Sign in to follow this  
haztronic

How is there still none?!

I was thinking this earlier, how the heck is there still not one good A330-340 model out there for FSX yet? I mean, airbus is one of the key long haul companies out there, virgin atlantic, lufthansa, swiss air, singapore, they all use airbus as their primary long haul aircraft. How come no FSX developer besides Wilco has really developed a knock out airbus for us? I don't use Wilco's because of the PMDG fault they have, and to be honest, the exterior model is horrific. But anyway, does anybody know why?

Because the Airbus FBW is very difficult to simulate, while Boeing aircraft don't have the same complex FBW and protection laws, so they are better represented in FSX.

I think you can get some nice combos if you run the latest freeware models and the vasFMC suite. But on the payware side, the CLS' and Wilcos are all there is. This may be true for a long time to come on the A330+.

I was thinking this earlier, how the heck is there still not one good A330-340 model out there for FSX yet? I mean, airbus is one of the key long haul companies out there, virgin atlantic, lufthansa, swiss air, singapore, they all use airbus as their primary long haul aircraft. How come no FSX developer besides Wilco has really developed a knock out airbus for us? I don't use Wilco's because of the PMDG fault they have, and to be honest, the exterior model is horrific. But anyway, does anybody know why?
The answer is very simple: Developing an Airbus is not a piece of cake, or as easy as a Boeing; hence, only a couple of developers such as PSS, Wilco, Aerosoft (Airbus X), have ventured into developing the Airbus. The desire to have a top quality Airbus by customers is huge. Unfortunately, it is not wasy to develop; perhaps developers such as PMDG prefer not to jump in due to fear of failing! (They once promised to do Airbuses but they didn't and never said why).-- Today, Wilco is the very best Airbus simulation there is. I personally own this product and enjoy it very much (Vol 2) The interior texures are not high quality as the Airbus X; however, the exterior textures are pretty good...and the systems in general and very strong ! So, Wilco is the only serious Airbus developer that FSX has.

Has the Wilco V2 improved its exterior textures?
Wilco never did produce good exteriors in their models. The beauty though is that they are native FSX models, meaning they have separate interior, and external models. This allows you to replace the wilco external model with a higher quality one. The one I use is Thomas Ruth's. You can get it here in the library.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

-- Today, Wilco is the very best Airbus simulation there is.
True that is. Maybe the FS9 folks are able to see some promising Airsimmer, which was planned to come to FSX too, but, so far, failed. Shame, that Airbus market could need a fresh breeze of air. With Aerosoft being on a better version of their light A320 rendition, it may get better. But the A330+ range still is either old or empty, depending on the viewpoint.

I expect we'll tackle the A330 after our A320 series for FSX. A lot of our development has been focused on the infrastructure that is shared across the Airbus family.

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Andrew, that's great news. Nice to see you folks progressing on some fine Airbus stuff. :(

There's been a couple of devs who started projects that looked promising, but they both petered out (Airliner XP and Air-Simmer). AirSimmer actually released a "basic" version of their A320, but as can be implied, it's basic. Visually it's nice, LCDs look great, all with correct fonts and colors, etc. Bad thing, the MCDU is rather limited and doesn't support VNAV. At the moment it's only an FS9 add-on. Mind you this was released several years ago with almost no updates on how the "full" version is coming. Last time I perused their forums, it seems they may finally be back to work but again no real updates on how far along they are. This boy is a 'bus fan so I eagerly await the day we finally have a high fidelity sim. Dana

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

Because the Airbus FBW is very difficult to simulate, while Boeing aircraft don't have the same complex FBW and protection laws, so they are better represented in FSX.
Well Boeing 777 is Fly-by-wire and PMDG is making it possible in FSX. I own Wilco A320 series and I find it very acceptable for its system and FBW simulation. I have not flied the real aircraft so I cannot say its FBW is realistic. However, compared with Aerosoft's Airbus X, the Wilco one is easier and more comfortable to fly, and of course I am enjoying it.

Well Boeing 777 is Fly-by-wire and PMDG is making it possible in FSX
The Airbus FBW is a whole different beast. It's very different from how Boeing FBW systems work. I won't attempt to go in to detail (got attacked last time I tried heh) but look it up and you'll see what I mean. Airbus has a very unique concept, which is also why I'd love to get my mitts on a great add on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

Has the new wilco airbus evo2 (a330-340 etc) sorted the .dll thing out now so PMDG doesn't crash?
What kind of crash you are talking about? I have done many successful flights with PMDG MD-11 without crashing that could be related to that kinds of things although I do have Wilcos Airbus Evo installed. I cant remember it happening even when I had that older version.Only crash I got with it was PMDGsounds.dll one and I guess that it was caused by me switching too much beetween windowed fsx and other programs. Anyway looking forward to FlightSimLabs one, looks very good. Edited by FScamp

FScamp, its been a common issue that many fs users have encountered with older wilco products like the 737, they didn't script their products correctly and so users couldn't fly the 747 or md-11 when having a wilco product installed. That's why i was asking if anybody knew if the newer products they have created have fixed their .dlls