Sign in to follow this  

So you think 20 bucks is too much for the adventure pack...?

Guest Antlab
Whose 'suffering'? Lol - And what's all this about empty airports? Today there were a handful of different aircraft at one small airport. In less time that it takes to load other sims, I was flying and talking with 'pilots' from Estonia, Romania, & Britain...
And all probably are asking themself:" Is there a strike of the air controllers today?":-)Sorry, I respect many opinions, but for me a big airport, also if graphically detailed, without a functioning control tower/ATC kills any sense of immersion.A.

The price is fair, but only if I can use the aircraft systems. I want to see more features before I plunk down the cash. I will say that I am very rapidly getting more and more into flight the more I play it. Once the devs deliver the not so sexy features like radio nav, GPS, systems failures, extra axes and trackir will they have my cash.

Woud you care to make an estimate on how much Microsoft spent on development of Flight and the current DLC? I suspect they won't break even for a year or two based on various comments from MS. Greed? No. Gamble is more the correct term, and they need to recover development costs.If you don't want to buy the DLC, then don't.Hook
Lol, who cares if they're not making all that much, they could be negative in the millions and it wouldn't phase Microsoft. I agree though, they are definitely in the negatives right now, but with their current business model, they are going to make a lot of money, that is for sure.You're kind of forced into buying the DLC. Us being the way we are, we want to buy it all, because I don't think it would be all that fun flying from CYYZ to KSEA with little scenery in between.What if we want to practice forced approaches, or use certain waypoints along route, it's going to be difficult to do that without the scenery. <-- Just examplesPoint is, most of us are going to purchase 70% of the scenery.We'll see the route they go, there is definitely a lot of potential for the game, I haven't completely turned my back on Microsoft.

Twenty bucks says it was more than twenty bucks... ; )
Actually here is the deal, FSDT, you pay $55 CAN and you get all the major airports in Hawaii...PHNL, PHKO, PHOG, PHLI, PHTO - $11 bucks an airport..all to the same quality and detail, Charts, ATC, control hanger doors and all the features of FSX...and you can actually fly to San Fransisco, Seattle, Vancouver, San Diego etc. Or Australia, NZ...not flying in circles around the islands.Someone asked about the cars....as you approach the airport more and more cars fill the airport parking lots and parkades until they are full.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Why are people STILL trying to claim there is no radio navigation in Flight?

How did you know it was a slide show? There's no frame rate counter. Oh wait...Hook
23 FPS @ airport....30 (limited) outside.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Also, FSX add-ons are worth more because you generally get more with your purchase (planes) and it is far more likely that what you bought is pretty close to what you want to be entertained with.
You also pay more and it is usually the plane only, no mission pack or any extra stuff.

+1 makes you wonder how much flying they have done in Flight .Also I find myself in multiplayer sessions showing some guys how we can actually use Voice in the comm radios in Flight .the answer i get = I wish FSX had this feature out of the box . Now going on another subject I THINK someone UP THERE had the idea of releasing one aircraft with every new package and it looks like the idea will carry on. Also someone got some good numbers and the overall reaction to previews ATC and had the idea of trying to replace every AI plane with a human at the controls for a more realistic results . No more work spent on developing ATC and a better experience for the users ofcourse that with things been rush out of the door i figure someone did not have the time to include the Info to educate a New pilot on how to interact in a realistic way when it comes to a flight enviroment but thats always a easy thing to do later on with a Flight School of some kind . as far as some 3RD Devs goes . Its hard to tell if some are not already involve in some of the Flight DLC , I know who i have in mind when i look at the water in flight .

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Actually here is the deal, FSDT, you pay $55 CAN and you get all the major airports in Hawaii...PHNL, PHKO, PHOG, PHLI, PHTO - $11 bucks an airport..all to the same quality and detail, Charts, ATC, control hanger doors and all the features of FSX...and you can actually fly to San Fransisco, Seattle, Vancouver, San Diego etc. Or Australia, NZ...not flying in circles around the islands.
With the Hawaiian Pack, subtracting the cost of the RV, you are getting literally the scenery for just $5 for all the airports + detailed scenery outside of the airports.Now if you fly to any of those cities, they are not very detailed until you buy yet another addon, to cover up the default scenery, which you also already paid for.

Because there's no indication that it works, and the radios are fiddly to turn on and set. Even the ILS landing challenge doesn't mention the radios, nor even give you the correct frequency! I only found out that the nav radio works by reading this forum.

You can use radio navigation without purchasing the add-ons? I haven't tried tuning the Icon's radios because I assumed from everyone elses posts that it wasn't working! I'll give it a spin tonight and if so I'll probably buy the pack tonight. :)

Hi all,just wanted to share my thoughts here on this topic.from a marketing point of view, I'd say the 20 buck are fine initially, as the whole Flight thing is FREE. Microsoft want to generate some money for their developed product. Makes sense, right?Then people might be more interested in a new plane and again 15 buck are alright, initially.You've noticed I uses "initially" right? Here's my point:I'm assuming, that MS intends to let Flight grow to the extends we are used to from its predecessors. Looking at my installation of FSX I'm seeing hundreds of different aircraft, scenery addons and such. Now, personally, I think in the long run prices need to come down. A lot. I'm really put off by the idea of MS suggesting I could spend 8 bucks on a plane that has no VC. Even the Maule for 15 bucks, it's nicely modeled and seems to be a great product. It's just that it's not actually my cup of tea. Right now the offer is quite spare, but that's to expect just after the launch. And here come into play a phenomenon that Valve describes as price elasticity (http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell) Very interesting read, I found.In a nutshell: you have a certain product you are selling for a 100% of the price. But that price a lot of people are not willing to pay for what it is or are not able to. Cutting the asking price for the same product down, let's exaggerate and say to 10%, all those people not willing or not able to buy, rethink their decision and as it seems quite cheap, a lot more people are buying it. Valve found out, that the regardless of the price, their gross revenue DID NOT CHANGE!And that's my point: To make Flight successful it needs to be enjoyable for a broad mass of people. Let's say I'm having 100 aircraft in my current FSX installation. I can tell you with certainty, that I won't pay 1500$ on aircraft, regardless how great they will be.On the other hand I'm not saying I won't be spending 1500$ over the years to come for addons. If the price is right. People don't think much about if they should spend 2, 3 or 4 bucks on an addon, they just click and buy.Chances are they fly around in their new aircraft for a bit and then move over to something else unless it's a true revelation in terms of flightsimming to them. There might be certain addons out there, e.g. vrsimulations F/A-18E SuperBug, which is loaded with features, which are completely worth their price and I'm happy to pay it.Think about the app stores generating a huge revenue for programmers. Those are sold for the price of the coffee and so are many indie games. And it works. I doubt the individuals behind those apps put less work into their software compared to creating an aircraft. For professional animators, modelers and programmers, creating a plane or scenery is not a big deal. Trust me I'm coming from that industry.I guess there will be a day when you can browse the scenery and aircraft library in search of thing that draw your interest. Oh that's interesting, Carrier Operations, F-14 Tomcat, and a Vancouver addon... Price tag 50$... hmm no rather not! ... or ... hmm 15$, awesome, I'll grab the Hornet and the Harrier as well Price tag 25$. And many more other people will, too!Thanks

Now if you fly to any of those cities, they are not very detailed until you buy yet another addon, to cover up the default scenery, which you also already paid for.
Sibtiger in another post i was over 100$ in aditional content for FSX just to do one flight with all the bells and whistles, ill try to cover that again .here we go Walk out to the store with today prices and FSX its 30$ get home and lets say you want to flight KTPA to KMIA but you dont like the default airports and you have a credit card yelling at you to get out and make things look better (yes you get the world on FSX but we all went to the simmarket to replace what was already included) so here we go to the FLYtampa site and get both KTPA 30$ and KMIA 22$. Oh wait look at the clouds and this weather . nope i want something better lets see what REX can do ? another 40$ that gives you alot for the 40$ when it comes to weather . and lets see what ill be flying to KMIA ??? yeah i got alot of choices but man that PMDG NGX sure looks sweeettt another 70 down the road (by the way that plane should of cust more than 70$) . Pull out the calculator and till this day no one its mad about how much we blew on FSX . this was just to compare what we did before and what we will have to do again . simple as that .

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Because there's no indication that it works
Other than the NAV Flags hiding, the needles moving, the DME counter coming to life and even the ident tones if you press the button for it?
and the radios are fiddly to turn on and set.
Fiddly? Pressing the avionics power switch and rotating the tuning knob with the mouse wheel is "fiddly?" I guess we have different definitions of the word.
Even the ILS landing challenge doesn't mention the radios
That such a Challenge exists should be a pretty good indication that the nav radios work. And honestly, if a user knows what an ILS is, he's going to know it involves using the radios. If he doesn't know what it is, he's not going to be able to complete the Challenge very effectively until he does learn about it.
nor even give you the correct frequency!
I haven't flown an ILS landing challenge yet, but I feel that the frequency probably should be dialed in for you, but I guess it's not.
I only found out that the nav radio works by reading this forum.
I just tried flipping switches and turning knobs to see what works and what doesn't in each plane. /shrug/