Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

777-300 main gear

Hi all,

I once read that the last 2 tires of the main gear of the 777-300 actually turn several degrees to assist in turning the very long bird, not unlike the 747. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, are there any good videos or pictures that show it? If it is, PMDG have you guys decided to model it?

thanks,

mitch bowman

Hi,

Yes, it is true. But not only on the -300, all the 777's have the two last rows of wheels (wheels MLG 9-10 and 11-12) actuated by the steering system to help in turns. each axle turns right or loeft by 8 degrees on the -200's, and 6.5 degrees on the -300's. The system kicks in when the steering command is moved more than 10 degrees

The same system is on the A380 on the body gears. Unlike the 747's, where the entire body gears are moving around the shock strut.

Rgds,

Jerry

Wise thing to bring up! I suspect they should!

Hi,

Yes, it is true. But not only on the -300, all the 777's have the two last rows of wheels (wheels MLG 9-10 and 11-12) actuated by the steering system to help in turns. each axle turns right or loeft by 8 degrees on the -200's, and 6.5 degrees on the -300's. The system kicks in when the steering command is moved more than 10 degrees

The same system is on the A380 on the body gears. Unlike the 747's, where the entire body gears are moving around the shock strut.

Rgds,

Jerry

oh ok, i didnt know the 200s had it also. I havent been able to really see it in the countless videos i've watched. post any good clips you can find of the system.

mitch bowman

Hi,

Rgds,

Jerry

So which main wheels on the a380 rotate?

mitch bowman

The ones at the bottom of the view, identified as "steered wheels" ;)

Always a good thing to clarify.

Here is another picture of the mechanism. Quite complicated stuff.

016f5ce8.png

Always a good thing to clarify.

Here is another picture of the mechanism. Quite complicated stuff.

016f5ce8.png

I wouldn't want one of those things to run over my foot!!!

I wouldn't want one of those things to run over my foot!!!

Unfortunately some others have the experience.

A guy at CPH got run over by an A340 that was pulled out of the hangar. They had to amputate both his legs.

Pretty sure they will model it as the 747 main centre landing gears turns to assist the aircraft. They did that in the FS9 version ;) (i.e long time ago so why not now?)

Great :) Somehow i think you guys haven't told us everything :-D It really seems that the main parts are finished already...

regards,

Alexander Marx

Yes the main parts of the 777 are finished, now it's just the little bitty pieces that are getting extra special attention....

... And no we aren't telling you everything just yet.

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

Unfortunately some others have the experience.

A guy at CPH got run over by an A340 that was pulled out of the hangar. They had to amputate both his legs.

I can imagine it is quite difficult to get run over by something the size of an A340!

Danny

Yes the main parts of the 777 are finished, now it's just the little bitty pieces that are getting extra special attention....

... And no we aren't telling you everything just yet.

I just got more excited..