Sign in to follow this  

So you think 20 bucks is too much for the adventure pack...?

It's all about choice, which Flight doesn't offer-- and will probably never offer. For example, I can choose to buy and install detailed scenery for Dallas. I can choose from not one but several different packages-- or even go freeware if I want. I know down the road that someone else will create another detailed scenery package of Dallas. In Flight you get to choose whatever MS decides to make. Even when third parties come online in one or two years, there is no given that the third parties we would want will participate-- or that there will be a third party who makes a scenery of Dallas (assuming Dallas will even be included). That is why people are readily willing to spend money on FSX, because you can decide for yourself what, how and where you want to fly. Spend $15.00 for an RV6 in Flight and that may be the last time that model is ever made...

How long did it take 3PD to produce a good package? I remember well the time when they wanted to stick with fs9 instead and that lasted for quite a well. Flight has only been released for two weeks. Also, the number of choices depends on what 3PD wants to make and what they think is going to market well. There are a lot of scenery and plane that I want to see and are currently not available nor do I think they will become anytime soon.

It's all about choice, which Flight doesn't offer-- and will probably never offer. For example, I can choose to buy and install detailed scenery for Dallas. I can choose from not one but several different packages-- or even go freeware if I want. I know down the road that someone else will create another detailed scenery package of Dallas. In Flight you get to choose whatever MS decides to make. Even when third parties come online in one or two years, there is no given that the third parties we would want will participate-- or that there will be a third party who makes a scenery of Dallas (assuming Dallas will even be included). That is why people are readily willing to spend money on FSX, because you can decide for yourself what, how and where you want to fly. Spend $15.00 for an RV6 in Flight and that may be the last time that model is ever made...
Hypothetical question, or maybe you actually know the answer... How long after the release of FSX was the first detailed scenery of Dallas offered? Maybe Flight will never have it, maybe it will... but it's only been released 2 weeks... FSX has just about everything you could want avaliable NOW, but it's been out for what, 6 years or more?

And of course the flight simulation hardware market is going to be all over this.http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/tpm.htmltpmmain.png

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

For scenery DLC it's probably OK. As I have stated, I'm sort of torn by the way it seems Flight is going to work; starting with one area (well, one island) and a couple of planes, then, adding areas, and aircraft later. On the one hand, it will make Flight sort of expensive. But, as I've posted before the GOOD in this is, once more areas, and planes come out I (and you) can create exactly the sim we want. For example, I don't care about airliners. Probably wouldn't buy any. I do, however, like flying multi engine piston driven aircraft, and business type jets. So, when the 737 comes out, I probably won't care. But when the Gulfstream V, or Lear, or King Air ....well, you get the idea.Same with scenery areas. Europe, South America, don't care. North America, I'd like. In fact, California would keep me plenty busy.Just my opinion....

When you approach city, you get also this sensation of approaching a gray shade world.I dont know if this is an impact of the new dynamic lighting but it seems to me that it doesnt render the exact impression of approaching a town with different type of materials and colors on the buildings..
Agreed. That's one of the (few) things I don't like about MS Flight. From a distance a city looks like a bunch of completely grey blocks. No color, no reflections, no nothing. Pure grey boxes. It isn't until you get close that you begin to see detail. It's shame because everytime I see a big city in the distance it makes me fully aware of the fact I am flying in a computer game.

Other than the NAV Flags hiding, the needles moving, the DME counter coming to life and even the ident tones if you press the button for it?
My point is that since a lot of other things don't do anything on the panel (com radios, autopilot etc), many people see no reason to screw around with the small (at default eyepoint and zoom, which 99% of players use) avionics stack, and thus never discover that there are nav radios that work. Personally, I did twiddle the knobs a bit, then went back to normal IFR (I Follow Roads) operation - never cared much for instrument flying anyway :).And the ILS landing mission should be preceded by an ILS landing tutorial, of course. I guess they didn't have the time to make one, but they could at least set the radios for you, or at the VERY least MENTION the fact that it works and give you the frequency in the actual challenge.Overall, though, this is an awesome game. It might or might not nickel and dime us to death, but in my book this is the first bush flying simulator out there!

And here come into play a phenomenon that Valve describes as price elasticity (http://www.geekwire....ves-gabe-newell) Very interesting read, I found.
thanks for posting that link - it is a very good article and you can see how similar thinking lead Microsoft's decisions with Flight.I bought the Hawaii DLC last night. It was painless compared to my experience with past FS addons. There was no intrusive amateur DRM and messing with Email activation codes, no rebooting to complete installation, no performance issues. I continued to play while the sim updated itself in the background with the new content, which is incredible value given the challenges, missions, plane and scenery.

My point is that since a lot of other things don't do anything on the panel (com radios, autopilot etc), many people see no reason to screw around with the small (at default eyepoint and zoom, which 99% of players use) avionics stack, and thus never discover that there are nav radios that work. Personally, I did twiddle the knobs a bit, then went back to normal IFR (I Follow Roads) operation - never cared much for instrument flying anyway :).
Fair enough. I like to push buttons and see what they do. It get's me in trouble sometimes. :Nerd:
And the ILS landing mission should be preceded by an ILS landing tutorial, of course. I guess they didn't have the time to make one, but they could at least set the radios for you, or at the VERY least MENTION the fact that it works and give you the frequency in the actual challenge.
I strongly agree.
Overall, though, this is an awesome game. It might or might not nickel and dime us to death, but in my book this is the first bush flying simulator out there!
Ditto!

Hypothetical question, or maybe you actually know the answer.
At least a minimum one or two years for a third party DLC marketplace according to Joshua Howard (Microsoft). Then on top of that probably another year or two for companies to develop the software for the store-- unless MS releases the SDK and store "rules criteria" earlier. So while FSX took years to flesh out like it has (you have a valid point), it gives us multiple choices.

Agreed. That's one of the (few) things I don't like about MS Flight. From a distance a city looks like a bunch of completely grey blocks. No color, no reflections, no nothing. Pure grey boxes. It isn't until you get close that you begin to see detail. It's shame because everytime I see a big city in the distance it makes me fully aware of the fact I am flying in a computer game.
Interesting that you had the same feeling. It was never discussed or noted on this forum unless I have oversees it...... Dont know if others have the same finding.Nice glasses by the way... bring the summer now in the northern hemisphere....

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Interesting that you had the same feeling. It was never discussed or noted on this forum unless I have oversees it...... Dont know if others have the same finding.Nice glasses by the way... bring the summer now in the northern hemisphere....
I also didn't read about it before (and I've read a lot :wink: ). Maybe no one minds... can't imagine that, though, because those grey blocks don't fit in the otherwise beatiful surroundings.Yeah, hehe, it's about time for some sun...! :wink:

In FSX, buildings are a bit too colorful to the point of looking a bit cartoonish. I guess MS is trying to mute it somewhat but overdone it like what they have done with night textures.

At least a minimum one or two years for a third party DLC marketplace according to Joshua Howard (Microsoft). ......
Would you kindly post a link to where he said there was going to be third party? What I read was that in a couple of years they MIGHT consider INVESTING on bringing more people IN. I read that as bringing more people into the MS fold, not anything close to an SDK.