Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

New Aircraft Teaser - Second Screenshot

What relevance does that have to this minute?

I'm willing to bet if FSX had a scenery area 5000 times smaller than it actually does it would have been done it about 2 days...

I thought you knew! You brought it up.

You are comparing Flight (2 month old) against FSX (6 years old, plus some 20 years of enhancements since FS1 incarnation and publicly available SDK since 2004)

As for your bet, I decline, as it would probably take me 2 years.

In regards to not being able to get anything like that in FSX, even with top add-ons, that's just not true. Hell, you can get plenty of freeware for Hawaii that makes Flight's offerings look terrible.

I could now download a few freeware aircraft and scenery packages which would make Hawaii in FSX obliterate Hawaii in Flight!

Please, post some pictures in the Screenshots forum. I'd like to compare.

I've bought most all the FSX add-ons for Hawai'i. I've made a couple of freeware releases for Hawai'i. Granted it's up to personal interpretation, but my FSX Hawai'i still looks much like the default, ie cartoonish. What I miss in Flight from FSX is not something I care about. Those being moving traffic and living world, AI flying in and out of the airports. If I want those all I have to do is fire up FSX.

Let me know when you get Barking Sands posted or Waimea-Kohala or take a picture of Port Allen or Panda. I'd like to see how well your FSX does compared to Flight.

Please, post some pictures in the Screenshots forum. I'd like to compare.

I've bought most all the FSX add-ons for Hawai'i. I've made a couple of freeware releases for Hawai'i. Granted it's up to personal interpretation, but my FSX Hawai'i still looks much like the default, ie cartoonish. What I miss in Flight from FSX is not something I care about. Those being moving traffic and living world, AI flying in and out of the airports. If I want those all I have to do is fire up FSX.

Let me know when you get Barking Sands posted or Waimea-Kohala or take a picture of Port Allen or Panda. I'd like to see how well your FSX does compared to Flight.

I can't do it anytime soon. My FSX PC is in a different city at the moment. It's not even installed on this PC. I will however, when I have the resources!

In regards to not being able to get anything like that in FSX, even with top add-ons, that's just not true. Hell, you can get plenty of freeware for Hawaii that makes Flight's offerings look terrible.I could now download a few freeware aircraft and scenery packages which would make Hawaii in FSX obliterate Hawaii in Flight!

That's simply a blanket statement. The level of detail that is in Flight as it stands with no add-ons (for Flight doesn't use 3rd party add-ons) far exceeds that of default FS9 or FSX. Let's stick with the default engines for now.

As it is Flight's graphics environment of the Hawaiian Islands is superb! To say "The one thing Flight does do right is haze, and frankly that's about it." is just flat wrong, and poor observation.

You've omitted the obvious:

1.) dynamic light and shadows interacting not just on and within the planes, but all over the scenery. FS9 and FSX look very cartoony comparitively - and it doesn't matter how much add-on scenery you add on, they all are subject to the lesser default graphics engine.

2.) Haze isn't the only thing. Simply slipping into the clouds is a totally new sensation with Flight, that FSX or 9 can never achieve. The direct sense of motion between the cloud vapor and the airplane actually fools your eyes. That is something that the "As Real As it Gets" FSX doesn't achieve.

3.) foliage movement - all the foliage moves. Not so with FS9 or FSX. The foliage is swaying in Flight..

4.) very smart autogen. I'm fairly certain there is an autogen going on, but it's far superior to FS9 or FSX.

I'm sure other Flight users can add more.

It is rather pointless to make a slap at MS Flight and just make blanket statements without good research.

I'm fairly certain there are enough flyers here who are very knowledgable about the limitations of FS9 and FSX. We all know that Flight treads on new grounds and we are all aware of the critics howl over it. I say, get over it, and let Flight stand where it is and let it grow and be successful in that arena, it's a brand-new arena that FS9 and FSX didn't even attempt to enter.

Sure AllFiredUp, gladly! How about:

Far superior flight model and physics

Extremely detailed default aircraft (both exterior and interior) with great flying characteristics

Sudden shifts of wind affecting aircraft properly and in a realistic manner

Trees looking like trees and not like 2D sprites

Bulidings looking much better than in FSX (also have reflections)

Water as well

I think that's more than enough.

P.S. I wonder when will all the hate go away. I hope we don't have to wait 6 years....

Cheers

P.S. I wonder when will all the hate go away. I hope we don't have to wait 6 years....

Hello

It is not about Hate, Hate is far to strong a word to throw around lightly.

It is only about sadness and disappointment to see a vibrant and advancing hobby being reduced to the level of the Mustang and Zero DLC offerings

It is just sad to witness this after spending so many years in the hobby.

It is only about sadness and disappointment to see a vibrant and advancing hobby being reduced to the level of the Mustang and Zero DLC offerings

Quite often I share those feelings you expressed, and I don’t know how long I will enjoy Flight as it is. But let’s give Flight a fair chance, in my case a year perhaps?

Cheers

I'm giving them three months. In that time, if they do not indicate strongly (through DLC releases and information provided about future plans) that they are doing an "about-face" in the direction they're currently going with Flight, I see no reason to stick around. Flight offers some truly fantastic things, but my frustration in what it lacks and in the caliber of it's add-ons is beginning to outweigh it's virtues.

Hello

Not every negative post is about hate but many of them are. I understand the disappointment but Flight needs a fair chance and some time. It has yet to evolve. What will it evolve in, has to be seen. Hopefully, it will start including more and more things and move in a forward direction. I was the first one to rage about the third cockpitless warbird and i think it's a horrible strategy by Microsoft but i also believe great things are coming for us, simmers, in future DLC. Of course, i could be very wrong but still, i am willing to give it time (as we were all willing to do with FSX years ago). I believe it deserves it.

Cheers

In regards to not being able to get anything like that in FSX, even with top add-ons, that's just not true. Hell, you can get plenty of freeware for Hawaii that makes Flight's offerings look terrible.

I could now download a few freeware aircraft and scenery packages which would make Hawaii in FSX obliterate Hawaii in Flight!

As others have already said, I eagerly wait your results. I say this because I tried and could not find anthing that even comes close.

I'd love to see it too, especially in a video showing nice, fluid frame-rates.

Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif

Yeah I agree.

In addition in FSX you have the real freedom of flying in whatever airport and region of the world. The standard ones are cheap but the 3rd party addons airports and scenarios are gorgeous.

BTW, REX Essential for FSX is coming and it will hit hardly the cheap clouds of Flight.

If all this is true, (3rd warbird, probably no VC) then this is very disappointing.

I have been playing Flight less lately. Hopefully the Alaska DLC will renew my interest.

Just out of interest...how many others are finding themselves spending less time in FLIGHT?

I have not played Flight in over two weeks and counting now, I will wait for Alaska and see where it goes. Such a shame because the basic package was such a teaser. I bought into everything except the cockpitless aircraft as I like to sit behind the stick. I do check into the MSFlight site for future changes, but it all seems strangley quiet. There used to be a lot more comments, but even those have tapered off.

Yeah I agree.

In addition in FSX you have the real freedom of flying in whatever airport and region of the world. The standard ones are cheap but the 3rd party addons airports and scenarios are gorgeous.

BTW, REX Essential for FSX is coming and it will hit hardly the cheap clouds of Flight.

“In addition in FSX you have the real freedom of flying in whatever airport and region of the world.”

True

“The standard ones are cheap but the 3rd party addons airports and scenarios are gorgeous.”

Depends on what you buy.

“BTW, REX Essential for FSX is coming and it will hit hardly the cheap clouds of Flight.”

Maybe, I’ll believe when I see.

HowardHughes, on 19 April 2012 - 12:59 PM, said: I'm willing to bet if FSX had a scenery area 5000 times smaller than it actually does it would have been done it about 2 days...”

The problem Mark is that Mr. Hughes has taken more than the 2 days he said to procure us with an awesome scenery. I guess atm, a TWA flight is not available

I have not played Flight in over two weeks and counting now, I will wait for Alaska and see where it goes. Such a shame because the basic package was such a teaser. I bought into everything except the cockpitless aircraft as I like to sit behind the stick. I do check into the MSFlight site for future changes, but it all seems strangley quiet. There used to be a lot more comments, but even those have tapered off.

I agree, something seems to be going on. I for one am basically doing the aerocaches, and short free-flights.