Sign in to follow this  
fbass

What a joke

Here is what happens.1. Select the Flight executable.2. Screens turn black3. Hit the space bar twice (once won't do it)4. Main menu displays properly5. You can select any option on the main menu and the screen turns black and then goes back to the desktop. The Flight icon is in the system tray and the program is running but no Flight function operates.I thought I was home free with the "space bar technique," but noooooooooo. It's never that easy.fb

I'm quite sure there was a Beta testing phase to this development. However, I have no idea what kind of machines they tested this "thing" on. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.I can tell you that the program crashed right out of the box. I downloaded the software and the installer executed. When asked, I clicked the box to run it now, and guess what - the screen turned black and that is ALL I got.Man, what a joke.fb
I can tell you that I was a beta tester, running Windows 7 64-bit. Never had a single issue. Not one. While I don't like where Microsoft is going with Flight... I don't think it's fair to make claims regarding testing that you really don't know a thing about (as in who/what/etc).

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I can tell you that I was a beta tester, running Windows 7 64-bit. Never had a single issue. Not one. While I don't like where Microsoft is going with Flight... I don't think it's fair to make claims regarding testing that you really don't know a thing about (as in who/what/etc).
HelloSame here, whatever Flight! wasn't, at least on my machine it was rock solid, never had any issues at all.

Mr Wilson,If you "read" my post, there was no criticism what-so-ever concerning the Beta testers. I said that I didn't know what type of machines that were used during the testing phase. I was a Beta tester on FSX and I can tell you that there were many issues associated with the level of computers testers used. I can assure you that FSX was rushed to the market even though there were major unsolved issues with the software. It appears, based on comments here, that Flght had the same issues with release.As you can see in this thread, there were a few users who had the exact result executing Flight. So, I'm not alone in having this problem.fb

Hi FolksFrank -That's a nice machine you now have.However -Just to confirm other's statements -As a user of a W7-64, GTX 480, i7-740 1.73/2.83GHz & 8GB machine,I've had zero apparent hardware specific issues whatsoever.i.e.Crashing OOB, is most likely an issue with your PC's configuration.OS/Software updates being primary likelihood causatives.IIRC -Albeit being over 8 weeks ago.Having a previously installed specifically older version of the GFWL clientdid cause something very similar.re: Flight's beta processParticularly WRT a very vocal minority of Flight's beta participants & their incipient attitude of 'entitlement', which in no-way matched your previous experience ofthe relative professionalism & decorum of FSX/FSXA's beta-team.HTHATBPaul

Edited by basys

re: Flight's beta processParticularly WRT a select number of Flight's beta participants& their incipient attitude of entitlement,it in no-way matchedthe relative professionalism of the FSX/FSXA beta-team.
Well stated Paul. Honestly, I was horribly embarrased by the truly outlandish and bizzare behavior over the first few weeks. Thankfully 99% of the malcontents finally drifted away and let the rest of us to get on with the task at hand.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This thread's title was not a very good choice.I was a beta tester for Flight. But the beta was rushed and we never even tested the release build (even though it included 757 bug fixes/changes).My guess is that some MS suit insisted that Flight had to be released by the end of February . . . no matter what. So the Flight Team did what they could to make this deadline, even though they knew that making 759 changes was bound to cause some issues. (Personally, I'm surprised there are not more issues.) My guess is that Flight will be updated fairly often.
Arwen,The store that is meant to support software purchases in Windows (in particular, Windows 8) is due out at the same time. So yes, another product's deadline was steering Flight's.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Hi Folks

Well stated Paul. Honestly, I was horribly embarrased by the truly outlandish and bizzare behavior over the first few weeks. Thankfully 99% of the malcontents finally drifted away and let the rest of us to get on with the task at hand.
Cheers Bill.That genuinely helps.I'm personally embarrased,having to admit,that those few participant's behaviour inhibited my contribution to the beta,to such an extent that I've still got approx 10 pages of notes which haven't been published.Many thanksATBPaul

I'm quite sure there was a Beta testing phase to this development. However, I have no idea what kind of machines they tested this "thing" on. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.I can tell you that the program crashed right out of the box. I downloaded the software and the installer executed. When asked, I clicked the box to run it now, and guess what - the screen turned black and that is ALL I got.Man, what a joke.fb
Kind of negative, perhaps?many/most of us are running W7 64 bit. Pretty sure at least one of beta testers may have had it installed...Did you try clicking on the black screen? I did get a black screen and a mouse click brought up the flight intro page.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I doubt seriouslyl that the problem is with my system. I run FSX, X-Plane, DCS aircraft, ad nausiam and I don't have any problems.I run all my software under Admin privileges. UAC is turned off.One thing I haven't tried is turning off my security software. Does Flight require an Internet connection? If so, the installer needs to impart that info to the user.fb
has to be on your end ... I am certain the thousands upon thousands have not problem with the program.

Once more for clarity - I have absolutely no axe to grind towards the Flight Beta Test Team. I'm quite sure they did a fantastic job. But, having been a FSX tester there were configurations that caused problems with the software. Also, there were software issues that caused improper operation of the software.Regarding the OS - Yes, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. However, I'm running an ORIGINAL install of the OS. After chasing Windows updates and having FSX crash every other update, I decided to install Windows one time and turn off all updates. That may raise some eyebrows but I have not had to uninstall and re-install FSX since I made that decision.My computer system is very large and complicated. I have MANY USB controllers. I have two graphics cards supporting 6 monitors of various sizes. One of my monitors is a large touch screen.I have FSX, DCS-A-10C, Black Shark 1 and 2, two versions of IL-2 Sturmovik, Falcon BMS, two versions of Lock-On, Wings of Prey and Luftwaffe, Rise of Flight, and Battle of Britain. I also have X-Plane. I do not have a single problem with any of those software packages. Now comes along Flight and right away there is a display issue.I am prepared to conceed that there may be an issue between my hardware-software configurations and Flight. I am not prepared to believe that my focus should be on Flight instead of my "stuff." Not to be combative but I have no intension of changing my system just to run Flight. After all, this is a new software package just coming out of Beta testing. If this package is similar to FSX, there WILL be updates to fix all sorts of "bugs." As most of you can imagine, I have worked very hard to get my software to be stable and I have tweaked until I'm blue in the face.fb

Uninstall Flight, move on, enjoy all your other working software, and then try again in the future when Flight may be more stable for your system!

That is, of course, an option. I was hoping that maybe someone who had the same problem had a solution. I guess that is not to be. I'll wait for the re-write.Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread.fb

Frank, I do well remember the struggle you had trying to get all your hardware and software to "behave," so I have a great deal of empathy for your experiences thus far.As I said, the exact same thing (black screen) greeted me the very first time Flight loaded here on my main flightsim rig. After pressing the space bar once, it cleared up and I've never encountered the problem since.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi n4gix! Nice to see you again. I am still grateful for the help last year in customizing my FSX setup! ;-)fbass, I am using the same Matrox T2G digital edition with triple displays, and a GTX460 card, with 8GB ram on Windows 7x64 home premium. So in that regard we are similar in hardware. I did have some 'issues' getting Flight up and running, but I also had to stop and address their request for some more complete information in my Windows Live profile before the game would start. So I had things running, closed, minimized, restarted several times before I was finally running the game. But it does run OK now.One thing I wanted to say - the game installed for me with "Medium" graphics settings across the board. I have no idea if there is yet a way to view FPS in this game as it is running, but I wanted to see how bad things would be if I maxed out the graphics. So I bumped up the main graphics setting to High. What happened after that I am going to presume 'may' be a bug. But since you have a similar graphics hardware package to me, and you are having problems, this might help you somehow.With the graphic settings switched up to High, I cannot use the mouse to click ANYTHING at all on the screen. Not even to close the Options menu to resume the flight, or even to go back and reduce the graphics setting to Medium again. If I use the mouse, the game minimizes to the desktop. I can click on the task bar icon for it, and it will again display. If I click on anything at all, it minimizes. However, if I click the task bar icon and get it to display, and then ONLY use the keyboard to access the menus and such, it runs flawlessly. ?? I think it's some kind of bug. BUT......After I shut the game down, and then started it back up later, still on High graphics, the problem abated itself, and now I can use High graphics AND the mouse on the menus. Weird.I should mention that I did not install the game files to the C drive. I am using an SSD now for the C drive, and it is only 130GB, so I don't install any games on it. They all go on other hard drives. I also went into the settings and moved ALL the storage settings they have for various download content and such away from all their default C drive-based locations and put them where I wanted them on another hard drive. I know from experience and reading lots of forum posts that FSX runs better when it is NOT installed to C. So perhaps that will also be the case for MS Flight.I hope some of this info proves helpful. :)All that said, I AM disappointed with MS Flight. I'll be nice, and just politely say that, for what it gives me, their pricing scheme is outrageous. It would be VERY easy to spend far more in a couple days on MS Flight than I have spent for all of the FSX Gold + Acceleration software and all the many GB of satellite imagery based photorealistic scenery I have bought for FSX from 3 different vendors online. Not to mention I can fly anywhere in the world in FSX, and am not limited to a single tiny set of islands. MS Flight looks nice. But it isn't photorealistic. Now, if they had licensed Google Earth imagery to use in the game, and THEN added their nice 3D buildings atop that imagery, I might feel it is worth the prices they are asking for the upgrade content. But $10 for a P51 that has no cockpit?? The P51 is a really sweet plane, as evidenced as an addon in FSX and how nice it flies. It seems a shame to not have a cockpit in it in this new game, even if it were one as basic as what they put in the Icon A5 (which as no HSI!, and apparently no working flaps).Overall I am disappointed, for sure.