Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Why should Microsoft support TrackIR?

I own Trackir 4 and used it with FSX. Personally, I would prefer that MS get the toe brakes working with pedals for those who have them and implement some of the other suggestions (concerns, complaints) from the users before spending a lot of time with Trackir. I use my hat switch to look around and have buttons programmed for external views so Trackir is pretty low on my list of wishes at this time.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

well if they are not going to model cockpits for over half of their planes - what is the point of adding code for NP TrackIR?

there is no purpose

..."head movements will always seem way more "real" than doing so with a finger"...

That's what she said! :LMAO:

I've used Facetracknoir with a number of sims, with mixed success. FSX was probably the most succesful.

It does use CPU as the face-tracking is done in software, but not a huge impact if you have at least two cores.

When it works well it does add to immersion, but generally its too flakey to use permanently.

Or I haven't set it up correctly, there is a LOT of tweaking you can do.

I think it can be nade to work with Flight, with even more fudging. I tried and gave up, and now have a virtual joystick I can't use messing up all my configs...

I'm sure trackir would be better, but its just too dorky to wear the hat etc.. :)

Still doubt that MS will actually release TrackIR support, but if they did that might tip the balance.

Cheers

Keith

Why should Microsoft support TrackIR? No, seriously.

For the same reason they should stop making crap cockpit-less planes: because their paying public (or a significant part of it) want it.

It's called market forces..If all those people who want TrackIR (not me as I don't have it) continue to subscribe to the Flight franchise (TIR support would also depend on having cockpits - no point in TIR with a rear-view eh? :wink:) after they have introduced TIR, they have a tiny victory there, and so do the users..Good feelings all round..On the other hand, it could be a clever ploy by MS to keep us all on sky-hooks for a while...

I sincerely hope they do implement it, as it would really send a sign that they are listening to their user-base (not just the lulz and l337 ones LOL)

j

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

FaceTrackNoir is more gimmicky then practical. You have to tune it, make sure lighting is just perfect, adjust a webcam blah blah blah. It does work but you have to act completely un-natural to get it so you can actually fly an airplane like a human being and not like an 8 year old wired on pixie sticks and kool-aid. Even then it'll skip a few frames, get out of sync, then you have to hit the reset key.. It's awful.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I always hoped that MS would (eventually) use Kinect for Windows to "replace" the need for TrackIR. I own both TrackIR and a Kinect for my Xbox. I would buy a Kinect for Windows in a heartbeat if I could use it with my various flight sims (fsx, xp etc.).

With that said, I would not use a flight sim without TrackIR or something better.

What really has me worried is that if they're not willing to include cockpits with their DLC planes, why would they want to take the time to work on TrackIr support?

MS would (eventually) use Kinect for Windows

I'm actually suprised they haven't already. I bet they do. It's a natural fit, surely? If you can drive a car with it, surely you can look around a cockpit with it?..You wouldn't need full control, just the head..I don't have Kinect, nor TIR..I'm a dinosaur..I like my hat switch

I'm also suprised that MS haven't released (or even talked about releasing - maybe they have?) Flight on XBOX360..seriously..And to be clear: I am not agitating for Flight on XBOX360 - I don't own one (my son does but he'd rather play Flight on his PC) :smile:

j

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

My thought is MS may be sitting on TIR support until the Kinect support is ready. They don't want to support "competing" hardware before their own alternative product.

Most replies seem to have missed the point of this thread, OP is not questioning the support of head tracking but rather the support of one particular brand of head tracking (TrackIR™) when it is just as easy to support all kinds of head tracking like FSX did via SimConnect (also making EZdok possible).

This video seems to indicate there is already some kind of support available.

Except for it being the first time I ever got motion sickness from a video, that was pretty interesting. What is FreeTrack?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;