Sign in to follow this  
socalguy85

My Favorite Plane So Far

My favorite plane so far, after a few days flying is the Maule. Least is the Icon. Don't Icons have mixture controls, and flaps? Never seen a real one, don't know, but the one in Flight, I don't like. Only thing I do like is, it's ampbibian, so yeah you can land on the water. Would rather have a Goose, for that.The Maule is worth the price to be able to do all the freight missions etc. But I am having problems making a smooth landing--I seem to do OK UNTIL over the threshold, then, drop too quick, and the medical evac patient/dogs/ducks whatever, don't care for it. It IS a SAFE landing, but there's a pretty hard SPLAT. Could be I'm no good with taildraggers yet, lol. Any hints?

The Icon is auto-mixture, so no control. At the time the plane was created for Flight, it did not have flaps, but recent changes at Icon have reintroduced them.Personally, I love the Icon. Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

My favourite is the Stearman - just love it!As for taildragger landing expect to float down the runway loosing speed until the nose comes up and it's just about to stall. Also having the brakes on as you cross the threshold helps to transfer the weight of the aircraft to the front where it is needed - helps to stop bouncing. Tail dragger gear configuration is reverse to tri-cycle gear vehicles - so you have to do things in reverse. Trying to hit the stripes at the threshold is a mistake.

Mike Beckwith

LSA aircraft (Icon is an LSA) dont have mixture. Its got automixture in the engine (Rotax 912). Its made to simplify flying. The Icon was based off an early production design, but they have since modified it to include flaps. I dont know if the team will edit the flaps in or not. Wouldent take me more then 20 mins...

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Ditto Mike, love the Stearman, and am enjoying the RV-6 too. But in Anaglyph 3D, those supports and wires in the Stearman look so good!

My favourite is the Stearman - just love it!As for taildragger landing expect to float down the runway loosing speed until the nose comes up and it's just about to stall. Also having the brakes on as you cross the threshold helps to transfer the weight of the aircraft to the front where it is needed - helps to stop bouncing. Tail dragger gear configuration is reverse to tri-cycle gear vehicles - so you have to do things in reverse. Trying to hit the stripes at the threshold is a mistake.
same here - LOVE flying the Stearman! enjoy the flight model, the sounds, and (surprisingly for a biplane) the visibility...I thought I would also enjoy the Maule, but just can't enthused about it...kinda like the family pickup truck...it does a great job, but nothing exciting about it...to me at least

Hmmm, why do I find the Maule so cumbersome? That Maule always gets mushy during approaches, unlike the FSX version. Do you Maule pilots experience that or do I just not get along with tail draggers? Stearman seems that way too but not as pronounced. Looking forward to more tri-gear aircraft to goof around with. I prefer the RV-6: Nimble, lots of power, IFR capable, and stable at MCA.

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Stearman seems that way too but not as pronounced.
I feel exactly opposite...maybe for me it's due to more familiarity with the Stearman than with the Maule? I'm used to flying lower power-to-weight ratio aircraft in the "real world", that may also be a part. Of course, dragging anything in with full flaps to minimize ground run always seemed "mushy"...yea, I know, random thoughts...more coffee!

Of course, dragging anything in with full flaps to minimize ground run always seemed "mushy"...
Very true, and I am used to and proficient with 172's, Warriors and Archers that are actually pretty stable under those conditions. So, I guess I need more stick time with these guys, but admittedly I am not comfortable piloting them! I want a Skyhawk or Warrior to make its appearance...and more coffee.Cheers,

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I'm going to go against the tide and say my favorite so far is the Icon. Easy to fly and landing on water gives you more places to land. The RV is also a lot of fun. I don't do well with the tail draggers.

LSA aircraft (Icon is an LSA) dont have mixture.
That's not always the case, Most LSAs do in fact utilize the Rotax engine where you are correct that there's no mixture. The Cessna SkyCatcher which is an LSA uses a Continental O-200 engine where there is mixture control.

My favorite plane so far, after a few days flying is the Maule.
I have heard this from another friend also. I only have the Hawaiian expansion pack so I have the RV-6a only and the default aircraft. So far, I LOVE the RV-6a. It is a perfectly modelled aircraft and it flies so nicely.

The RV6 would be my number 1 for now, followed very closely by the Stearman - just love the sound of that engine.I have only done one mission in the Maule for now - think it was the first landing challenge for it - seemed like it felt like I was flying a tank or something. I am sure I will probably like it a little better as I fly it more and get more used to it.