Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Damage/overstress model in XP10...

Does XP10 include a damage model? When aircraft are taken beyond their limits, does it show?Pulling a C172 out of a dive at 180kts will have any effect on it's structure?On my last version of xplane (long ago...) Austin included some sort of message like: "I will now take one of the stabilizers out..." or something then like when components failled due to overstress...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

some planes do (e.g. Seabee). none of the default afaik. you also need to enable it in "operations & warnings" menu.

The stock C172SP is literally indestructible. Would be nice to have some realism in this area.

The stock C172SP is literally indestructible.
Well, it needs to be considering how whacked around it gets in the slightest whisper of wind!! Just%20Kidding.gif

To address the OP, the stock C172 G tolerance is set at 4.5.I'm not that familiar with Cessna's (i'm more of a Beech pilot) but +4.5 G's seems a bit high for a single engine GA. But I could be wrong.In comparison, the Beech Duchess, which is a twin engine, has a positive G tolerance of 3.8 G's.

Without checking the manual, 4+ G's sounds about right for the 172S. That's going from memory though.

Well, thank you all for the replies.I will try it as soon as I get xp10 demo back running ....Turning more and more towards xplane10 from day to day... Shittt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't supposed!!!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The stock C172SP is literally indestructible. Would be nice to have some realism in this area.
You sure about that? I seem to recall causing damage when extending flaps at too high a speed rendering the plane unflayable. The 3D model didn't break apart, but it certainly affected the flight modeling.

BTW: I do not care about visual aspects of damage, but I do consider mandatory, in a flightsim, that overstress is modelled...This is absent from FLIGHT, this and other mandatory (at least for me...) details...It's probably me being picky, but I AM THAT WAY :-).... And... at least xplane, even if somehow erraticaly, evolves.....

Main Simulation Rig:

You sure about that? I seem to recall causing damage when extending flaps at too high a speed rendering the plane unflayable. The 3D model didn't break apart, but it certainly affected the flight modeling.
You are all right. The model didn’t break and that what I mean by «indestructible». So, if you fly according to the procedure (which I did), this should’t be an issue.According to the POH, the C172 has a +4.5G (Utility, flap up) to +3.8 (Normal, flap up) manoeuvring structural tolerance.

They break alright, loose their entire flaps & become unmanageable--believe me & I've seen reply posts from some of the X-Plane Gentry saying it was probably over set. (Anyone interested in a lorry load of assorted flaps?--like cheap!)