it an honest go.

I run X-plane 10 beta 7 and it works great for the most part, i am not sure about the latest version though as I have been reluctant to update due to reports of bad clouds. make sure you have the latest drivers for your card. definitely spend some time with the joystick settings and mess around with the rendering options to see what affects your fps. start with everything at minimum and crank them up incrementally to see what causes your fps to dive. as far as the king air goes, the model itself is really good for a default aircraft, but alot of the X-plane default aircraft can be unstable until you tweak your settings a little, i found that the B58 and the kingair are the most untstable. Also as mentioned above, X-plane uses the gpu alot more then FSX and XP9, if you want a really good platform for both FSX and XPX, you may want a better card, i think the GTX 580 would be the best one to get, but i have a 560 and it works pretty good.

I run X-plane 10 beta 7 and it works great for the most part, i am not sure about the latest version though as I have been reluctant to update due to reports of bad clouds. make sure you have the latest drivers for your card. definitely spend some time with the joystick settings and mess around with the rendering options to see what affects your fps. start with everything at minimum and crank them up incrementally to see what causes your fps to dive. as far as the king air goes, the model itself is really good for a default aircraft, but alot of the X-plane default aircraft can be unstable until you tweak your settings a little, i found that the B58 and the kingair are the most untstable. Also as mentioned above, X-plane uses the gpu alot more then FSX and XP9, if you want a really good platform for both FSX and XPX, you may want a better card, i think the GTX 580 would be the best one to get, but i have a 560 and it works pretty good.
Even my GTX 260 works really well.

then don't.
Thats a, "I'll take my ball and go home" comment Edited by Tierborn

No it's not. It's a "If you don't like it, then adios and have a good one" comment.

P47D, don't make the mistake I did, and just give up, and bash it. If you work with it, and let these guys help you out, you'll really enjoy this sim. Take a look at some of my old post, I use to hate it, but realized only after some time and "tweaking", that it is a great sim. Just my 2 cents. :(

My comment was not meant as a flame to X-plane or whine about anything so too bad people immediately think that. Guess you just have to put up with that in any public forum.I appreciate all the positive comments in an effort to help. I will work with it and I know my video card needs updated. That will be a fairly inexpensive upgrade. I guess I forgot how much messing around I did with FSX. I think I was getting 5FPS at LAX when it first came out so I suppose with updates and tweaking will make a difference.Any help and constructive suggestions are appreciated.

So I looked at the screenshots and video's of X-10 and figured I would download the demo. It took quite a while but finally loaded up.What a mess!! My system is a quad core with a 8800GT Nvidia card with 4gigs of ram. Runs FSX at 30+FPS. The demo looks horrible and is still choppy. Probably under 10FPS. Also I cant figure out why the King Air veers all over the place once it takes off. Not smooth at all. I've checked the weather and tried to work with my joystick. Just rubbish.Why would I pay money for something that is no good?Can anyone who has made this work please advise if maybe I am doing something wrong here? Do I need to spend a few thousand on a computer to get this thing running decent?
Hi P47D,posting your complete system specs would be helpful as a starting point to try and understand why it'snot running well right now.Also keep in mind, that X-Plane is designed to modify your "sim" preferences based on some built-in algorithmsor, a simple "table",which gives it the ability to decide what's your best (preferencesperformance:hardware): ratio.So if after installing you go straight to the rendering options and tweak the sub-options to what you'ld like,want,or expect, then you may run into the type problems you've described.Try the default settings as a starting point, then start tweaking the option(s) you're most interested inand you should find a sweet spot.

NO!Do not start at default settings.Dial EVERYTHING in rendering to the absolute minimal setting.Turn off AI/ATC.Start turning things back on one at a time...paying attention to what needs XPX restarting (some redraw on the fly...other things need the sim rebooted).Be patient with the above process and you will find your chokepoint and make compromises from that point.With regard to the controller settings....its pretty darn easy. Set the xyz axis stuff on the main page which is simply move the axis and use the dropdown to select the function. Then use the button page to....guess what...pick a function and push a button to assign.And then report back with a slightly less negative attitude with regards to how you get on. Then we can deal with how to set the weather...or no weather...or whatever.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

P47D:The comment that got you in trouble was "Why would I pay money for something that is no good?"Think about it, you waltz in here, declare that our sim of choice is "no good", and then act surprised when you get a little push-back from the forum regulars? Please. That said, your second post was an improvement in tone, so I think you'll find better responses here on out.As TedG said, the "official" method for tuning performance is to start with all of the rendering options set to low and then adjust one at a time until you find your performance killers. Once you've identified those, you should be able to take the other settings up fairly high while maintaining good performance. To see your frame rates, go to Settings -> Data Input & Output then the Dataset tab and put a check mark in the far-right column next to "frame rate". Keep in mind that the number you want to pay attention to is under "f-act" and not "f-sim" (f-sim refers to the internal frame rate at which the flight model is running, which can sometimes be higher than your actual frame rate).Good luck.

You can also start with all of you "null zone" settings on the most "un-realistic" settings, and add them in to your comfort level. This is under the "joystick" settings and then "null zone". There are 6 bars in the top half of the screen, put them all the way to the right, fly, and add them to your liking. You planes will fly much better.

Mountain Man your sim of choice (the demo) was no good. It sucked when first fired up compared to FSX... It was rubbish. My frustration did come through in my post but too bad!!!! I'm as passionate about flight sims as you are. I posted in here to see if I could get someone with more experience in X-Plane the sim to help and they did thanks!!! What I'm trying to figure out is how to make it better. I already got a smoother ride by doing what TedG said. Water rendering seems to completely shut the sim down and I figured out how to make my hat switch move the views around along with other buttons assigned properly. It's just super different to what I am used to so it's a learning curve. Anyway no need for more discussion on this. I think it's just gonna be some time for me to get my system happy with the demo then I will see how 10.1 and 10.2 of the sim look and hopefully upgrade my system get that experience of what I think this sim can do. Maybe someone else who is having the same experince as I had can gain some help from this thread.Thank you